* AutoDroppedCaps and indenting
@ 2006-01-21 21:26 Joshua Ellis
From: Joshua Ellis @ 2006-01-21 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may be a silly question, but it appears the use of \AutoDroppedCaps
(or \DroppedCaps) causes indenting settings to do away.  For example:

========================
\AutoDroppedCaps
\setupwhitespace[none]
\setupinterlinespace[small]
\setupindenting[medium]
\indenting[yes]

\starttext

Para 1 blah blah blah para 1 blah blah blah para 1 blah blah blah para 1
blah blah blah para 1 blah blah blah para blah blah blah para 1 blah
blah blah para 1 blah blah blah para 1 blah blah blah

Para 2 blah blah blah para 2 blah blah blah para 2 blah blah blah para 2
blah blah blah para 2 blah blah blah para 2 blah blah blah para 2 blah
blah blah para 2 blah blah blah para 2 blah blah blah para 2 blah blah blah

Para 3 blah blah blah para 3 blah blah blah para 3 blah blah blah para 3
blah blah blah para 3 blah blah blah para 3 blah blah blah para 3 blah
blah blah para 3 blah blah blah para 3 blah blah blah

\stoptext
=========================

Without \AutoDroppedCaps each paragraph is indented as expected.  With
\AutoDroppedCaps, none of the paragraphs are indented.  If
\AutoDroppedCaps is enabled, if I place \indenting[yes] immediately
after the first word of the first paragraph (so it looks like "Para
\indenting[yes] 1"), then the 3rd paragraph is indented, but the second
one is still flush-left.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-joshua

* Sorting question
@ 2006-01-22 10:17 ` Bernd Militzer
From: Bernd Militzer @ 2006-01-22 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

is it possible to produce a sorted list without unsing the entry
\Ueberall in text?

%
\definesorting[person][personen]
\setupsorting[person][criterium = all]
%
\person{Unsinn, Klaus}
\person{Militzer, Bernd}
\person{Horten, Hans}
\person[Ueberall]{Überall, Heinrich}
%
\placelistofpersonen

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bernd

[-- Attachment #2: testsort.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex; name=testsort.tex; charset=UTF-8, Size: 2633 bytes --]

%#ConTeXt

%
%   allgemeine Grundeinstellung
%
\enableregime[windows]          % Eingabe-Codierung
\mainlanguage[de]               % Sprachmodus
\usetypescript[modern][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[12pt]
%
%   Die besondere Seitenanpassung
%
\setuppapersize[a4][a4]
\setuplayout[location=singlesided]

\setuplayout[
    backspace=2.46cm,topspace=1.2cm,
    top=0cm,bottom=0cm,topdistance=0cm,bottomdistance=0cm,
    header=1.5cm,footer=1.0cm,headerdistance=0cm,footerdistance=0cm,
    leftedge=0cm,rightedge=0cm,leftedgedistance=0cm,rightedgedistance=0cm,
    leftmargin=1.5cm,rightmargin=1.0cm,leftmargindistance=0.42cm,rightmargindistance=0.42cm,
    width=16.5cm,height=27.4cm,
]
%
%
%   Zähler für die lfdNr.
%
    \global\newcount\xlfd \xlfd=0
%
    \def\LFD{\futurelet\testchar\MitOptArgLFD}
    %

    \def\MitOptArgLFD{\ifx[\testchar%
     \let\next\OptArgLFD \else %
     \let\next \NoOptArgLFD \fi \next}
    %
    % setzte den Zähler auf bestimmten Wert
    %
    \def\OptArgLFD[#1]{%
        {\global\xlfd=\number#1}
    }
    %
    % erhöhe den Wert um 1
    % und gebe den Zähler aus
    % Besonderheit
    % zweistellige Ausgabe der Zahl also 01., 02. ... 10. 11. ...
    % und Punkt
    %
    \def\NoOptArgLFD{%
    {\global\advance\xlfd by 1\relax}
	\ifnum\xlfd<10
	0\fi
    \number\xlfd.
    }
%
%    Linie nach dem Namen
%
    \def\myrule{ {\thinrules[n=1]\par}}
%
%
%
\starttext
%
%
% 1. ex no prob
%

\definesorting[personA][personenA]
\setupsorting[personA][criterium = all,before=\LFD,after=\myrule]

\personA{Unsinn, Klaus}
\personA{Militzer, Bernd}
\personA{Horten, Hans}

\placelistofpersonenA

\page

% 2. ex prob Überall on wrong position

%

\definesorting[personB][personenB]
\setupsorting[personB][criterium = all,before=\LFD,after=\myrule]

