* framed texts
@ 2006-01-06 16:19 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-01-06 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to put to some paragraphs, each as framed text, on one line.
Such as:

\startframedtext[width=...]
	para 1
	\startitemize
	....etc
\stopframedtext
\startframedtext[width=...]
	para 2
	\startitemize
	....etc
\stopframedtext

I tried some things but the two frames will not come out on one line.
How to do this?

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer

* Re: framed texts
@ 2006-01-06 17:20 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-01-06 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> I want to put to some paragraphs, each as framed text, on one line.
> Such as:
>
> \startframedtext[width=...]
>     para 1
>     \startitemize
>     ....etc
> \stopframedtext
> \startframedtext[width=...]
>     para 2
>     \startitemize
>     ....etc
> \stopframedtext
>
> I tried some things but the two frames will not come out on one line.
> How to do this?

\placesidebyside (context manual p.228) should work. A \hbox is another
option, but maybe too unhandy for this.

Greetings, Peter

> yours sincerely,
> dr. H. van der Meer

* Re: framed texts
@ 2006-01-06 20:43   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-01-06 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 6, 2006, at 18:20, Peter Rolf wrote:

>> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>> I want to put to some paragraphs, each as framed text, on one line.
>> Such as:
>>
>> \startframedtext[width=...]
>>     para 1
>>     \startitemize
>>     ....etc
>> \stopframedtext
>> \startframedtext[width=...]
>>     para 2
>>     \startitemize
>>     ....etc
>> \stopframedtext
>>
>> I tried some things but the two frames will not come out on one line.
>> How to do this?
>>
> \placesidebyside (context manual p.228) should work. A \hbox is
> another
> option, but maybe too unhandy for this.
>
> Greetings, Peter

No, that will not work.
After much probing I found the culprit.
The framedtext takes the full linewidth and apparently does not
reduces it to the given size.
Therefore enclosing in a vbox seems necessary:
    \vbox{\hsize=framesize\startframedtext{width=framesize ...

Question for Hans Hagen: is it an option letting framedtext set the
hsize when a specific width is given?

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer

* Re: framed texts
@ 2006-01-07 12:50     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-07 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2006, at 18:20, Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>>> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>> I want to put to some paragraphs, each as framed text, on one line.
>>> Such as:
>>>
>>> \startframedtext[width=...]
>>>     para 1
>>>     \startitemize
>>>     ....etc
>>> \stopframedtext
>>> \startframedtext[width=...]
>>>     para 2
>>>     \startitemize
>>>     ....etc
>>> \stopframedtext
>>>
>>> I tried some things but the two frames will not come out on one line.
>>> How to do this?
>>>
>> \placesidebyside (context manual p.228) should work. A \hbox is  another
>> option, but maybe too unhandy for this.
>>
>> Greetings, Peter
>

> No, that will not work.
> After much probing I found the culprit.
> The framedtext takes the full linewidth and apparently does not
> reduces it to the given size.
> Therefore enclosing in a vbox seems necessary:
>    \vbox{\hsize=framesize\startframedtext{width=framesize ...
>
> Question for Hans Hagen: is it an option letting framedtext set the
> hsize when a specific width is given?

\hbox to \hsize \bgroup
    \startframedtext[none][width=.5\textwidth]
        \input tufte
    \stopframedtext
    \startframedtext[none][width=.5\textwidth]
        \input zapf
    \stopframedtext
\egroup

* Re: framed texts and other "minipage"
@ 2006-01-07 22:52       ` Maurice Diamantini (dom)
From: Maurice Diamantini (dom) @ 2006-01-07 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Diamantini Maurice

Le 7 janv. 06 à 13:50, Hans Hagen a écrit :

>> No, that will not work.
>> After much probing I found the culprit.
>> The framedtext takes the full linewidth and apparently does not
>> reduces it to the given size.
>> Therefore enclosing in a vbox seems necessary:
>>    \vbox{\hsize=framesize\startframedtext{width=framesize ...
>>
>> Question for Hans Hagen: is it an option letting framedtext set
>> the  hsize when a specific width is given?
>
> \hbox to \hsize \bgroup
>    \startframedtext[none][width=.5\textwidth]
>        \input tufte
>    \stopframedtext
>    \startframedtext[none][width=.5\textwidth]
>        \input zapf
>    \stopframedtext
> \egroup

Why is it not possible to simply use the \framed command (with some
magic option to
put text into it) to do the obove thing?
    \startframed[width=.5\textwidth, xxxx]
        \input tufte
    \stopframed
    \startframed[width=.5\textwidth, xxxx]
        \input zapf
    \stopframed

If it is impossible, is there any equivalent to de minipage or
\parbox LaTeX
equivalent?

