* Re: Chinese
       [not found] <20051209110003.CF289127DF@ronja.ntg.nl>
@ 2005-12-09 11:06 ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2005-12-09 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus asks:

> What would be needed to get UTF-8 input running with Chinese?

If there is a recipe, I would like to help cook it. Getting UTF-8 input
running with Chinese would be a godsend to me too.

Duncan

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-14 22:19                                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-14 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> chinese is not yet defined in utf so if you want that, we need to do it
>
> We probably should.
>
>> question: do the unicode tables cover gbk and big 5 well?
>
> There exists a one-to-one correspondence between GBK and Unicode [1],
> for Big5 there are 7 characters which cannot be mapped one-to-one (see
> comment at top of [2]); thee of which appear twice in Big5 but only
> once in Unicode, two are not in unicode and there are two mapping
> problems.
> In practive one can thus say: Both GBK and Big5 can be mapped to Unicode.

so, if we can make things utf deep down and remap gbk and big 5 to utf,
we can do with one set of fonts, metrics etc

i got chinese working in utf now, but need an enco table for teh special
cases (see enco-chi); when someone made me that table, i can upload an
alpha

Hans

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-13 10:31                                   ` Xiao Jianfeng
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-12-13 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Gabriel wrote:

> Hello Hans,
>
> to be honest: I don't speak Chinese and don't know much about it.
> A few days ago, I was told that we'll let translate some of our
> documents (XML) into Chinese and Japanese and I 'll have to typeset them.
> So I started playing with Chinese in ConTeXt. I've reported the
> results which other users (e.g. Tobias) have also noticed.
> In fact, all the sample Simplified Chinese documents I've tested it on
> were easily convertible to CP936 (GBK) and could be typeset. This
> doesn't mean that you shall not extend the Unicode support, I only
> think I will not hardly require it... :-)
>
> But yet another question: What about Japanese? I've made only small
> research so far, but unlike Chinese, there's almost no information
> about Japanese in TeX. How much of work would be to adjust the current
> "chinese" ConTeXt module for Japanese? What would you need for it?
> [Of course, meanwhile I'll investigate some other ways of typesetting
> Japanese...]
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

 As far as I know, LaTeX coupled with CJK package can process Chinese,
Japanese, Korea.

 Regards,

xiaojf

>     *Sent:* Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:53:51 +0100
>     *Subject:* Re: [NTG-context] Chinese
>
>     Richard Gabriel wrote:
>
>     > Hi guys,
>     >
>     > I can confirm that the UTF-8 input doesn't work for me too.
>     > If I convert the file info GBK (CP936), it works fine [I suggest to
>     > use the 'iconv' utility for the conversion :-)].
>     >
>     > I tested the UTF-8 output the followin ways:
>     >
>     > 1)
>     > \enableregime[utf]
>     > \usemodule[chinese]
>     >

>     chinese is not yet defined in utf so if you want that, we need to
>     do it
>
>     now, since the chinese remapping stuff is rather complex, the best
>     method is to consider a dedicated mechanism
>
>     question: do the unicode tables cover gbk and big 5 well?
>
>     assuming this, how about making a set of tfm,enc,map files that match
>     the unicode positions (volunteers ...)
>
>     we can extend the utf handler with a kind of plugin mechanism:
>
>     \unprotect
>
>     \def\utfunihashglyph#1%
>     {\@EA\doutfunihashglyph\@EA{\number\utfdiv{#1}}{#1}} % only div once
>
>     \def\doutfunihashglyph#1#2% div raw
>     {\csname
>     \ifnum#2<\utf@i <mailto:utf@i>
>     \strippedcsname\unicodeasciicharacter
>     \else\ifcsname\@@unicommand#1\endcsname
>     \@@unicommand#1%
>     \else\ifcsname\@@univector#1\endcsname
>     \@@univector#1%
>     \else
>     \strippedcsname\unicodeunknowncharacter
>     \fi\fi\fi
>     \@EA\endcsname\@EA{\number\utfmod{#2}}} % only mod once
>
>     \def\unicodeunknowncharacter#1%
>     {\unknownchar}
>
>     \let\utfunihash\utfunihashglyph
>
>     \def\@@unicommand{@@unicommand}
>
>     \def\defineutfcommand #1 #2%
>     {\setvalue{\@@unicommand#1}##1{#2{#1}{##1}}}
>
>     so we can define pluig in handlers for e.g. chinese
>
>     \defineutfcommand 81 {\uchar}
>
>     (bombs due to missing fonts, so for testing)
>
>     \def\NotYet#1#2{[#1 #2]}
>
>     \defineutfcommand 81 {\NotYet}
>
>     (next comes adapting the chinese files; i can imagine that we redo
>     the
>     big5 and gbk definitions so that they remap to ut8 as common encoding)
>
>     so .. the question is ... who is going to make the tfm/enc/map files
>
>     Hans

