* About paragraph columns in table environment
@ 2005-12-20 11:24 Radhelorn
From: Radhelorn @ 2005-12-20 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all!

I've tried to fit wide table (with paragraphs and vertical lines) into
page width. Following example don't work as expected:

\SetTableToWidth{\textwidth}
\starttable[|p|p|]
\HL
\VL foo foo foo foo foo foo \VL bar bar bar bar bar bar \VL\AR
\HL
\stoptable

Text in columns formatted as if table was not widened. What did I miss here?

BTW, how to fit text into a small box if I don't care about where word
breaks?

Thanks.

--
Radhelorn <radhelorn@mail.ru>

* Re: About paragraph columns in table environment
@ 2005-12-21 14:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-21 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Radhelorn wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I've tried to fit wide table (with paragraphs and vertical lines) into
> page width. Following example don't work as expected:
>
> \SetTableToWidth{\textwidth}
> \starttable[|p|p|]
> \HL
> \VL foo foo foo foo foo foo \VL bar bar bar bar bar bar \VL\AR
> \HL
> \stoptable
>
> Text in columns formatted as if table was not widened. What did I miss
> here?

table is not that clever -)

\SetTableToWidth{\textwidth}

\starttable[|p(.45\textwidth)|p(.45\textwidth)|]
\HL
\VL foo foo foo foo foo foo \VL bar bar bar bar bar bar \VL\AR
\HL
\stoptable

\stoptext

> BTW, how to fit text into a small box if I don't care about where word
> breaks?

can you explain that a bit more?

Hans

* Re: About paragraph columns in table environment
@ 2005-12-21 17:37   ` Radhelorn
From: Radhelorn @ 2005-12-21 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Radhelorn wrote:
>
> \SetTableToWidth{\textwidth}
>
> \starttable[|p(.45\textwidth)|p(.45\textwidth)|]
> \HL
> \VL foo foo foo foo foo foo \VL bar bar bar bar bar bar \VL\AR
> \HL
> \stoptable

Thanks. Now it works like expected.

>> BTW, how to fit text into a small box if I don't care about where word
>> breaks?
>>
> can you explain that a bit more?

Something like this:
________________
| There are so |
| me rather lo |
| ng titles th |
| a needs to b |
| e typeset.   |
----------------

Originally I wanted this in table headers and such things.

--

@ 2005-12-21 17:52     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-21 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Radhelorn wrote:

> Something like this:
> ________________
> | There are so |
> | me rather lo |
> | ng titles th |
> | a needs to b |
> | e typeset.   |
> ----------------

only for stupid text:

\def\HowStrange#1{#1\ifx#1\blankspace\else\allowbreak\fi}

\framed
  [width=2cm,align={normal,verytolerant,stretch}]
  {\handletokens There are some rather long titles that needs to be
typeset.\with\HowStrange}

you're not serious about this are you?

anyhow, a wikiable example

Hans

* Re: About paragraph columns in table environment
@ 2005-12-21 18:01       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Radhelorn wrote:
>

>> Something like this:
>> ________________
>> | There are so |
>> | me rather lo |
>> | ng titles th |
>> | a needs to b |
>> | e typeset.   |
>> ----------------
>

> only for stupid text:
>
> \def\HowStrange#1{#1\ifx#1\blankspace\else\allowbreak\fi}
>
> \framed
>  [width=2cm,align={normal,verytolerant,stretch}]
>  {\handletokens There are some rather long titles that needs to be
> typeset.\with\HowStrange}
>
> you're not serious about this are you?

I'm curious as well. What is this for?

> anyhow, a wikiable example

A similar problem&solution, for verbatim text, is already in the wiki:

   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Verbatim_with_line_breaks

Cheers,

Taco

* Re: About paragraph columns in table environment
@ 2005-12-22  9:27         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-22  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Radhelorn wrote:
>>

>>> Something like this:
>>> ________________
>>> | There are so |
>>> | me rather lo |
>>> | ng titles th |
>>> | a needs to b |
>>> | e typeset.   |
>>> ----------------
>>

>> only for stupid text:
>>
>> \def\HowStrange#1{#1\ifx#1\blankspace\else\allowbreak\fi}
>>
>> \framed
>>  [width=2cm,align={normal,verytolerant,stretch}]
>>  {\handletokens There are some rather long titles that needs to be
>> typeset.\with\HowStrange}
>>
>> you're not serious about this are you?
>

> I'm curious as well. What is this for?

actually, this years pragma new-year card uses something like this but a
bit more advanced (you've seen it -)

Hans

* Re: About paragraph columns in table environment
@ 2005-12-22 21:13         ` Radhelorn
From: Radhelorn @ 2005-12-22 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Radhelorn wrote:
>>

>>> ________________
>>> | There are so |
>>> | me rather lo |
>>> | ng titles th |
>>> | a needs to b |
>>> | e typeset.   |
>>> ----------------
>>

>> you're not serious about this are you?
>

> I'm curious as well. What is this for?

It can be used in small cards or something like that.

I've tried to fit wide table in a narrow paper. I was making electronic
version of printed document and can assure you that original design was
even more strange (to my tastes of course).

>> anyhow, a wikiable example

I'll look into it a little later.

> A similar problem&solution, for verbatim text, is already in the wiki:
>
>   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Verbatim_with_line_breaks

Well maybe I should give this a try too ;-).

--
Radhelorn <radhelorn@mail.ru>