-- Maurice

* Re: framed texts and other "minipage"
@ 2006-01-09 10:52         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-09 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maurice Diamantini (dom) wrote:

> Le 7 janv. 06 � 13:50, Hans Hagen a �crit :
>
>>> No, that will not work.
>>> After much probing I found the culprit.
>>> The framedtext takes the full linewidth and apparently does not
>>> reduces it to the given size.
>>> Therefore enclosing in a vbox seems necessary:
>>>    \vbox{\hsize=framesize\startframedtext{width=framesize ...
>>>
>>> Question for Hans Hagen: is it an option letting framedtext set
>>> the  hsize when a specific width is given?
>>

>> \hbox to \hsize \bgroup
>>    \startframedtext[none][width=.5\textwidth]
>>        \input tufte
>>    \stopframedtext
>>    \startframedtext[none][width=.5\textwidth]
>>        \input zapf
>>    \stopframedtext
>> \egroup
>

> Why is it not possible to simply use the \framed command (with some
> magic option to
> put text into it) to do the obove thing?
>    \startframed[width=.5\textwidth, xxxx]
>        \input tufte
>    \stopframed
>    \startframed[width=.5\textwidth, xxxx]
>        \input zapf
>    \stopframed

in most cases you can use framed (make sure that you set 'align' to
something in order to enter vmode)

framedtext is a bit more clever and handles some spacing issues

> If it is impossible, is there any equivalent to de minipage or
> \parbox LaTeX
> equivalent?

i dunno what those are, vboxes?

Hans

* Re: framed texts for boxing stuff
@ 2006-01-09 20:54           ` Maurice Diamantini (dom)
From: Maurice Diamantini (dom) @ 2006-01-09 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Diamantini Maurice

Le 9 janv. 06 à 11:52, Hans Hagen a écrit :

>> If it is impossible, is there any equivalent to de minipage or
>> \parbox LaTeX
>> equivalent?
>
> i dunno what those are, vboxes?

Not sure what exactly is "vboxes" (something you can put in hbox? yes
it is) but LaTeX
raisebox, parbox, minipage can be put inside a text line.
minipage can manage its ones footnote, but this is not the question
here.
As the "LaTeX++" concurrent package designer, you should read some
page of the
LaTeX reference documentation "A document Preparation System"
It is little book  (272 pages with the index !) and cover the core of
the
package.

Page 103 to 110 are related to boxes, and is what is missing in context.

I'm not sure that ConTeXt \framed command is able to reproduce
the parbox behavior (position a framed box relatively to its internal
top
or bottom line and the outside baseline)

> in most cases you can use framed (make sure that you set 'align' to
> something in order
> to enter vmode)
>
> framedtext is a bit more clever and handles some spacing issues

With your help, and some old reference doc and the wiki
(http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Vertically_Centered_Boxes)
I tested the following "one line text" which works.

(My version of TeXExec 5.2.4 doesn't seem to support \startframed and
\stopframed so I use \framed instead).

\starttext

   % align:    no left right middle normal high low lohi justified
   % location: low depth hanging
   a word and --%
     \framed[width=.2\textwidth,  align=flushright, location=depth]{
         some stuff
     }%
     --%
     \framed[height=3em,width=11em, align={flushleft,lohi},
location=hanging]{
         other stuff
     }%
     --%
   another word, same line

\stoptext

But more generaly, there is a frequent need about boxing stuff and it
seems that the \framed command is the way to go. But it's not always
easy to guess the various parameters to get an expected behavior.
So what is the current reference documentation about framed
   - Context the manual (page 206) ?
   - ConTeXt an excursion (page 45) ?

Such a command is usefull inside some "hardcoded" slide.
And there could be a "\boxed" or "\cell" macro with default
"frame=off" parameters just to serve as special tabular cell.

