* TeX terminology
@ 2006-01-01 18:09 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-01-01 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Sorry for a questioin that is a bit off-topic.

I'm a bit confused about the TeX terminology. I know what is what, but
I don't know how all these programs/packages/macros are officially
called in English.

How would you explain those in an encyclopedy with no more than one sentence?

* plain TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt are ...
    ? TeX formats ? (but ConTeXt is not just that)
* TeX, eTeX, pdf(e)TeX, Aleph, Omega, XeTeX are ...
    ? TeX engines/extensions, an extended version of TeX ?
* pdflatex is ...
    ?
* texexec is ...
    ?
* texutil, texfont are ...
    ? scripts/utilities for [whateverthetask]
* MikTeX, TeX Live, teTeX are ...
    TeX distributions
* PPCHTeX, XymTeX, MusicTeX are ...
    ConTeXt module(s) / LaTeX package(s)
* PicTeX is
    ? TeX drawing environment
* BibTeX is ...
    ?
* TeXCeH is ...
    TeX user group

Thanks a lot,
    Mojca

* Re: TeX terminology
@ 2006-01-02  9:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-02  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Sorry for a questioin that is a bit off-topic.
>
>I'm a bit confused about the TeX terminology. I know what is what, but
>I don't know how all these programs/packages/macros are officially
>called in English.
>
>How would you explain those in an encyclopedy with no more than one sentence?
>
>* plain TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt are ...
>    ? TeX formats ? (but ConTeXt is not just that)
>* TeX, eTeX, pdf(e)TeX, Aleph, Omega, XeTeX are ...
>    ? TeX engines/extensions, an extended version of TeX ?

also languages (tex is language and interpreter)

>* pdflatex is ...

a shortcut for "run pdftex in pdf mode with latex preloaded"

>    ?
>* texexec is ...
>    ?

a wrapper around tex (providing it a commandline of sorts)

>* texutil, texfont are ...
>    ? scripts/utilities for [whateverthetask]
>* MikTeX, TeX Live, teTeX are ...
>    TeX distributions
>* PPCHTeX, XymTeX, MusicTeX are ...
>    ConTeXt module(s) / LaTeX package(s)
>* PicTeX is
>    ? TeX drawing environment

should be at the same level as ppchtex .....

>* BibTeX is ...
>    ?

program/language for handling bibs, output to be supported by the macro
package

>* TeXCeH is ...
>    TeX user group

Hans

* Re: TeX terminology
@ 2006-01-02  9:51 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-01-02  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for a questioin that is a bit off-topic.
>
> I'm a bit confused about the TeX terminology. I know what is what, but
> I don't know how all these programs/packages/macros are officially
> called in English.
>
> How would you explain those in an encyclopedy with no more than one sentence?
>
> * plain TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt are ...
>     ? TeX formats ? (but ConTeXt is not just that)

I would say plain and latex are 'TeX macro packages'. ConTeXt is
more like a 'typesetting system with TeX and MetaPost at it's core'

> * TeX, eTeX, pdf(e)TeX, Aleph, Omega, XeTeX are ...
>     ? TeX engines/extensions, an extended version of TeX ?

Variants?

* Re: TeX terminology
@ 2006-01-03 20:53   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-01-03 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)