\personB{Unsinn, Klaus}
\personB{Militzer, Bernd}
\personB{Horten, Hans}
\personB{Überall, Heinrich}

\placelistofpersonenB

\page

% 3. ex prob Überall is missing

%
\definesorting[personC][personenC]
\setupsorting[personC][criterium = all,before=\LFD,after=\myrule]

\personC{Unsinn, Klaus}
\personC{Militzer, Bernd}
\personC{Horten, Hans}
\personC[Ueberall]{Überall, Heinrich}

\placelistofpersonenC

\page

% 4. ex prob Überall is missing

%
\definesorting[personD][personenD]
\setupsorting[personD][criterium = all,before=\LFD,after=\myrule]

\personD{Unsinn, Klaus}
\personD{Militzer, Bernd}
\personD{Horten, Hans}
\personD[Ueberall]{Überall, Heinrich}

First I use \Ueberall\ in text

\placelistofpersonenD

\page

\stoptext

* Re: Sorting question
@ 2006-01-22 17:02   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2006-01-22 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bernd Militzer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to produce a sorted list without unsing the entry
> \Ueberall in text?
>
> %
> \definesorting[person][personen]
> \setupsorting[person][criterium = all]
> %
> \person{Unsinn, Klaus}
> \person{Militzer, Bernd}
> \person{Horten, Hans}
> \person[Ueberall]{Überall, Heinrich}
> %
> \placelistofpersonen
 >
 > Any ideas?

We need to define (German?) sorting rules for newtexexec (newtexutil).
Tell me in between 'Ü' have to be sorted I will try to prepare a code
for this rule.

Vit

> [...]
> \setupsorting[personB][criterium = all,before=\LFD,after=\myrule]
>
> \personB{Unsinn, Klaus}
> \personB{Militzer, Bernd}
> \personB{Horten, Hans}
> \personB{�berall, Heinrich}
>
> \placelistofpersonenB
>
> \page
>
> % 3. ex prob �berall is missing
>
> %
> \definesorting[personC][personenC]
> \setupsorting[personC][criterium = all,before=\LFD,after=\myrule]
>
> \personC{Unsinn, Klaus}
> \personC{Militzer, Bernd}
> \personC{Horten, Hans}
> \personC[Ueberall]{�berall, Heinrich}
>
> \placelistofpersonenC
>
> \page
>
> % 4. ex prob �berall is missing
>
> %
> \definesorting[personD][personenD]
> \setupsorting[personD][criterium = all,before=\LFD,after=\myrule]

Ing. Vít Zýka, Ph.D.                         TYPOkvítek

database publishing              databazove publikovani
data maintaining and typesetting in typographic quality
priprava dat a jejich sazba v typograficke kvalite

tel.: (+420) 777 198 189     www: http://typokvitek.com

* Re: Sorting question
@ 2006-01-22 19:36     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-01-22 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/22/06, Vit Zyka wrote:

> We need to define (German?) sorting rules for newtexexec (newtexutil).
> Tell me in between 'Ü' have to be sorted I will try to prepare a code
> for this rule.

ä (adiaeresis) is identical to a, ö (odiaeresis) identical to o, ü
(udiaeresis) identical to u, the same for uppercase. ß (ssharp) is
edentical to "ss" (same for uppercase, but in uppercase it's written
as SS anyway).

Mojca

* Re: Sorting question
@ 2006-01-23  0:06       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-01-23  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-01-22 um 20:36 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

>> We need to define (German?) sorting rules for newtexexec
>> (newtexutil).
>> Tell me in between 'Ü' have to be sorted I will try to prepare a code
>> for this rule.
> ä (adiaeresis) is identical to a, ö (odiaeresis) identical to o, ü
> (udiaeresis) identical to u, the same for uppercase. ß (ssharp) is
> edentical to "ss" (same for uppercase, but in uppercase it's written
> as SS anyway).

Additionally there's the 'phone book' sorting, where
ä = ae, ö = oe, ü = ue, ß = ss

The former should be default, the latter an option.

Other accented characters same as unaccented (in both sortings).

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Sorting question
@ 2006-01-23  0:08       ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2006-01-23  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 1/22/06, Vit Zyka wrote:
>

>>We need to define (German?) sorting rules for newtexexec (newtexutil).
>>Tell me in between 'Ü' have to be sorted I will try to prepare a code
>>for this rule.
>

> ä (adiaeresis) is identical to a, ö (odiaeresis) identical to o, ü
> (udiaeresis) identical to u, the same for uppercase. ß (ssharp) is
> edentical to "ss" (same for uppercase, but in uppercase it's written
> as SS anyway).

