* page float in columnset
@ 2006-01-26 21:24 Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2006-01-26 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi wizards,

let me go back to columnsets. I try to place a float spanning the whole
page area. When doing that the running text placing exactly one page is
completely and forever lost! Please see example:

\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\showgrid

\starttext
\startcolumnset
   \dorecurse{4}{#1 --- \input knuth \blank\endgraf}
   \placefigure[here]{none}{%
     \framed
       [width=\makeupwidth,height=\textheight,offset=overlay]
       {Page float.}}
   \dorecurse{10}{#1 --- \input knuth \blank\endgraf}
\stopcolumnset
\stoptext

Switching here -> page, tops, ... does not solve the problem.
The similar behaviour is observed when a float has one column width and
fit the whole column height.

Is there some solution or another way how to do that and preserve the text?

Thanks
Vit

* Re: page float in columnset
@ 2006-01-26 22:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-26 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:

>Hi wizards,
>
>let me go back to columnsets. I try to place a float spanning the whole
>page area. When doing that the running text placing exactly one page is
>completely and forever lost! Please see example:

>\setuplayout[grid=yes]
>\showgrid
>
>\starttext
>\startcolumnset
>   \dorecurse{4}{#1 --- \input knuth \blank\endgraf}
>   \placefigure[here]{none}{%
>     \framed
>       [width=\makeupwidth,height=\textheight,offset=overlay]
>       {Page float.}}
>   \dorecurse{10}{#1 --- \input knuth \blank\endgraf}
>\stopcolumnset
>\stoptext
>
>Switching here -> page, tops, ... does not solve the problem.
>The similar behaviour is observed when a float has one column width and
>fit the whole column height.
>
>Is there some solution or another way how to do that and preserve the text?

you were the guy running an ancient context, wasn;t it?

works ok here (although i admit that this mechanism is a bit tricky; a solution is to make the graphic .99 textheight (in columnset sone runs into rounding error problems

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: page float in columnset
@ 2006-02-01  1:36   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2006-02-01  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>

>>Hi wizards,
>>
>>let me go back to columnsets. I try to place a float spanning the whole
>>page area. When doing that the running text placing exactly one page is
>>completely and forever lost! Please see example:
>>
>>-----------------------------------------
>>\setuplayout[grid=yes]
>>\showgrid
>>
>>\starttext
>>\startcolumnset
>>  \dorecurse{4}{#1 --- \input knuth \blank\endgraf}
>>  \placefigure[here]{none}{%
>>    \framed
>>      [width=\makeupwidth,height=\textheight,offset=overlay]
>>      {Page float.}}
>>  \dorecurse{10}{#1 --- \input knuth \blank\endgraf}
>>\stopcolumnset
>>\stoptext
>>-------------------------------------------
>>
>>Switching here -> page, tops, ... does not solve the problem.
>>The similar behaviour is observed when a float has one column width and
>>fit the whole column height.
>>
>>Is there some solution or another way how to do that and preserve the text?
>>

> you were the guy running an ancient context, wasn;t it?

Yes on my machine, not so ancient on an notebook; but your context is
old too since you sent me off-list the same wrong result ;-)

Please, closely look on the paragraph numbering. In the second paragraph
sequence the number 2, 3, and 4 are missing, number 1 and 5 are partialy
missing -> total one page is lost.

> works ok here (although i admit that this mechanism is a bit tricky;

i believe; it is one context's advantage over plain or latex, so it can
be a new challenge to decrease the number of bugs...

> a solution is to make the graphic .99 textheight

even .98 not ;-) No, it does not solve. Text stops to disappear when
there is enough space for at least one line. But I would like only
figure on the page. Not with one or more line text. Yes one can add some
imaginary empty line, but it is agly (and difficult if some \vadjust
inside a paragraph is needed).

> (in columnset sone runs into rounding error problems

Perhaps but loosing text it the worst variant - no error, no warning, no
graphical mark. You can easily overlook such disaster.

Vit

* Re: page float in columnset
@ 2006-02-01 19:35     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-02-01 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Vit Zyka wrote:

ah ... your persistent ...

you can try this:

\OTRSEToutput
  {\dontcomplain % new, get rid of overfull message (to be sorted out)
   \doloop
     {\OTRSETnaturalflush
     %\OTRSETstartnextpage %  no
      \OTRSETdoflushfloats % actually belongs in \flushsavedfloats (but goes wrong)
      \OTRSETcheckfreelines
      \ifsomefreecolumncells \exitloop \fi}%
   \OTRSETchecksidefloat}

tricky patch so please test extensively! (for the moment put this in your local copy of cont-loc.tex or maybe in your doc)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: page float in columnset
@ 2006-02-02 11:20       ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2006-02-02 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>
>>Hans Hagen wrote:
>>

>>>Vit Zyka wrote:
>>>

> ah ... your persistent ...

yes, slow but persistent (hopefully not annoying...)

> you can try this:
>
> \OTRSEToutput
>   {\dontcomplain % new, get rid of overfull message (to be sorted out)
>    \doloop
>      {\OTRSETnaturalflush
>      %\OTRSETstartnextpage %  no
>       \OTRSETdoflushfloats % actually belongs in \flushsavedfloats (but goes wrong)
>       \OTRSETcheckfreelines
>       \ifsomefreecolumncells \exitloop \fi}%
>    \OTRSETchecksidefloat}

Huraaaaa!!! Great. It works! It works! It works! It works at least for:

- full page float: [page|here](\textheight,\makeupwidth) in simple example

- full column float: [here](\textheight,\OneColWidth) in simple example

- does not change page break and/or float positions in 160 pages 2 or 3
columnsets document with about 330 floats!

- and more over: preserves any text in this doc!

It does not work for \startcolumns (not columnsets) but
- seems to me it is another problem (break one more line in each column
that is appropriate to \textheight)
- the behaviour is exactly the same with or without the new patch

Thank you, Hans, very much! I do not know how to reciprocate with...
(you sometimes suggest to buy a beer but I am afraid of your being
drunken if everybody who is helped by you buys to you a beer :)

Vit

> tricky patch so please test extensively! (for the moment put this in your local copy of cont-loc.tex or maybe in your doc)
>
> Hans

* Re: page float in columnset
@ 2006-02-02 12:21         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-02-02 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:
> Huraaaaa!!! Great. It works! It works! It works! It works at least for:
>
> - full page float: [page|here](\textheight,\makeupwidth) in simple example
>
> - full column float: [here](\textheight,\OneColWidth) in simple example
>
> - does not change page break and/or float positions in 160 pages 2 or 3
> columnsets document with about 330 floats!
>
> - and more over: preserves any text in this doc!

ok, i'll add the patch to page-set.tex

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: page float in columnset
@ 2006-02-02 12:23         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-02-02 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:
> - does not change page break and/or float positions in 160 pages 2 or 3
> columnsets document with about 330 floats!

so you have the world record now of the most complex doc made with column sets; makes me confident that this (tricky) mechanism is becoming workable

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: page float in columnset
@ 2006-02-02 13:20           ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2006-02-02 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>
>>- does not change page break and/or float positions in 160 pages 2 or 3
>>columnsets document with about 330 floats!

...I can add fluent marginal column where the main text spans 2
columnsets...

> so you have the world record now of the most complex doc made with column sets; makes me confident that this (tricky) mechanism is becoming workable
 >
 > Hans

:-) That is a good news. Bad news is that I am working on this since
March; on September it was to be done, but was not. Even worst, it has
not been finnished yet - currently in the proofreading stage.
Fortunately it is not a commercial job. But my friends are wondering
what I can so long to do at it and they consider me to be crazy.

Vit