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-13  9:55                                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-13  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Gabriel wrote:

> Hello Hans,
>
> to be honest: I don't speak Chinese and don't know much about it.
> A few days ago, I was told that we'll let translate some of our
> documents (XML) into Chinese and Japanese and I 'll have to typeset them.
> So I started playing with Chinese in ConTeXt. I've reported the
> results which other users (e.g. Tobias) have also noticed.
> In fact, all the sample Simplified Chinese documents I've tested it on
> were easily convertible to CP936 (GBK) and could be typeset. This
> doesn't mean that you shall not extend the Unicode support, I only
> think I will not hardly require it... :-)
>
> But yet another question: What about Japanese? I've made only small
> research so far, but unlike Chinese, there's almost no information
> about Japanese in TeX. How much of work would be to adjust the current
> "chinese" ConTeXt module for Japanese? What would you need for it?
> [Of course, meanwhile I'll investigate some other ways of typesetting
> Japanese...]

it's all a matter of fonts and specs; handling those languages is not
that complex

the main complication is in the encodings (related to the input) and
utf8 makes sense as common encoding; context (newtexexec) has provisions
for runtime recoding

what do the chinese users think of it ...

Hans

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-13  9:14                                 ` Richard Gabriel

       [not found] <20051212173143.94765127FA@ronja.ntg.nl>
@ 2005-12-13  8:07 ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2005-12-13  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans wrote:

> chinese is not yet defined in utf so if you want that, we need to do it
> assuming this, how about making a set of tfm,enc,map files that match
> the unicode positions (volunteers ...)

I'm very willing to help, especially if there is some drudge work
involved in constructing the files. I don't know enough (yet) about the
logic of it all to help with setting up the system, but if someone can
supply skeleton files and/or a method for constructing the necessary
files, I'm happy to do any leg-work.

Duncan

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-12 21:15                                 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2005-12-12 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Hans Hagen wrote:
> chinese is not yet defined in utf so if you want that, we need to do it
We probably should.

> question: do the unicode tables cover gbk and big 5 well?
There exists a one-to-one correspondence between GBK and Unicode [1],
for Big5 there are 7 characters which cannot be mapped one-to-one (see
comment at top of [2]); thee of which appear twice in Big5 but only once
in Unicode, two are not in unicode and there are two mapping problems.
In practive one can thus say: Both GBK and Big5 can be mapped to Unicode.

> assuming this, how about making a set of tfm,enc,map files that match
> the unicode positions (volunteers ...)
If I get the time, I will play around with the four fonts mentioned on
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Chinese
Adam mentioned
http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~tburnus/linlibertine/LibertineUnicode.zip,
which contains LibertineInConTeXt.txt, which describes a possible way to
do so.
But I wouldn't mind if someone who has more experience in playing around
with .enc files would do the job ;)

Tobias

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-12 15:53                               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-12 12:29                               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-12 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Adam Lindsay wrote:
>
>> Is there less kerning among CJK fonts? I would expect so.
>
> Classically any Chinese character has exactly the same width, which is
> the same as the height (square). Nowadays some are taller than wide.
> I'm quite certain that there is hardly any Chinese font with kerning
> as this would break the grid.
>
>> Thinking aloud, you'd probably want to include some
>> language-switching commands, to mediate between the calling of
>> unicode fonts for un-named CJK glyphs (just raw conversion from
>> Unicode to font switch + glyph number) to named roman (and other
>> alphabetic) glyphs (conversion from UTF-8 to named glyphs to
>> font+glyph, which retains kerning where it can).
>
> Well, I think one uses most of the time different fonts for Chinese
> and non-CJK texts as many Chinese fonts don't include that many roman
> letters (at least the ones quoted at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Chinese miss the ß and ä).

if there is a utf-8 mapping for chinese, then th eother chars can come
from the main text font

Hans

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-09 15:30                             ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2005-12-09 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

@ 2005-12-09 15:24                             ` Richard Gabriel
From: Richard Gabriel @ 2005-12-09 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys,

I can confirm that the UTF-8 input doesn't work for me too.
If I convert the file info GBK (CP936), it works fine [I suggest to use the 'iconv' utility for the conversion :-)].

