* Generating smallest possible format file
@ 2006-01-07 15:35 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2006-01-07 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello gurus!

I want to use context as a backend-typesetting engine in a
server-ennvironment. In order to minimize compilation time I want to
make the format files as small as
possible. E.g. I would like to remove all pattern files which are
unnecessary for the purpose of the application.

How do I achieve this?

Cheers
Willi

* Re: Generating smallest possible format file
@ 2006-01-09 11:28 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-01-09 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Willi,

Willi Egger wrote:
> Hello gurus!
>
> I want to use context as a backend-typesetting engine in a
> server-ennvironment. In order to minimize compilation time I want to
> make the format files as small as
> possible. E.g. I would like to remove all pattern files which are
> unnecessary for the purpose of the application.

That is as simple as commenting (some of) the \installlanguage
calls in the cont-XX.tex file you want to use (and don't use
the --all switch of texexec!).

Removing some of the other files can be a bit harder and require
editing core include files:

  * font encodings are loaded in enco-ini.tex
    \useencoding[ans,il2,ec,tbo,pdf,uc,pol,qx,t5,cyr]

  * regimes are loaded in regi-ini:
    \useregime[def,uni,lat,win,il1,mac]

  * unicode tables are loaded in unic-ini:
    \useunicodevector[0,1,2,3,4,5,30,32,33,34,39]

It would be easier if these could be moved to the cont-XX.tex
(or perhaps context.tex) file in a future release.

Also, you can gain some speed by

* dropping the memory array settings in texmf.cnf to as low as you
   can get away with, based on your typical input files;
* and by pruning your texmf tree(s) of as many  files as possible
   (every file and directory in the tree slows down kpathsea
   initialization just a little bit, and it can add up to a
   noticeable delay).
* disabling kpathsea disk searches

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Generating smallest possible format file
@ 2006-01-09 12:23   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2006-01-09 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Beste Taco,

thanks indeed for all this information. I believe, that herewith I can
gain one or the other second!

Willi