* Back to sidebars.
@ 2005-12-05 16:28 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-12-05 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some time back (maybe three years ago) Hans showed me a way to
create a sidebar, with optional background and hanging out half
way into the margin. Now I would like to encapsulate the commands
into a simple \start \stop sequence. But I don't know how to do
it.

Hans started off with some definitions:

\setupfloat
   [intermezzo]
   [leftmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
    rightmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
    default={outer,high}]
\setupcaption[intermezzo][location=none]

\defineframedtext
   [myohmy]
   [width=6cm,bodyfont=small,
frame=off,
backgroundcorner=round,
backgroundradius=16pt,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.7]

Then he called these two definitions with a sequence like:
(some text)
\placeintermezzo{}{\startmyohmy\input dawkins \relax\stopmyohmy}
(some text)

What I would like to do is boil down the last mentioned command
sequence into

\startsidebar
(some text)
\stopsidebar

But I am stumped by the task. If there were a \startintermezzo
and \stopintermezzo pairing then the task would be simpler.

John Culleton

* Re: Back to sidebars.
@ 2005-12-05 19:57 ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-12-05 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 05 December 2005 11:28 am, John R. Culleton wrote:
> Some time back (maybe three years ago) Hans showed me a way to
> create a sidebar, with optional background and hanging out half
> way into the margin. Now I would like to encapsulate the commands
> into a simple \start \stop sequence. But I don't know how to do
> it.
>
> Hans started off with some definitions:
>
> \setupfloat
>    [intermezzo]
>    [leftmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
>     rightmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
>     default={outer,high}]
> \setupcaption[intermezzo][location=none]
>
> \defineframedtext
>    [myohmy]
>    [width=6cm,bodyfont=small,
> frame=off,
> backgroundcorner=round,
> backgroundradius=16pt,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.7]
>

> Then he called these two definitions with a sequence like:
> (some text)
> \placeintermezzo{}{\startmyohmy\input dawkins \relax\stopmyohmy}
> (some text)
>
> What I would like to do is boil down the last mentioned command
> sequence into
>
> \startsidebar
> (some text)
> \stopsidebar
>
> But I am stumped by the task. If there were a \startintermezzo
> and \stopintermezzo pairing then the task would be simpler.
>
> John Culleton

After writing the above I went back to my roots and came up with
this:

\long\def\sidebar#1{\placeintermezzo{}{\startmyohmy #1 \relax\stopmyohmy}}

...which seems to work. Can anyone find a hole in this method?

Thanks,

John C.

* Re: Back to sidebars.
@ 2005-12-06  9:24   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-06  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

John R. Culleton wrote:

> \long\def\sidebar#1{\placeintermezzo{}{\startmyohmy #1 \relax\stopmyohmy}}
>
> ...which seems to work. Can anyone find a hole in this method?

Should be fine. If you like \start ... stop pairs, you can also do
it like this if you prefer:

   \long\def\startJCsidebar#1\stopJCsidebar%
      {\placeintermezzo{}{\startmyohmy #1 \relax\stopmyohmy}}

There already is a sidebar mechanism, so \startsidebar is 'taken'.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Back to sidebars.
@ 2005-12-06 17:40     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-12-06 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

since wich version is this command in the distro?
At least in my case with ConTeXt  ver: 2005.11.16  fmt: 2005.11.17
there is not.

Willi

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John R. Culleton wrote:
>

>> \long\def\sidebar#1{\placeintermezzo{}{\startmyohmy #1
>> \relax\stopmyohmy}}
>>
>> ...which seems to work. Can anyone find a hole in this method?
>

> Should be fine. If you like \start ... stop pairs, you can also do
> it like this if you prefer:
>
>   \long\def\startJCsidebar#1\stopJCsidebar%
>      {\placeintermezzo{}{\startmyohmy #1 \relax\stopmyohmy}}
>
> There already is a sidebar mechanism, so \startsidebar is 'taken'.
>
> Cheers, Taco

* Re: Back to sidebars.
@ 2005-12-06 18:14       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-06 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since wich version is this command in the distro?
> At least in my case with ConTeXt  ver: 2005.11.16  fmt: 2005.11.17
> there is not.

It is defined in plus-rul.tex, activated by

   \usemodule[plus]

I don't know whether it is documented or not, i found
it by grep-ping the context source files. (that is a
routine action for me: it helps prevent redefinitions)

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Back to sidebars.
@ 2005-12-06 20:55         ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-12-06 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)