I tested the UTF-8 output the followin ways:

1)
\enableregime[utf]
\usemodule[chinese]

Processing a file with this setup ends with an error:

From: Tobias Burnus @ 2005-12-09 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Xiao Jianfeng wrote:
> What is the value of your environment variables about LC_CTYPE and LANG ?
Well, I use SCIM to input the characters and my locale is de_DE.UTF-8.
As the input works everywhere (OpenOffice, vim in Xterm, gvim etc.) I'm
positiv that the problem is the lacking support of UTF-8 encoding of
Chinese in ConTeXt and that this is not a problem of the encoding being
wrong.

Looking at the cp936 to Unicode table
(http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP936.TXT)
one sees that they are not the same.

A rough big5 to Unicode table can be found at
http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/OBSOLETE/EASTASIA/OTHER/BIG5.TXT

Tobias

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-09 14:43                           ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-12-09 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Xiao Jianfeng wrote:
>
>>> What would be needed to get UTF-8 input running with Chinese?
>>
>> If you use vim to edit your tex file, maybe you can try "set
>> encoding=utf8", then save and compile.
>> As far as I know, GBK is compatible with unicode.
>
> No, that does not work - that is the reason I started this mail thread.
> You get the wrong characters and you may get some TeX errors.
> (And that is the reason Lutz wrote a UTF-8 to GBK converted.)

Hmm, I suspect that some remix between my old (deprecated) Libertine in
ConTeXt recipe and the ttf2tfm automatic unicode splitting would have
some positive effects.

(I would discourage using that recipe for alphabetic (incl Roman)
Unicode fonts because it blows away any kerning that would happen
between unicode blocks. Is there less kerning among CJK fonts? I would
expect so.)

Thinking aloud, you'd probably want to include some language-switching
commands, to mediate between the calling of unicode fonts for un-named
CJK glyphs (just raw conversion from Unicode to font switch + glyph
number) to named roman (and other alphabetic) glyphs (conversion from
UTF-8 to named glyphs to font+glyph, which retains kerning where it can).

I know it's sketchy and vague, but have a look inside font-uni. It's not
the most complicated file in the distro.

adam
  Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
  Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
  Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-09 14:24                           ` Xiao Jianfeng
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-12-09 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-09 14:19                           ` Xiao Jianfeng
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-12-09 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Xiao Jianfeng wrote:
>
>>> What would be needed to get UTF-8 input running with Chinese?
>>
>> If you use vim to edit your tex file, maybe you can try "set
>> encoding=utf8", then save and compile.
>> As far as I know, GBK is compatible with unicode.
>
> No, that does not work - that is the reason I started this mail thread.
> You get the wrong characters and you may get some TeX errors.
> (And that is the reason Lutz wrote a UTF-8 to GBK converted.)
>
> Tobias

So, maybe the problem has something to do with you input method.
How do you input Chinese in your system ?

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-09 14:03                         ` Tobias Burnus
                                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2005-12-09 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

@ 2005-12-09 13:46                       ` Xiao Jianfeng
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-12-09 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Xiao Jianfeng wrote:
>
>> Maybe it is beacuse of the encoding of your .tex  file.
>> The encoding of my tex source file is cp936 and I edit with gvim.
>> ConTeXt compiles OK when processing Chinese. I din't use
>> \enableregime[utf] or \language[cn] to typeset Chinese.
>
> Ok this works. Another possibility is to use the script by Lutz (see
> link in the wiki) which converts UTF8 to gbk.
> However, both solutions have the drawback that e.g. "ä" does not get
> typset (there is no ä in gbk).
>
> What would be needed to get UTF-8 input running with Chinese?
>
> Tobias

If you use vim to edit your tex file, maybe you can try "set
encoding=utf8", then save and compile.
As far as I know, GBK is compatible with unicode.

I'm not sure if it works or not. I don't konw too much about encoding.

Regards,
xiaojf

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-09 10:53                     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2005-12-09 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

@ 2005-12-09  2:19                   ` Xiao Jianfeng
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-12-09  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-08 22:11                   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-12-08 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> PS: ConTeXt live at ConTeXtgarden does not like chinese at all; the
> transcript shows:
> ! Misplaced alignment tab character &.
> l.6 &
>      #36825;&#37324;&#20160;&#20040;&#39278;&#26009;&#20063;&#27809;&#26377;...

try again next week. I have this on my to do list.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Chinese
@ 2005-12-08 20:26                 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2005-12-08 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Seemingly the UTF-8 encoding makes some trouble - I get either errors
> or the wrong characters.
Ok, I played around a bit more:
\usemodule[chinese]
\enableregime[utf]
Hä? 中文?

Prints as "Hä? ***" (* denotes black boxes).

Whereas
\enableregime[utf] % or without this line
\usemodule[chinese]
prints "H盲? ***" (* denotes three other characters which are not 中文?)

In addition I get:
! Paragraph ended before \handleunicodeflowglyph was complete.