I think there has to be two pairs of informations to position a
box (i.e. a "cell" text):
- how is the box is positioned relatively to its environment (the
location=
   keyword I think),
- how to position the stuff **inside** the box (align= keyword)

What is the need for these 2 parameters :

- inside the box : everywhere. that implies two reals numbers
   between 0.0 and 1.0 (perhaps wider?)
   with some keyword for predefined values (flushleft, middle,
flushright
   low, high, lohi and baseline,
   (vjustified, justified=hjustified serve another feature)

- outside the box : only verticaly ?
   one real number [0.0..1.0] plus low depth (=base?) hanging (=top)
   Here a parbox provide an option for aligning the external baseline
   on the "top" ou "bottom" internal line.
   How can I simply optain the "0.5 = vertical middle"

   Probably the positionning parameters for outside the box are more
   complicated : more than the internal reference point mention above is
   to which external reference point the inetrenal point should be
   aligned to ?
   Generaly the baseline of the parent is the choosen one, but
perhaps one
   like to use the "0.5ex hight" one as in minus sign in the "3-2,"
string
   (but the TeX command \raise0.5ex could do that)

-- Maurice

* Re: framed texts for boxing stuff
@ 2006-01-09 23:01             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-09 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maurice Diamantini (dom) wrote:

> Not sure what exactly is "vboxes" (something you can put in hbox? yes
> it is) but LaTeX
> raisebox, parbox, minipage can be put inside a text line.
> minipage can manage its ones footnote, but this is not the question
> here.
> As the "LaTeX++" concurrent package designer, you should read some
> page of the
> LaTeX reference documentation "A document Preparation System"
> It is little book  (272 pages with the index !) and cover the core of
> the
> package.

hm, i prefer to start from user demands and personal needs; we used
latex for a very short time and i don't remember mini pages -)

> Page 103 to 110 are related to boxes, and is what is missing in context.
>
> I'm not sure that ConTeXt \framed command is able to reproduce
> the parbox behavior (position a framed box relatively to its internal
> top
> or bottom line and the outside baseline)

i think we can safely assume that all these things are available somehow
(supp-box.tex implements a lot of box types)

normally \framed can do what's needed, so in your case, if you can make
clear what you want to achieve i'm sure that someone on this list can
provide the answer

>> in most cases you can use framed (make sure that you set 'align' to
>> something in order
>> to enter vmode)
>>
>> framedtext is a bit more clever and handles some spacing issues
>

> With your help, and some old reference doc and the wiki
> (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Vertically_Centered_Boxes)
> I tested the following "one line text" which works.
>
> (My version of TeXExec 5.2.4 doesn't seem to support \startframed and
> \stopframed so I use \framed instead).
>

> \starttext
>
>   % align:    no left right middle normal high low lohi justified
>   % location: low depth hanging
>   a word and --%
>     \framed[width=.2\textwidth,  align=flushright, location=depth]{
>         some stuff
>     }%
>     --%
>     \framed[height=3em,width=11em, align={flushleft,lohi},
> location=hanging]{
>         other stuff
>     }%
>     --%
>   another word, same line
>
> \stoptext
>
> But more generaly, there is a frequent need about boxing stuff and it
> seems that the \framed command is the way to go. But it's not always
> easy to guess the various parameters to get an expected behavior.
> So what is the current reference documentation about framed
>   - Context the manual (page 206) ?
>   - ConTeXt an excursion (page 45) ?

the manual as well as examples inside the core-ful.tex file

the most important properties of framed are

- offset (none,overlay, dimension)
- align (all kind of combinations)
- width/height (dimension or keyword)
- strut (yes|no)

just play a bit with it and you'll see the picture

> Such a command is usefull inside some "hardcoded" slide.
> And there could be a "\boxed" or "\cell" macro with default
> "frame=off" parameters just to serve as special tabular cell.
>
> I think there has to be two pairs of informations to position a
> box (i.e. a "cell" text):
> - how is the box is positioned relatively to its environment (the
> location=
>   keyword I think),

no, location is limited to a few options; you can use macros like
\offset[...]{} or other box positioning macros; layers are also an option

> - how to position the stuff **inside** the box (align= keyword)
>
> What is the need for these 2 parameters :
>
> - inside the box : everywhere. that implies two reals numbers
>   between 0.0 and 1.0 (perhaps wider?)

what are those numbers representing?

