* Need to compile individual components with proper numbering, etc.
@ 2005-12-18  2:01 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-12-18  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

With the structure (posted below for completeness), I will need to
compile the individual components (small chunks to post online for
students with modems). I know this is possible, with say texexec
section1. However, if that is section1.tex of chapter8.tex, then I
will need the run to produce all of the correct numbering of
examples, equations, definitions, etc. I am hoping this is possible
with this structure. Comments?

All,

I have files:

~/IntermediateAlgebraText/book.tex
~/IntermediateAlgebraText/bookenv.tex
~/IntermediateAlgebraText/chapter1/chapter1.tex
~/IntermediateAlgebraText/chapter8/chapter8.tex

I also have:

~/IntermediateAlgebraText/chapter1/section1.tex
~/IntermediateAlgebraText/chapter1/section2.tex
~/IntermediateAlgebraText/chapter1/section3.tex

And similar files for each of the eight chapters. Here is my project
file: ~/IntermediateAlgebraText/book.tex

%output=pdftex

\startproject book

\environment bookenv

\product chapter1/chapter1

\product chapter2/chapter2

\product chapter3/chapter3

\product chapter4/chapter4

\product chapter5/chapter5

\product chapter6/chapter6

\product chapter7/chapter7

\product chapter8/chapter8

\stopproject

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: conTeXt-en
%%% End:

Here, for example, is my ~/IntermediateAlgebraText/chapter1/chapter1.tex

\startproduct chapter1

\project book

\startbodymatter

\chapter[chap:1]{Functions}

\input zapf

\component section1

\component section2

\component section3

\stopbodymatter

\stopproduct

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: conTeXt-en
%%% End:

As an example of a section, consider ~/IntermediateAlgebraText/
chapter1/section1.tex

%output=pdf

\startcomponent section1

\project book
\product chapter1

\section[sec:1]{The Function Concept}

\input knuth

\stopcomponent

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: conTeXt-en
%%% End:

This look OK to folks? Will I get in trouble with this plan?

* Re: Need to compile individual components with proper numbering, etc.
@ 2005-12-18 10:49 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-18 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> All,
>
> With the structure (posted below for completeness), I will need to
> compile the individual components (small chunks to post online for
> students with modems). I know this is possible, with say texexec
> section1. However, if that is section1.tex of chapter8.tex, then I  will
> need the run to produce all of the correct numbering of  examples,
> equations, definitions, etc. I am hoping this is possible  with this
> structure. Comments?

I believe this is not possible, but I want this as well, and so
do a few other people (that I know of). If it *can* be done,
it should be documented. If not, it sohuld be put on someone's
todo list (possibly mine). I've created a collector item.

Taco

* Re: Need to compile individual components with proper numbering, etc.
@ 2005-12-18 17:33   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-12-18 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco, David,

You can indeed compile a component which will inherit the settings of
the project. Unfortunately one runs into troubles with references
pointing to not included files and of course the numberings will be
started at one. - Indeed I would welcome a procedure to be able to
compile a part of a project keeping the original referencing and
numbering of the complete project. - Sigh I know that I am asking a lot.

Kind regards Willi