Using \startitemize[c] or \placefigure{} with \mainlanguage[cn] shows
the proper characters.

Any ideas? Looking at
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mchinese.pdf one seems to be
able to simply mix European and Chinese letters; ok using {\language[de]
Hä}{\language[cn]中文} I can combine them (if I wouldn't get an error at
'}'.

Tobias

PS: ConTeXt live at ConTeXtgarden does not like chinese at all; the
transcript shows:
! Misplaced alignment tab character &.
l.6 &
     #36825;&#37324;&#20160;&#20040;&#39278;&#26009;&#20063;&#27809;&#26377;...

* Re: chinese
@ 2002-05-26 19:28           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-26 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: conTeXt list

At 01:42 PM 5/26/2002 -0500, Mr. Lei Wang wrote:
> > how did you produce the pdf file (using mptopdf or texexec --fig=c --pdf
> > file.1 ?)
>
>The pdf file produced by above two methods is inserted correctly.
>
>My testing pdf file is converted by epstopdf. Yesterday I try the newest
>version, but the output pdf file can not insert correctly, either.

ok, then forget about epstopdf for metapost, the tex methods
(texexec/mptopdf) are better for mp anyway and also provide you features
like transparency (see latest metafun manual)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: chinese
@ 2002-05-26 18:42         ` Mr. Lei Wang
From: Mr. Lei Wang @ 2002-05-26 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: conTeXt list

> how did you produce the pdf file (using mptopdf or texexec --fig=c --pdf
> file.1 ?)

The pdf file produced by above two methods is inserted correctly.

My testing pdf file is converted by epstopdf. Yesterday I try the newest
version, but the output pdf file can not insert correctly, either.

Other test show that the MP files used as overlay also work although
it seems not correctly when use the presentation modules. I try to
test more functions.

Wang

* Re: chinese
       [not found]     ` <001801c20415$4fe46e30$04c7fea9@wanglei>
@ 2002-05-25 20:25       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-25 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:55 PM 5/25/2002 -0500, Mr. Lei Wang wrote:
> > \setupoutput[dvipdfm]
>
>It works for most plain documents.
>
> > should work; as far as i know most features work but i'm not sure about mp
> > inclusion (one could always make independent pdf's first); if features are
> > missing but possible we can add them of course
>
>When I test place figure in documents, the MP inclusion seems work.
>I use:
>   \startuseMPgraphic{test}
>   ... some mp code here
>   \stopuseMPgraphic
>
>\starttext
>
>    \placefigure[here][fig1]{Test MP}{\useMPgraphic{test}}
>
>    \placefigure[here][fig2]{Test PDF}{\externalfigure[test2.pdf]}
>
>\stoptext
>
>here the test2.pdf is a pdf figure convert from the same mp code.
>the first figure is OK. but the second can not placed because tex
>could not determine its dimension correctly. I try to use
>" ebb test2.pdf " get the boundingbox information of test2.pdf
>and stored it in test2.bb. this usually works in latex. But texexec
>seems not read the test2.bb file to get the dimension.

how did you produce the pdf file (using mptopdf or texexec --fig=c --pdf
file.1 ?)

(actually, there is a module that also treats the bb file, but this is
related to a new fig labeling mechanism, but this is not yet in the
distribution)

@ 2002-05-19 22:29 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <5.1.0.14.1.20020521085937.0405c110@server-1>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-19 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 02:42 AM 5/18/2002 +0200, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:

>yesterday i found the mchinese manual on the server. Previously
>i though that the up-to-date-7 is the only documentation about
>chinese in ConTeXT.
>
>The current version has some unfinished sections. Is there any plan
>that this will change soon (in some weeks)?
>Especially i would like to know what program is a good choice on Linux
>and Windows to edit chinese TeX files. Emacs-MuLE?
>What encoding should i use to save TeX files, UTF-8?
>Any other important hints?

Last week

   "Lei Wang" <wanglei@sbcglobal.net>

announced to pick up the chinese thread; he can best advice on editing
(there are some tools for windows), encoding etc.

[the missing will certainly be filled in, but i depend on Lei Wangs
expertise]

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* chinese
@ 2002-05-18  0:42 Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-05-18  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hullo,

yesterday i found the mchinese manual on the server. Previously
i though that the up-to-date-7 is the only documentation about
chinese in ConTeXT.

The current version has some unfinished sections. Is there any plan
that this will change soon (in some weeks)?
Especially i would like to know what program is a good choice on Linux
and Windows to edit chinese TeX files. Emacs-MuLE?
What encoding should i use to save TeX files, UTF-8?
Any other important hints?

Many thanks. Best,
  Jens