* SVG images
@ 2006-01-26 12:05 Ville Voipio
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ville Voipio @ 2006-01-26 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would need to embed some SVG images into a ConTeXt document. I have
done some research on the topic, and the seemingly trivial task seems
all but impossible.

I found a few solutions, but none of them fits my needs:

- I want to have my vector images in vector format (i.e., no
Inkscape-to-PNG)

- alpha-channel transparency is used in the images, and it should be
present in the PDF file, as well (i.e., no Inkscape-to-EPS)

- if I used commercial products, I would not use SVG (i.e., the
converter should be open source)

The images have been (will be) created with Inkscape. While being
otherwise a surprisingly nice piece of software, Inkscape does not seem
to export PDF for some reason or another (licencing, time, etc.).

I have the impression I just ran out of luck. Did I?

- Ville

* Re: SVG images
@ 2006-01-26 12:26 ` Tobias Hilbricht
From: Tobias Hilbricht @ 2006-01-26 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Donnerstag, 26. Januar 2006 13:05 schrieb Ville Voipio:
> I would need to embed some SVG images
> - I want to have my vector images in vector format (i.e., no
> Inkscape-to-PNG)
>
> - alpha-channel transparency is used in the images, and it should be
> present in the PDF file, as well (i.e., no Inkscape-to-EPS)
>
> - if I used commercial products, I would not use SVG (i.e., the
> converter should be open source)

Skencil http://www.skencil.org can open and save SVG and exports to PDF via
reportlab. As I have not worked with transparency yet I do not know if that
works all the way from SVG to PDF. Could you post me a little sample image to
run it through Skencil?

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht

--
Dr. Tobias Hilbricht
Linopus Satz und Grafik

* Re: SVG images
@ 2006-01-26 12:38 ` pclouds
From: pclouds @ 2006-01-26 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cairo (www.cairographics.org) plus a librsvg development version
(librsvg.sourceforge.net) seem be able to produce pdf from svg but i
haven't tried it yet. You also need a bit of code.

On 1/26/06, Ville Voipio <ville.voipio@kpatents.com> wrote:
> I would need to embed some SVG images into a ConTeXt document. I have
> done some research on the topic, and the seemingly trivial task seems
> all but impossible.
>
> I found a few solutions, but none of them fits my needs:
>
> - I want to have my vector images in vector format (i.e., no
> Inkscape-to-PNG)
>
> - alpha-channel transparency is used in the images, and it should be
> present in the PDF file, as well (i.e., no Inkscape-to-EPS)
>
> - if I used commercial products, I would not use SVG (i.e., the
> converter should be open source)
>

> The images have been (will be) created with Inkscape. While being
> otherwise a surprisingly nice piece of software, Inkscape does not seem
> to export PDF for some reason or another (licencing, time, etc.).
>
> I have the impression I just ran out of luck. Did I?
>
> - Ville

Bi Cờ Lao

* Re: SVG images
@ 2006-01-26 13:07   ` Ville Voipio
From: Ville Voipio @ 2006-01-26 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Skencil http://www.skencil.org can open and save SVG and exports to PDF via
> reportlab. As I have not worked with transparency yet I do not know if that
> works all the way from SVG to PDF. Could you post me a little sample image to
> run it through Skencil?

All right. I sent some files to Tobias (above), and he very kindly made
some experiments. Skencil could not do this (alas!) but Scribus did it
almost correctly. Scribus seems to have some problem with alpha channel
gradients, but the problem looks like a problem with some color
correction/conversion, not a real SVG/PDF issue.

I will go on experimenting and report here if I find out something more.

- Ville

* Re: SVG images
@ 2006-01-26 13:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-26 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ville Voipio wrote:

>I would need to embed some SVG images into a ConTeXt document. I have
>done some research on the topic, and the seemingly trivial task seems
>all but impossible.
>
>I found a few solutions, but none of them fits my needs:
>
>- I want to have my vector images in vector format (i.e., no
>Inkscape-to-PNG)
>
>- alpha-channel transparency is used in the images, and it should be
>present in the PDF file, as well (i.e., no Inkscape-to-EPS)
>
>- if I used commercial products, I would not use SVG (i.e., the
>converter should be open source)
>

>The images have been (will be) created with Inkscape. While being
>otherwise a surprisingly nice piece of software, Inkscape does not seem
>to export PDF for some reason or another (licencing, time, etc.).

see link below

>I have the impression I just ran out of luck. Did I?

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/xmanipulate.pdf

so, you can let context do runtime conversions and it will only convert when the graphic is updated

probably one of those manuals that nobody noticed -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: SVG images
@ 2006-01-26 14:08     ` Tobias Hilbricht
From: Tobias Hilbricht @ 2006-01-26 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Donnerstag, 26. Januar 2006 14:07 schrieb Ville Voipio:
> Scribus did it
> almost correctly. Scribus seems to have some problem with alpha channel
> gradients, but the problem looks like a problem with some color
> correction/conversion, not a real SVG/PDF issue.

Hello Ville,
for the first test of which I sent you the result I used the current stable
version 1.2.4.1 of Scribus. The developer release 1.3.2 of Scribus is a bit
more verbose upon opening of your test.svg and says that this SVG contains
features not yet fully supported in Scribus - I guess it is these alpha
channel gradients?
But I just read that there is a native ConTeXt solution.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht

--
Dr. Tobias Hilbricht