* How to break laws in physics?
@ 2006-01-09 11:45 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-01-09 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I thought it was because it was too late for learning that Maxwell
equations failed to work:

\definetypeface [maxwell] [mm] [math] [euler] [default]
\setupbodyfont[maxwell]

\starttext
$$\vec{\nabla}\vec{D}=\rho$$
\stoptext

But apparently it was something else, see math-eul.tex and please fix this:
\definemathcharacter [D]   [nothing] [mr] ["44]

OK, Euler didn't work, so I tried to use Iwona.

\definetypeface [iwona] [mm] [math] [iwona] [default]
\setupbodyfont[iwona]

${\partial\rho\over\partial t}+\vec{\nabla}\vec{\jmath}=0$

(If I fail on the exam, I'll try to explain to professor that I found
a few mistakes in the Maxwell equations and lost the whole time trying
to fix them before I was able to learn further :)

I've found three "kind-of-bugs" in font itself (\jmath and \imath were
missing, \partial is mirrored, vectors placed strangely - the latter
may not be connected with the font itself).

So I tried to redefine \jmath to use dotlessj from italic version of
font and found another "bug" in ConTeXt. dotlessj is commented out in
enco-ec.tex. Well, I understand that it may not be present in every
font, but it's worse: it's already defined in the default encoding, so
\dotlessj results in double quotes, which is worse than no char at
all. enco-ec has some other faults present, I tried to fix a few of
them ([t|s]cedilla should be [t|s]commaaccent, \Eth and \eth were
commented out, while they are OK, one glyph is present twice, I
redefined it to map to the first slot, since usually the second one is
empty, upper/lower casing may still need some revision).

Is there any chance that any numerical definitions of characters
disappear from enco-def slowly? If anyone is using any other encoding
than the standard one, the characters map to something completely
weird then.

Some fixes for enco-def:

% DELETE THIS ONE: IT'S WORSE THAN NOTHING
\definecharacter eth              {\dstroke} % wrong but better that nothing
% and replace by:
\definecharacter eth              {\unknownchar}

\definecharacter scommaaccent     {\buildtextbottomcomma s}
\definecharacter Scommaaccent     {\buildtextbottomcomma S}
\definecharacter tcommaaccent     {\buildtextbottomcomma t}
\definecharacter Tcommaaccent     {\buildtextbottomcomma T}

\definecharacter Ohorndotbelow       {\buildtextbottomdot\Ohorn}
\definecharacter ohorndotbelow       {\buildtextbottomdot\ohorn}
\definecharacter Uhorndotbelow       {\buildtextbottomdot\Uhorn}
\definecharacter uhorndotbelow       {\buildtextbottomdot\uhorn}

enco-ini:

Any chances to add something like:
\definecharacter bottomcomma {,} % comma, lowered a bit
\def\buildtextbottomcomma{\bottomaccent{.25ex}{0}{5}{\textbottomcomma}}

I have no idea what \textbottomcomma should be, but probably just a
comma, lowered a bit. The current definition with ' is a bit strange.

Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: enco-ec.tex --]

* Re: How to break laws in physics?
@ 2006-01-09 18:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-09 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>But apparently it was something else, see math-eul.tex and please fix this:
>\definemathcharacter [D]   [nothing] [mr] ["44]

this was reported recently and fixed; you were probably busy studying at
that time -)

Hans

* Re: How to break laws in physics?
@ 2006-01-09 18:39 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-09 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>\definetypeface [iwona] [mm] [math] [iwona] [default]
>\setupbodyfont[iwona]
>
>${\partial\rho\over\partial t}+\vec{\nabla}\vec{\jmath}=0$
>
>(If I fail on the exam, I'll try to explain to professor that I found
>a few mistakes in the Maxwell equations and lost the whole time trying
>to fix them before I was able to learn further :)

ok, so  it's may fault that you failed that examn ... if so ... at
eurotex/bachotex i'll buy you a beer

>I've found three "kind-of-bugs" in font itself (\jmath and \imath were
>missing, \partial is mirrored, vectors placed strangely - the latter
>may not be connected with the font itself).

can you communicate this with J&J ...

>So I tried to redefine \jmath to use dotlessj from italic version of
>font and found another "bug" in ConTeXt. dotlessj is commented out in
>enco-ec.tex. Well, I understand that it may not be present in every
>font, but it's worse: it's already defined in the default encoding, so
>\dotlessj results in double quotes, which is worse than no char at
>all. enco-ec has some other faults present, I tried to fix a few of
>them ([t|s]cedilla should be [t|s]commaaccent, \Eth and \eth were
>commented out, while they are OK, one glyph is present twice, I
>redefined it to map to the first slot, since usually the second one is
>empty, upper/lower casing may still need some revision).
>
>Is there any chance that any numerical definitions of characters
>disappear from enco-def slowly? If anyone is using any other encoding
>than the standard one, the characters map to something completely
>weird then.

actually all chars in enco-def that use funny numbers should be present
in a (math) font vector; better a wrong something that nothing (we need
a fallback)

the alternative is to have a def which is mostly mapping to nothing and
then make the tex encoding on top of that (quite an effort and it may
temporary introduce bugs)

>Some fixes for enco-def:
>
>% DELETE THIS ONE: IT'S WORSE THAN NOTHING
>\definecharacter eth              {\dstroke} % wrong but better that nothing
>% and replace by:
>\definecharacter eth              {\unknownchar}

ok, gone are the dstrokes (only you use them -)

>\definecharacter scommaaccent     {\buildtextbottomcomma s}
>\definecharacter Scommaaccent     {\buildtextbottomcomma S}
>\definecharacter tcommaaccent     {\buildtextbottomcomma t}
>\definecharacter Tcommaaccent     {\buildtextbottomcomma T}
>
>\definecharacter Ohorndotbelow       {\buildtextbottomdot\Ohorn}
>\definecharacter ohorndotbelow       {\buildtextbottomdot\ohorn}
>\definecharacter Uhorndotbelow       {\buildtextbottomdot\Uhorn}
>\definecharacter uhorndotbelow       {\buildtextbottomdot\uhorn}

added

>enco-ini:
>
>Any chances to add something like:
>\definecharacter bottomcomma {,} % comma, lowered a bit
>\def\buildtextbottomcomma{\bottomaccent{.25ex}{0}{5}{\textbottomcomma}}
>
>I have no idea what \textbottomcomma should be, but probably just a
>comma, lowered a bit. The current definition with ' is a bit strange.

hm, so you suppose that i have an idea ...

\definetypeface[xxx][rm][serif][modern][default][encoding=qx]

{\xxx \scommaaccent}

\definecharacter textbottomcomma  {\hbox{\lower.35ex\hbox{\tx,}}}

\definecharacter scommaaccent     {\buildtextbottomcomma s}

\def\buildtextbottomcomma{\bottomaccent{.15ex}{0}{5}{\tx,}}

\scommaaccent \textbottomcomma

\stoptext

Hans