>   with some keyword for predefined values (flushleft, middle,  flushright
>   low, high, lohi and baseline,
>   (vjustified, justified=hjustified serve another feature)
>
> - outside the box : only verticaly ?
>   one real number [0.0..1.0] plus low depth (=base?) hanging (=top)
>   Here a parbox provide an option for aligning the external baseline
>   on the "top" ou "bottom" internal line.
>   How can I simply optain the "0.5 = vertical middle"
>
>   Probably the positionning parameters for outside the box are more
>   complicated : more than the internal reference point mention above is
>   to which external reference point the inetrenal point should be
>   aligned to ?
>   Generaly the baseline of the parent is the choosen one, but  perhaps
> one
>   like to use the "0.5ex hight" one as in minus sign in the "3-2,"
> string
>   (but the TeX command \raise0.5ex could do that)

indeed, \raise and \lower and cousins can come in handy

(what do you use those mini mages for?)

Hans

* Re: framed texts for boxing stuff
@ 2006-01-10 22:14               ` Maurice Diamantini (dom)
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Maurice Diamantini (dom) @ 2006-01-10 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini (dom)

Le 10 janv. 06 à 00:01, Hans Hagen a écrit :

> Maurice Diamantini (dom) wrote:
>
>> As the "LaTeX++" concurrent package designer, you should read
>> some  page of the
>> LaTeX reference documentation "A document Preparation System"
>> It is little book  (272 pages with the index !) and cover the core
>> of  the
>> package.
>> Page 103 to 110 are related to boxes, and is what is missing in
>> context.
>
> hm, i prefer to start from user demands and personal needs; we used
> latex for
> a very short time and i don't remember mini pages -)

Ok, but what I mean is the need of such a documentation on the
ConTeXt core, not
reimplementing LaTeX in ConTeXt !

>> I'm not sure that ConTeXt \framed command is able to reproduce
>> the parbox behavior (position a framed box relatively to its
>> internal  top
>> or bottom line and the outside baseline)
>
> i think we can safely assume that all these things are available
> somehow
> (supp-box.tex implements a lot of box types)

I saw this source file thanks to the following URL:
    http://source.contextgarden.net/supp-box.tex
There is very much interesting macro, but I see some
    %D \macros
    %D   {strutdp,strutht,strutwd}
    %D ...
Does it mean that an automatic generated documentation is available
somewhere
on the web?
Or is it mondatoryto browse the source for using these command.

> normally \framed can do what's needed, so in your case, if you can
> make
> clear what you want to achieve i'm sure that someone on this list can
> provide the answer

>> ... So what is the current reference documentation about framed
>>   - Context the manual (page 206) ?
>>   - ConTeXt an excursion (page 45) ?
>
> the manual as well as examples inside the core-ful.tex file

I haven"t been able to find this file!
core-fil.tex exists but doesn't seem to be about using boxes!

> the most important properties of framed are
>
> - offset (none,overlay, dimension)
> - align (all kind of combinations)
> - width/height (dimension or keyword)
> - strut (yes|no)
>
> just play a bit with it and you'll see the picture

Thank you for these informations, I reread the (box related) reference
manual, and better understand the thing!

>> I think there has to be two pairs of informations to position a
>> box (i.e. a "cell" text):
>> - how is the box is positioned relatively to its environment (the
>> location=
>>   keyword I think),
>
> no, location is limited to a few options; you can use macros
> like \offset[...]{} or other box positioning macros; layers
> are also an option

Although I guess what it mean, I didn't found the \offset command
doc neither. I suppose it has numerous
interesting options (on http://texshow.contextgarden.net/)?

>> - inside the box : everywhere. that implies two reals numbers
>>   between 0.0 and 1.0 (perhaps wider?)
>
> what are those numbers representing?

It could just be a way to specify arbitrary position between
left (0.0) and right (1.0) or between bottom (0.0) ant top (1.0)
But the more important whould be a (uptodate) reference documentation
about
the already existing commands.

>>   (but the TeX command \raise0.5ex could do that)
>
> indeed, \raise and \lower and cousins can come in handy

Yes, I always forget TeX command! thank you very much !

> (what do you use those minipages for?)
These are just (v?)boxes which can contain several paragraphs
and theyre own footnotes. Some options can be use to position
theyre internal (top or bottom) line relatively to the external
base line.

No need for now, I only used them in LaTeX for building some boxing
construction. But in context I used vboxex into hboxes (because I
didn't kwox enough about standard \framed command)

In fact, ConTeXt already contains all the needed stuffs, and only
some centralised documentation for using them is missing!

