* Some things I don't understand about typescripts...
@ 2005-12-22 12:08 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-12-22 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christmas is approaching, and I hate to be a pest this time of the
year, but there's this problem that really bothers me: I'm still
working hard to release version 2 of my Greek module on the
unsuspecting masses. It will define all fonts in a typescript instead
of as single fonts to allow switches like {\em } etc. It appears that
the typescript mechanism creates some problems. The most serious one
for me is that it seems to demand a full list of sizes that can be
used in this form:

\definebodyfont
[30pt,25pt,20pt,18pt,17.3pt,14.4pt,14pt,12pt,11pt,11.5pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,
7pt,6pt,5pt,4pt]
[rm]
[default]

If I specify a bodyfont with a size that's not in this list
\setupbodyfont[somebodyfont,19.7pt]
I get no errors, but no output either :-( If I add 19.7pt to the
list, everything works again. Is there an explanation for this behavior?

It also looks like I should define a math font for these Greek fonts.
It looks like ConTeXt will try to get certain symbols from math if
they're not defined in the bodyfont. Is there a syntax for creating a
default math font for an entire set of typescripts? I tried this

\starttypescript
\definetypeface [all] [mm] [math]  [times]        [default]
[encoding=default]
\starttypescript

but it doesn't seem to work, if a symbol like \textdoublebracketleft
is used, compilation will fail with this error:

! Math formula deleted: Insufficient symbol fonts.
\mathematics #1->\relax \ifmmode #1\else $#1$
                                              \fi
\doutfunihashglyph ...#1\endcsname {#2}\endcsname
                                                   \else
\strippedcsname \uni...

Any suggestions would be welcome; apart from these problems, I'm
basically done with the work.

All best

Thomas

* Re: Some things I don't understand about typescripts...
@ 2005-12-22 13:52 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-22 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Christmas is approaching, and I hate to be a pest this time of the
> year, but there's this problem that really bothers me: I'm still
> working hard to release version 2 of my Greek module on the
> unsuspecting masses. It will define all fonts in a typescript instead
> of as single fonts to allow switches like {\em } etc. It appears that
> the typescript mechanism creates some problems. The most serious one
> for me is that it seems to demand a full list of sizes that can be  used
> in this form:
>
> \definebodyfont
> [30pt,25pt,20pt,18pt,17.3pt,14.4pt,14pt,12pt,11pt,11.5pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,
> 7pt,6pt,5pt,4pt]
> [rm]
> [default]

This

   \definebodyfont [default] [rm] [tf=, ] % ...

should work, afaik

> If I specify a bodyfont with a size that's not in this list
> \setupbodyfont[somebodyfont,19.7pt]
> I get no errors, but no output either :-( If I add 19.7pt to the  list,
> everything works again. Is there an explanation for this behavior?

Before that call, you may need to do

   \definebodyfontenvironment [19.7pt]

as well (not sure)

> It also looks like I should define a math font for these Greek fonts.
> It looks like ConTeXt will try to get certain symbols from math if
> they're not defined in the bodyfont. Is there a syntax for creating a
> default math font for an entire set of typescripts? I tried this
>
> \starttypescript
> \definetypeface [all] [mm] [math]  [times]        [default]
> [encoding=default]

Replacing [all] with [tsgreek] (or whatever you typescript is named)
should work.

Hope this helps,

Taco

* Re: Some things I don't understand about typescripts...
@ 2005-12-22 14:43   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-12-22 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco,

thanks again for your help!!

On Dec 22, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> This
>
>   \definebodyfont [default] [rm] [tf=, ] % ...
>
> should work, afaik
Not here, I get errors:
! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                    \futurelet
\doprocesscommaitem ->\futurelet
                                  \nexttoken \dodoprocesscommaitem
<argument> rm]\doprocesscommaitem
                                   ]\relax \global \advance
\commalevel \minu...

\ifundefined #1->\unless \ifcsname #1
                                      \endcsname
\dododododefinebodyfont ...\ifundefined {#1#3#4#5}
                                                   \checkbodyfont {#1}
{#3#4}{...
l.71 ...c!x=4pt,\c!xx=4pt,\c!big=6pt,\c!small=4pt]

?

> Before that call, you may need to do
>
>   \definebodyfontenvironment [19.7pt]
>
> as well (not sure)

Sigh... It works, but it destroys the scaling mechanism built into
the module...

> Replacing [all] with [tsgreek] (or whatever you typescript is named)
> should work.

That was my question: the typescriptfile contains about 25 typefaces.
Is there a way to specify one math font for all of them, or do I have
to go the laborious way of adding such a line to every single one of
them?

Thanks!

@ 2005-12-22 14:50     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-22 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Taco,
>
> thanks again for your help!!
>
> On Dec 22, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>> This
>>
>>   \definebodyfont [default] [rm] [tf=, ] % ...
>>
>> should work, afaik
>
> Not here, I get errors:
> ! Missing \endcsname inserted.
> <to be read again>

(I'll leave this for Hans)

>> Replacing [all] with [tsgreek] (or whatever you typescript is named)
>> should work.
>>
> That was my question: the typescriptfile contains about 25 typefaces.
> Is there a way to specify one math font for all of them, or do I have
> to go the laborious way of adding such a line to every single one of  them?

Assuming you have them inside \starttypescript-s, you could replace

   [all] with [\typecriptone]

globally.

I'll be happy to test what you have now, if needed.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Some things I don't understand about typescripts...
@ 2005-12-22 14:58       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-22 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Assuming you have them inside \starttypescript-s, you could replace
>
>   [all] with [\typecriptone]

Perhaps my sloppy typing lately is a side-effect of all those
spelling reform discussions in the netherlands lately. :-/

Make that: [\typescriptone]

Sorry,

Taco

* Re: Some things I don't understand about typescripts...
@ 2005-12-22 21:08       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-22 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>> Taco,
>>
>> thanks again for your help!!
>>
>> On Dec 22, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>

>>> This
>>>
>>>   \definebodyfont [default] [rm] [tf=, ] % ...
>>>
>>> should work, afaik
>>

>> Not here, I get errors:
>> ! Missing \endcsname inserted.
>> <to be read again>
>

> (I'll leave this for Hans)

tf= (nothing) is a bad idea

Hans

* Re: Some things I don't understand about typescripts...
@ 2005-12-22 22:21         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-22 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> Not here, I get errors:
>>> ! Missing \endcsname inserted.
>>> <to be read again>
>>
>> (I'll leave this for Hans)
>
> tf= (nothing) is a bad idea

Oh (is that what the error came from?) I just wanted to stress the
use of [default] instead of explicit sizes. Sorry, miscommunication
on my part.

Cheers,
Taco