* Metafun example doesn't work
@ 2005-12-18  6:21 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-12-18  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I've always wondered why this Metafun manual example doesn't work.

\startMPgraphic
   draw unitsquare
     xscaled 5cm yscaled 1cm
     withpen pencircle scaled 2mm
     withcolor .625 red;
\stopMPgraphic

\hbox\bgroup
\loadcurrentMPgraphic{width=5cm,height=1cm}\placeMPgraphic\quad
\loadcurrentMPgraphic{width=8cm,height=1cm}\placeMPgraphic\egroup

* Re: Metafun example doesn't work
@ 2005-12-18  9:01 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-18  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

To me it looks like it does work, but perhaps I am not looking
at it correctly. Here is what I compiled:

   \setupcolors[state=start]
   \setupoutput[pdftex]
   \starttext
   \startMPgraphic
   draw unitsquare
     xscaled 5cm yscaled 1cm
     withpen pencircle scaled 2mm
     withcolor .625 red;
   \stopMPgraphic
   \hbox\bgroup
   \loadcurrentMPgraphic{width=5cm,height=1cm}\placeMPgraphic\quad
   \loadcurrentMPgraphic{width=8cm,height=1cm}\placeMPgraphic\egroup
   \stoptext

And I get a red outline around two rectangles next to eachother.
Does it crash for you?

Taco

@ 2005-12-18  9:04   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-12-18  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

It compiles, but the figures should not be identical according to the
Metafun manual, page 201.

@ 2005-12-18 11:18     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-18 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> It compiles, but the figures should not be identical according to the
> Metafun manual, page 201.

Ah, I see now.  The second argument is dropped, because it was
assumed that it was never actually used. See the two disjunct
definitions of \insertMPfile in supp-mps.tex (the version documented
in the metafun manual) versus the one in in meta-ini.tex (the
version that is actually used).

Taco

* Re: Metafun example doesn't work
@ 2005-12-18 20:43       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-18 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> David Arnold wrote:
>
>> It compiles, but the figures should not be identical according to
>> the  Metafun manual, page 201.
>

> Ah, I see now.  The second argument is dropped, because it was
> assumed that it was never actually used. See the two disjunct
> definitions of \insertMPfile in supp-mps.tex (the version documented
> in the metafun manual) versus the one in in meta-ini.tex (the
> version that is actually used).

indeed, a substantial speed optimization -)

so ... i need to change the metafun example to use scaling instead

Hans

* Re: Metafun example doesn't work
@ 2005-12-18 20:44   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-18 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> To me it looks like it does work, but perhaps I am not looking
> at it correctly. Here is what I compiled:
>
>   \setupcolors[state=start]
>   \setupoutput[pdftex]
>   \starttext
>   \startMPgraphic
>   draw unitsquare
>     xscaled 5cm yscaled 1cm
>     withpen pencircle scaled 2mm
>     withcolor .625 red;
>   \stopMPgraphic
>   \hbox\bgroup
>   \loadcurrentMPgraphic{width=5cm,height=1cm}\placeMPgraphic\quad
>   \loadcurrentMPgraphic{width=8cm,height=1cm}\placeMPgraphic\egroup
>   \stoptext
>
> And I get a red outline around two rectangles next to eachother.

 i will change that example (or maybe some other low level code -)

Hans