I'm waiting for the future ConTeXt book ;-)

-- Maurice

PS.
Also the ConTeXt wiki becomme more and more rich in information!
Thank you very much for all that

!

* Re: framed texts for boxing stuff
@ 2006-01-10 22:50                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-10 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini (dom)

Maurice Diamantini (dom) wrote:

>> the manual as well as examples inside the core-ful.tex file
>

> I haven"t been able to find this file!
> core-fil.tex exists but doesn't seem to be about using boxes!

core-rul.tex

@ 2006-01-10 22:53                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-10 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini (dom)

Maurice Diamantini (dom) wrote:

> Although I guess what it mean, I didn't found the \offset command
> doc neither. I suppose it has numerous
> interesting options (on http://texshow.contextgarden.net/)?

that;s a new one indeed (that is, old but not yet documented which makes
it new -)

> It could just be a way to specify arbitrary position between
> left (0.0) and right (1.0) or between bottom (0.0) ant top (1.0)
> But the more important whould be a (uptodate) reference documentation
> about
> the already existing commands.

hm, such things are always 'relative' because optimal heights and depth
of lines are involved:

i will think about it

> These are just (v?)boxes which can contain several paragraphs
> and theyre own footnotes. Some options can be use to position
> theyre internal (top or bottom) line relatively to the external
> base line.

ok, so inmost cases framed with frame=off will do; local footnotes can
be provides with the appropriate commands

> I'm waiting for the future ConTeXt book ;-)

press Steve and Adam and hope for many cold and dark nights

@ 2006-01-10 23:28                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-01-10 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/10/06, Maurice Diamantini (dom) wrote:

> Ok, but what I mean is the need of such a documentation on the
> ConTeXt core, not
> reimplementing LaTeX in ConTeXt !

Add to the wiki what you've learned! Hans codes much faster than he
manages to document things, so it's up to the community to keep the
documentation up-to-date ;)

> I saw this source file thanks to the following URL:
>     http://source.contextgarden.net/supp-box.tex
> There is very much interesting macro, but I see some
>     %D \macros
>     %D   {strutdp,strutht,strutwd}
>     %D ...
> Does it mean that an automatic generated documentation is available
> somewhere
> on the web?
> Or is it mondatoryto browse the source for using these command.

See
    http://www.logosrl.it/context/modules/
that Luigi kept preparing last summer (perhaps gave up afterwards?)

But it's HUUUUGE (I would guess that reading the source is faster even
if you see no picture).

> I'm waiting for the future ConTeXt book ;-)

:)

> PS.
> Also the ConTeXt wiki becomme more and more rich in information!
> Thank you very much for all that

Feel free to become one of those who make the wiki better.

Mojca

* Why PDF files generated by ConTeXt are so big?
@ 2006-01-10 23:44                   ` Jilani Khaldi
From: Jilani Khaldi @ 2006-01-10 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have translated some docs from LaTeX to ConTeXt and I found that the
PDF files generated by ConTeXt are almost 3 times bigger than the ones
generated by LaTeX (*). Why all this difference?

jk

(*) MikTeX under Windows

--
Jilani KHALDI
http://jkhaldi.oltrelinux.com

* Re: Why PDF files generated by ConTeXt are so big?
@ 2006-01-11  8:22                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-11  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jilani Khaldi wrote:

> I have translated some docs from LaTeX to ConTeXt and I found that the
> PDF files generated by ConTeXt are almost 3 times bigger than the ones
> generated by LaTeX (*). Why all this difference?

for that you need to look into the pdf file

- are fonts embedded
- how many fonts are used (maybe context has more granularity)
- is the number of pages the same
- is the compression level set to 9
- context uses a different hyperlink model

etc

best compare two 10 page docs and two 100 page docs

another possibility is that there are more 'redundant' cm transforms
(depends a bit); this is actually a pdftex problem but the latest/future
versions will behave better

also, the next version of pdftex will do object compression which means
that files can get much smaller

so, without examples i can't say much (how do 'hello world' docs compare?)

