* PhD Style for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-05 17:17 Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2005-12-05 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm starting writting my phd thesis with ConTeXt in french. According to
the fact that I'll write it in french, I need to design a specific style
and consequently, I'll surely submit style-related questions soon.

Some advices ?

Best regards,

* Re: PhD Style for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-06 13:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-06 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm starting writting my phd thesis with ConTeXt in french. According
> to the fact that I'll write it in french, I need to design a specific
> style and consequently, I'll surely submit style-related questions soon.
>
> Some advices ?

just ask -)

since there is a basic layout defined,

\starttext

\chapter{whatever}

your thesis

\stoptext

is a starting point; define the style as you go.

Hans

* Re: PhD Style for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-06 17:04   ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2005-12-06 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen a écrit :

> Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm starting writting my phd thesis with ConTeXt in french. According
>> to the fact that I'll write it in french, I need to design a specific
>> style and consequently, I'll surely submit style-related questions soon.
>>
>> Some advices ?
>

> just ask -)
>
> since there is a basic layout defined,
>
> \starttext
>
> \chapter{whatever}
>
> your thesis
>
> \stoptext
>
> is a starting point; define the style as you go.
>
> Hans

Hi Hans,

I'm working on it now, I've build my document following a complete
structure (project, environment, products, components) as described in
the manual, well done...
The layout is now as I want using \setuplayout.
Currently, I'm working on title. I've found the
\setuplabeltext[fr][chapter=Chapitre] command to customize chapter name
but then, I will draw a line or graphics under my chapter title and
don't know how to deal with properly.

Moreover, I experienced some problems with TOC and the use of \title for
my introduction chapter (I don't want numbering on this).
Eventually, how can I bypass header or footer for a chapter page ?

Thanks, up to now I'm very pleased with ConTeXt, METAFUN and METAPOST !!!

* Re: PhD Style for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-06 19:37     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-06 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Hans Hagen a écrit :
>
>> Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm starting writting my phd thesis with ConTeXt in french.
>>> According to the fact that I'll write it in french, I need to design
>>> a specific style and consequently, I'll surely submit style-related
>>> questions soon.
>>>
>>> Some advices ?
>>

>> just ask -)
>>
>> since there is a basic layout defined,
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \chapter{whatever}
>>
>> your thesis
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> is a starting point; define the style as you go.
>>
>> Hans
>>

> Hi Hans,
>
> I'm working on it now, I've build my document following a complete
> structure (project, environment, products, components) as described in
> the manual, well done...
> The layout is now as I want using \setuplayout.
> Currently, I'm working on title. I've found the
> \setuplabeltext[fr][chapter=Chapitre] command to customize chapter
> name but then, I will draw a line or graphics under my chapter title
> and don't know how to deal with properly.
>
> Moreover, I experienced some problems with TOC and the use of \title
> for my introduction chapter (I don't want numbering on this).

look for sectionblocks (frontmatter/part, bodymatter/part etc) in the wiki

> Eventually, how can I bypass header or footer for a chapter page ?

\setuphead[chapter][header=high,footer=none]

Hans

* Re: PhD Style for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-06 20:53     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-12-06 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Renaud,

Since I ws dealing with some aspects of your questions recently ...

> I'm working on it now, I've build my document following a complete
> structure (project, environment, products, components) as described in
> the manual, well done...
> The layout is now as I want using \setuplayout.
> Currently, I'm working on title. I've found the
> \setuplabeltext[fr][chapter=Chapitre] command to customize chapter
> name but then, I will draw a line or graphics under my chapter title
> and don't know how to deal with properly.
>
> Moreover, I experienced some problems with TOC and the use of \title
> for my introduction chapter (I don't want numbering on this).
> Eventually, how can I bypass header or footer for a chapter page ?
>
> Thanks, up to now I'm very pleased with ConTeXt, METAFUN and METAPOST !!!

1. Lines under the chapter-title:
    If it should be a simple line then you can use
\setupbackgrounds[header][text][bottomframe=on].
    If it should be a graphical element one can think of approaches like:
    \setupcolors[state=start]
    \startuseMPgraphic{HeaderDeco}
            numeric w, h, repeats;
            path p[];
            w := OverlayWidth ; h := OverlayHeight ;
            repeats := abs(TextWidth/BodyFontSize);
            p[1] := unitsquare xscaled w yscaled h ;
            draw p[1] withcolor white;
            p[2] := fullcircle scaled BodyFontSize;
            p[3] := fullcircle scaled .25BodyFontSize;
            draw p[2] shifted (.5BodyFontSize,0);
            for i = 1 upto repeats:
                if odd i :
                    filldraw p[3] shifted (i*BodyFontSize+.5BodyFontSize,0);
                else :
                    draw p[2] shifted (i*BodyFontSize+.5BodyFontSize,0);
            fi;
           endfor;
    \stopuseMPgraphic

    \setuphead[chapter][command=\Myheader]
    \setupheadtext
          [chapter=Chapitre]
    \defineoverlay[HeaderDeco][\uniqueMPgraphic{HeaderDeco}]

    \def\Myheader#1#2{%
        \framedtext
            [width= \overlaywidth,
            height=6\bodyfontsize,
            background={foreground,HeaderDeco},
            offset=0pt,
            strut=no,
            frame=off,
            align=middle]{%
                \headtext{chapter} #1
                \blank[small]
                #2}}

\starttext
    \chapter{Here we go!}
\stoptext

   2. Bypassing header and footer: \noheaderandfooterlines or
\setuphead[chapter][header=high]

Kind regards

Willi