Hmmm, that is not complete: I understand that every ü, Ü, u, U comes to
single group, but is u<ü<U<Ü? Let say yes. Then try
------------------------------
\input sort-ini.tex

\useregime[win]
\enableregime[windows]          % Eingabe-Codierung
\mainlanguage[de]               % Sprachmodus
\usetypescript[modern][texnansi]

\startmode[sortorder-de]
   \exportsortexpansion{u}{u+1}
   \exportsortexpansion{udiaeresis}{u+2}
   \exportsortexpansion{U}{u+3}
   \exportsortexpansion{Udiaeresis}{u+4}
   \exportsortdivision{u+1}{u}
   \exportsortdivision{u+2}{u}
   \exportsortdivision{u+3}{u}
   \exportsortdivision{u+4}{u}
\stopmode

\setmode{sortorder-de}

\starttext

\definesorting[person][personen]
\setupsorting[person][criterium = all]
%\def\person#1{#1\expanded{\index{#1}}, }
%\def\person#1{#1\index{#1}, }

\person{Unsinn, Klaus}
\person{Militzer, Bernd}
\person{Horten, Hans}
%\person{Überall, Heinrich}
\person{\Udiaeresis berall, Heinrich}

\placelistofpersonen
%\placeindex[alternative=A]

\stoptext
------------------------------

Comments:
- newtexexec is needed!
- works for both index/sorting
- works only for \Udiaeresis not for direct Ü! Strange! Why?

Vit

* Re: Sorting question
@ 2006-01-23  0:19         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-01-23  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-01-23 um 01:08 schrieb Vit Zyka:
>> ä (adiaeresis) is identical to a, ö (odiaeresis) identical to o, ü
>> (udiaeresis) identical to u, the same for uppercase. ß (ssharp) is
>> edentical to "ss" (same for uppercase, but in uppercase it's written
>> as SS anyway).
>
> Hmmm, that is not complete: I understand that every ü, Ü, u, U
> comes to single group, but is u<ü<U<Ü? Let say yes. Then try

I didn't test your code, but u, ü, U and Ü should be handled as same
(in "normal German order")
and u=U, ü=ue=Ü=Ue=UE in "German phone book order".

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: AutoDroppedCaps and indenting
@ 2006-01-23 18:55 ` Joshua Ellis
From: Joshua Ellis @ 2006-01-23 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joshua Ellis wrote:
> This may be a silly question, but it appears the use of \AutoDroppedCaps
> (or \DroppedCaps) causes indenting settings to do away.

My problem with DroppedCaps occurred in using the latest build...
texexec --version shows cont-en : ver: 2006.01.16 18:35

I found if I put DroppedCaps in supp-fun.tex back to the previous
version -- in other words, commented out

    {\noindenting
      \dontleavehmode

and uncommented

   \ifhmode\hskip-\parindent\fi

The problem went away.

Thanks,
-joshua

* Re: Sorting question
@ 2006-01-23 23:26           ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2006-01-23 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2006-01-23 um 01:08 schrieb Vit Zyka:
>
>>> ä (adiaeresis) is identical to a, ö (odiaeresis) identical to o, ü
>>> (udiaeresis) identical to u, the same for uppercase. ß (ssharp) is
>>> edentical to "ss" (same for uppercase, but in uppercase it's written
>>> as SS anyway).
>>

>> Hmmm, that is not complete: I understand that every ü, Ü, u, U  comes
>> to single group, but is u<ü<U<Ü? Let say yes. Then try
>

> I didn't test your code, but u, ü, U and Ü should be handled as same
> (in "normal German order")
> and u=U, ü=ue=Ü=Ue=UE in "German phone book order".

Hmmm, I feel that the situation is more complicated (same as in Czech).
Proper sorting needs several (3 or 4, perhaps some languages more?) passes:

1. pass: division - define which letters comes to the same group (it can
be also group of letters) - defined for newtexutil.rb

2. pass: sorting with the simplified rules e.g. ü=ue=Ü=Ue=UE

3. pass: if all letter are the same according the 2. pass, then apply
e.g. ü<ue<Ü<Ue<UE

4. ??? (perhaps problems with Czech 'Ch').

After that:

'Üb' < 'üz' < 'Üz'

> Greetlings from Lake Constance!

Enjoy it.