Hans

* Re: Why PDF files generated by ConTeXt are so big?
@ 2006-01-11 12:41                       ` Jilani Khaldi
From: Jilani Khaldi @ 2006-01-11 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> best compare two 10 page docs and two 100 page docs

The best rate I got is in a scientific pubblication with many formulas.
LaTeX:  60 pages (260 kb)
ConTeXt: 61 pages (478 kb)
Instead under Linux (TeTeX) the size is almost the same.

jk

--

@ 2006-01-11 14:14                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-11 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jilani Khaldi wrote:

>> best compare two 10 page docs and two 100 page docs
>

> The best rate I got is in a scientific pubblication with many formulas.
> LaTeX:  60 pages (260 kb)
> ConTeXt: 61 pages (478 kb)
> Instead under Linux (TeTeX) the size is almost the same.

so what do you use otherwise (instead of tetex)?

are the same versions of pdftex used?

Can you post the files someplace (tetex and non tetex variants).

(maybe the tetex context is an old one and does not use latin modern;
latin modern gives larger files due to extensive hinting - read: better
quality; if so, a 600 page doc will have the same difference of about
218 kb)

you can run pdffonts to check this

Hans

* Re: Why PDF files generated by ConTeXt are so big?
@ 2006-01-11 16:45                           ` Jilani Khaldi
From: Jilani Khaldi @ 2006-01-11 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> so what do you use otherwise (instead of tetex)?

Under Linux (Slackware 10.2) I have only TeTeX:
pdftex => This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
pdflatex => This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)

Under Windows (2000 Pro) using MikTeX:
pdftex => This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a (MiKTeX 2.4)
pdflatex => This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.4)  (*)

(*) I am using this one to create PDF files from LaTeX docs. For this
reason, I think, I have almost the same size of PDF files under Windows
(MiKTeX/LaTeX) and Linux (TeTeX/ConTeXt).

ConTeXt premable:
\mainlanguage[italian]
\setupbodyfont[12pt]
\setuppapersize[A4]
\enableregime[il1]

LaTeX preamble:
\documentclass[a4,10pt,fleqn]{report}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{2}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[italian]{babel}
... other packages

> you can run pdffonts to check this

ConTeXt/MiKTeX (Windows)
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
DTTIEI+LMSans12-Regular              Type 1       yes yes no      39  0
EETXYV+LMSans12-Oblique              Type 1       yes yes yes     42  0
DXNZSG+LMSans10-Bold                 Type 1       yes yes yes     45  0
BBOGPU+Utopia-Italic                 Type 1       yes yes no       9  0
YTDIBL+Utopia-Regular                Type 1       yes yes no      14  0
SODXLF+Fourier-Math-Symbols          Type 1C      yes yes no      15  0
CJFCZI+Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic   Type 1C      yes yes no      16  0
YYSITY+Fourier-Math-Extension        Type 1C      yes yes no      17  0
NMJDRH+LMRoman12-Regular             Type 1       yes yes yes     87  0
DQFNRX+LMRoman12-Italic              Type 1       yes yes no      90  0
IHGOTS+LMSans10-Regular              Type 1       yes yes yes    137  0
BLEFMM+LMSans10-Oblique              Type 1       yes yes yes    140  0
TGZULI+LMRoman12-Bold                Type 1       yes yes no     194  0
FHYPVG+LOGO10                        Type 1       yes yes no     197  0
JDIEUM+LMRoman10-Bold                Type 1       yes yes no     205  0
ERNOBW+CMMI12                        Type 1       yes yes no     209  0
IYOQET+LMRoman12-Regular             Type 1       yes yes no     212  0
HUKRQA+CMEX10                        Type 1       yes yes no     215  0
FKFBNU+LMRoman9-Regular              Type 1       yes yes no     218  0
CNWZSY+CMSY10                        Type 1       yes yes no     221  0
SQCOBF+CMMI9                         Type 1       yes yes no     224  0
IAKFGB+LMRoman7-Regular              Type 1       yes yes no     227  0
UTYJTI+CMSY9                         Type 1       yes yes no     274  0
ZCMOAX+CMMI7                         Type 1       yes yes no     326  0
HFGQHV+CMSY7                         Type 1       yes yes no     329  0
ConTeXt/TeTeX (Linux)
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
ZODZLY+CMSSBX10                      Type 1       yes yes no      34  0
GDNCCV+CMSSI12                       Type 1       yes yes no      37  0
DCDFAR+CMSS12                        Type 1       yes yes no      40  0
ASKJEX+CMR12                         Type 1       yes yes no      43  0
AQWQFQ+CMR9                          Type 1       yes yes no      46  0
QTBLYG+Utopia-Italic                 Type 1C      yes yes no       4  0
ESSWFP+Utopia-Regular                Type 1C      yes yes no       5  0
SODXLF+Fourier-Math-Symbols          Type 1C      yes yes no       6  0
CJFCZI+Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic   Type 1C      yes yes no       7  0
YYSITY+Fourier-Math-Extension        Type 1C      yes yes no       8  0
WXACZF+CMTI12                        Type 1       yes yes no      88  0
RTVTJB+CMSS10                        Type 1       yes yes no     135  0
FGDGJS+CMBX10                        Type 1       yes yes no     189  0
CEDOCE+CMMI12                        Type 1       yes yes no     193  0
FWWPUA+CMEX10                        Type 1       yes yes no     196  0
LFQGNZ+CMSY10                        Type 1       yes yes no     199  0
SQAFLI+CMMI9                         Type 1       yes yes no     202  0
BYRSZI+CMR7                          Type 1       yes yes no     205  0
SSTBGA+CMSY9                         Type 1       yes yes no     251  0
SEIPGZ+CMMI7                         Type 1       yes yes no     304  0
EWUBSW+CMSY7                         Type 1       yes yes no     307  0
RELHCG+CMBX12

