From: Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
Subject: Re: stretched title text
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:57:05 +0100	[thread overview]

M.guravage wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something has changed in the past couple months that causes my stretched
> title code to fail with the message:
>
>   ! You can't use `\end' in internal vertical mode.
>   <recently read> \normalend
>
> I've attatched a small example. Has anyone a suggestion how I can adapt my
> code accordingly?

This is due to a change in core-sec.tex, for 2005.11.24.

(the addition of \ifcase\headtimingmode to \doplaceheadtext).
Below is a patched version (see lines marked with %TH), but
I am not completely sure if that doesn't break that
\headtimingmode accidentally.

Cheers, Taco

\unprotect
\def\doplaceheadtext#1#2#3#4%
   {\beginheadplacement{#1}%
    \ifemptyhead % = needed
      \setbox0=\ifvertical\vbox\else\hbox\fi to \zeropoint
        {\headnumbercontentfalse
         \resetsystemmode\v!sectionnumber
         #2}%
      \makestrutofbox0
    \else % = needed
      \setbox0=\ifvertical\vbox\else\hbox\fi % \vhbox
        {\headnumbercontentfalse
         \resetsystemmode\v!sectionnumber
         % less interfering
         \ifcase\headtimingmode\or#2\fi
         % outerside font determines distance
         \dosetfontattribute{\??ko#1}\c!style
         % but we don't want color to influence user commands
         % todo: get the if-else out of it
         \getvalue{\??ko#1\c!command}
           {} % no number
           {\dostartattributes{\??ko#1}\c!style\c!color\empty
              \dostartattributes{\??ko#1}\c!textstyle\c!textcolor\empty
                \dontconvertfont
                \ifdisplaysectionhead
                  \setupinterlinespace
                \else
                  \setupspacing
                \fi
                % \ifcase\headtimingmode#2\fi % can introduce cr
                \getvalue{\??ko#1\c!commandbefore}%
                \placeheadmargintexts{#1}% binnen #3?
                \ifdisplaysectionhead
%TH
%TH  \getvalue{\??ko#1\c!textcommand}%
%TH   {\setstrut\begstrut\ifcase\headtimingmode\hbox{#2}\fi#3\endstrut}%
      \ifcase\headtimingmode\hbox{#2}\fi                             %TH
      \getvalue{\??ko#1\c!textcommand}{\setstrut\begstrut#3\endstrut}%TH
%TH
                  \xdef\localheadheight    {\the\strutht}%
                  \xdef\localheaddepth     {\the\strutdp}%
                  \xdef\localheadlineheight{\the\lineheight}%
                  % == \globallet\localheaddepth\strutdepth
                \else
                  \ifcase\headtimingmode#2\fi
                  \getvalue{\??ko#1\c!textcommand}{#3}%
                \fi