* layer question
@ 2006-01-14 22:15 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-01-14 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Consider this example:

\definelayer[extras]
	[width=\paperwidth,
	height=\paperheight]

\setlayer [extras] [x=2cm, y=5cm] {something}

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=extras]

This is ok, the placement is relative to the upper left edge of the
paper.

But following the Details manual, I should be able to use
\placelayer[extras]
instead of the background stuff.
But then the placement is relative to the upper left edge of the text
area.

Is this intended?

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* layer placement question
@ 2006-01-15 12:43 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-01-15 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another question, regarding layer placement:

\def\bleed{3mm}
\setvalue{LogoHeight}{20mm}
\setvalue{LogoWidth}{60mm}
\setvalue{LogoHOffset}{130mm}

\definelayer[logolayer]
	[x=-\bleed, y=-\bleed,
	width=\paperwidth, height=\paperheight]

\setlayerframed[logolayer]
	[y=-\bleed, x=\dimexpr(\getvalue{LogoHOffset}+\bleed)]
	[height=\dimexpr(\getvalue{LogoHeight}+\bleed),
	width=\getvalue{LogoWidth},
	frame=off, offset=0mm, align=low,
	background=color, backgroundcolor=red]{my logo}

I would expect that the x/y coordinates in \setlayer(framed) relate
to the layer's origin (-3, -3) and thus my logo gets placed at (130,
-3).
But in fact it's placed at (133, -3), i.e. x starts at 0 instead of
-3. Why?

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: layer placement question
@ 2006-01-15 18:36   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-15 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Another question, regarding layer placement:
>
> \def\bleed{3mm}
> \setvalue{LogoHeight}{20mm}
> \setvalue{LogoWidth}{60mm}
> \setvalue{LogoHOffset}{130mm}
>
> \definelayer[logolayer]
>     [x=-\bleed, y=-\bleed,
>     width=\paperwidth, height=\paperheight]
>
> \setlayerframed[logolayer]
>     [y=-\bleed, x=\dimexpr(\getvalue{LogoHOffset}+\bleed)]
>     [height=\dimexpr(\getvalue{LogoHeight}+\bleed),
>     width=\getvalue{LogoWidth},
>     frame=off, offset=0mm, align=low,
>     background=color, backgroundcolor=red]{my logo}
>
> I would expect that the x/y coordinates in \setlayer(framed) relate
> to the layer's origin (-3, -3) and thus my logo gets placed at (130,
> -3).
> But in fact it's placed at (133, -3), i.e. x starts at 0 instead of
> -3. Why?

x and y are unique for each \setlayer, use hoffset/voffset instead

Hans

* Re: layer placement question
@ 2006-01-15 20:36     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-01-15 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-01-15 um 19:36 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> I would expect that the x/y coordinates in \setlayer(framed)
>> relate  to the layer's origin (-3, -3) and thus my logo gets
>> placed at (130,  -3).
>> But in fact it's placed at (133, -3), i.e. x starts at 0 instead
>> of  -3. Why?
> x and y are unique for each \setlayer, use hoffset/voffset instead
Thank you, I didn't understand that from the docs.
And in fact not even from your statement.

Seems like x/y always use the upper left corner of the paper,
while hoffset/voffset use the upper left corner of the layer.

But if I use \placelayer instead of backgrounds, x/y is relative to
the text area.
Is that intended? (See my mail "layer question".)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

@ 2006-01-15 22:39       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-15 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2006-01-15 um 19:36 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>>> I would expect that the x/y coordinates in \setlayer(framed)
>>> relate  to the layer's origin (-3, -3) and thus my logo gets  placed
>>> at (130,  -3).
>>> But in fact it's placed at (133, -3), i.e. x starts at 0 instead
>>> of  -3. Why?
>>
>> x and y are unique for each \setlayer, use hoffset/voffset instead
>
> Thank you, I didn't understand that from the docs.
> And in fact not even from your statement.
>
> Seems like x/y always use the upper left corner of the paper,
> while hoffset/voffset use the upper left corner of the layer.

no, it depends on the combination of align and corner (in core-box.tex
you can see presets being defined, so with preset=rightbottom, x/y start
from the rightbottom)

> But if I use \placelayer instead of backgrounds, x/y is relative to
> the text area.
> Is that intended? (See my mail "layer question".)

indeed, put it in a \ruledhbox and you will see

(there is \tightlayer and such in order to get different results)

Hans