* cont-fr interface ?
@ 2005-12-18 17:15 Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2005-12-18 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I know that ConTeXt supports some interfaces like de, ro, cz, nl, etc.
but it seems that nobody has developed a french interface. Am I right ?
Since I'm just a user, it's difficult to me to apprehend how much work
is needed to write such interface. I'm ready to do this work but I
surely need some advice in order to begin.

Cheers,

Renaud

* Re: cont-fr interface ?
@ 2005-12-18 17:45 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-12-18 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Renaud,

ASFAIK the interface is defined in a file called mult-com.tex. Adding a
new interface would mean to place translations of the defined items into
this file.

Willi

Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know that ConTeXt supports some interfaces like de, ro, cz, nl, etc.
> but it seems that nobody has developed a french interface. Am I right
> ? Since I'm just a user, it's difficult to me to apprehend how much
> work is needed to write such interface. I'm ready to do this work but
> I surely need some advice in order to begin.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Renaud

* Re: cont-fr interface ?
@ 2005-12-18 17:51   ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2005-12-18 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Willi,

What about tex/context/interface/cont-{en,nl,de}.xml ?

Willi Egger a écrit :

> Hi Renaud,
>
> ASFAIK the interface is defined in a file called mult-com.tex. Adding
> a new interface would mean to place translations of the defined items
> into this file.
>
> Willi

* Re: cont-fr interface ?
@ 2005-12-18 17:58     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-12-18 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Renaud,

Humble, formerly it was the mentioned file. But I remember that Hans is
generating a lot of the stuff from xml. So you are right.

Willi

Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Thank you Willi,
>
> What about tex/context/interface/cont-{en,nl,de}.xml ?
>

> Willi Egger a écrit :
>
>> Hi Renaud,
>>
>> ASFAIK the interface is defined in a file called mult-com.tex. Adding
>> a new interface would mean to place translations of the defined items
>> into this file.
>>
>> Willi

* Re: cont-fr interface ?
@ 2005-12-18 18:08   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-18 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger wrote:
> Hi Renaud,
>
> ASFAIK the interface is defined in a file called mult-com.tex. Adding a
> new interface would mean to place translations of the defined items into
> this file.

There are two big jobs to be done, one of which is optional:

  1) add translations to mult-com.tex and mult-con.tex, like so:

   \startcommands       dutch                            english
                        german                           czech
                        italian                          romanian
                        french

              language: taal                             language
                        sprache                          jazyk
                        lingua                           limba
                        langue

   \stopcommands

   Note: your translations have to be 7-bit clean. This is required
   because otherwise mayhem results when e.g. the french interface is
   used to typeset  documents in italian or czech.

   Each time, you add 'french' to the language list at the top, then
   add a new translation for each keyword.
   You *cannot* skip a translation within a command list (the number
   of translated items has to match up), but you *can* skip an entire
   command block (\startcommands ... \stopcommands).

   2) (optionally) translate the message libraries to french. Search
   for \startmessages in the source files. There are a lot of them,
   but you do not have to translate all (they will default to english).

About the only other thing is to create a cont-fr.tex that begins
with \def\defaultinterface{french}, and switches to french.

Taco

* Re: cont-fr interface ?
@ 2005-12-18 18:11       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-18 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger wrote:

> Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>

>> Thank you Willi,
>>
>> What about tex/context/interface/cont-{en,nl,de}.xml ?

These are generated from mult-com.tex and mult-con.tex

Taco

* Re: cont-fr interface ?
@ 2005-12-18 20:01     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-18 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Thank you Willi,
>
> What about tex/context/interface/cont-{en,nl,de}.xml ?

there are two files you need to edit (extend):

mult-con.tex
mult-com.tex

in addition you need to provide message translations (these are spread
over other files); in principle these are independent which means that
you can have e.g. a german interface with french messages

A french interface also results in a cont-fr.tex file. The interface
definition files (con-fr.xml) will b egenerated automatically, so once
you have the translations done, you will get that one for free.

The best way to proceed is to get the latest version of context (best
ask me to send you my local copy) and translate them 'quick and dirty'
so that there is little interference with updates (i need to patch
mult-ini at the same time).

After that, improving it can be done stepwise.

Let me know if you're serious about this; we can arrange things off-list

Hans

* Re: cont-fr interface ?
@ 2005-12-18 20:11     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-18 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>   Each time, you add 'french' to the language list at the top, then
>   add a new translation for each keyword.
>   You *cannot* skip a translation within a command list (the number
>   of translated items has to match up), but you *can* skip an entire
>   command block (\startcommands ... \stopcommands).

ah, i'd forgotten that -)

this indeed permits a stepwise translation

[your mail/explanation can be a starting point for the interface
api-page on the wiki]

Hans

* Re: cont-fr interface ?
@ 2005-12-18 20:54       ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2005-12-18 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen a écrit :

> Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>

>> Thank you Willi,
>>
>> What about tex/context/interface/cont-{en,nl,de}.xml ?
>>
> there are two files you need to edit (extend):
>
> mult-con.tex
> mult-com.tex
>
> in addition you need to provide message translations (these are spread
> over other files); in principle these are independent which means that
> you can have e.g. a german interface with french messages
>
> A french interface also results in a cont-fr.tex file. The interface
> definition files (con-fr.xml) will b egenerated automatically, so once
> you have the translations done, you will get that one for free.
>
> The best way to proceed is to get the latest version of context (best
> ask me to send you my local copy) and translate them 'quick and dirty'
> so that there is little interference with updates (i need to patch
> mult-ini at the same time).

Can you send me your local copy ?   ;-)

> After that, improving it can be done stepwise.
>
> Let me know if you're serious about this; we can arrange things off-list

I'm serious about this but I can't give strong deadline.

Renaud

> Hans

* Re: cont-fr interface ?
@ 2005-12-18 21:02         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-18 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Hans Hagen a écrit :
>
>> Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>>

>>> Thank you Willi,
>>>
>>> What about tex/context/interface/cont-{en,nl,de}.xml ?
>>>
>> there are two files you need to edit (extend):
>>
>> mult-con.tex
>> mult-com.tex
>>
>> in addition you need to provide message translations (these are
>> spread over other files); in principle these are independent which
>> means that you can have e.g. a german interface with french messages
>>
>> A french interface also results in a cont-fr.tex file. The interface
>> definition files (con-fr.xml) will b egenerated automatically, so
>> once you have the translations done, you will get that one for free.
>>
>> The best way to proceed is to get the latest version of context (best
>> ask me to send you my local copy) and translate them 'quick and
>> dirty' so that there is little interference with updates (i need to
>> patch mult-ini at the same time).
>>
> Can you send me your local copy ?   ;-)
>
>> After that, improving it can be done stepwise.
>>
>> Let me know if you're serious about this; we can arrange things off-list
>>
> I'm serious about this but I can't give strong deadline.

ok, coming week i'll add french dummy entries so that you have something
to work with (remind me if i forget)

Hans