ps.
I see that the PDF generated by MiKTeX (the bigger one) looks a little
better than the one generated by TeTeX. So I understand now why this
difference between their sizes.

Thank you.

jk

--

@ 2006-01-11 18:27                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-11 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jilani Khaldi wrote:

> I see that the PDF generated by MiKTeX (the bigger one) looks a little
> better than the one generated by TeTeX. So I understand now why this
> difference between their sizes.

Can you make an entry in the wiki summarizing this?

@ 2006-01-11 20:07               ` Bob Kerstetter
From: Bob Kerstetter @ 2006-01-11 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 9, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> hm, i prefer to start from user demands and personal needs; we used
> latex for a very short time and i don't remember mini pages -)

a minipage is a box, but i think it's in paragraph mode.

  \begin{minipage}[position]{width}
   text
  \end{minipage}

Put two together

  \begin{minipage}[t]{.30\linewidth}
   text and images
  \end{minipage}\hfill
%
  \begin{minipage}[t]{.60\linewidth}
   text and images
  \end{minipage}

and you get two boxes horizontally across the page with the hfill
space between them

Put three together:

  \begin{minipage}[t]{.30\linewidth}
   text and images
  \end{minipage}\hfill
%
  \begin{minipage}[t]{.30\linewidth}
   text and images
  \end{minipage}\hfill
%
  \begin{minipage}[t]{.30\linewidth}
   text and images
  \end{minipage}

and you get three boxes horizontally across the page with the hfill
space between them

Their vertical dimensions depend on the amount of content. They don't
cross page breaks.

* Re: Framed texts
@ 2002-05-09 18:43   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-09 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:34 PM 4/24/2002 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>GB> (2) when using a framedtext it's possible to choose wether to
>GB> align the box in the middle or shuffled left or right with the
>GB> first optional argument [left,middle,right]. It is not possible to
>GB> set this when defining the framedtext, though. Why?

The next release will offer "location=left|right|middle|none"; the next
should work with the beta (not sure)

\def\dododostartframedtext[#1][#2][#3]%
   {\doifsomething{#2}{\setvalue{\??kd#1\c!plaats}{#2}}%
    \processaction % \v!laag en \v!diepte are already taken !
      [\getvalue{\??kd#1\c!plaats}]
      [  \v!links=>\letvalue{\??kd#1\c!links }\relax
                   \letvalue{\??kd#1\c!rechts}\hfill,
        \v!rechts=>\letvalue{\??kd#1\c!links }\hfill
                   \letvalue{\??kd#1\c!rechts}\relax,
        \v!midden=>\letvalue{\??kd#1\c!links }\hfill
                   \letvalue{\??kd#1\c!rechts}\hfill,
          \v!geen=>\letvalue{\??kd#1\c!links }\relax % new
                   \letvalue{\??kd#1\c!rechts}\relax]% new
    \letvalue{\??kd#1\c!plaats}\empty

(you definitely know where to patch this -)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Framed texts
@ 2002-04-24 12:34 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-04-24 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Just in case this was missed in the mail server problems:

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Framed texts
@ 2002-04-15 15:01 Giuseppe Bilotta