From: Vit Zyka <vit.zyka@seznam.cz>
Subject: Re: Fonts problems
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:06:23 +0100	[thread overview]

Michal Kvasnička wrote:
> Good afternoon.
>
> I apologize that I bother you once more, but I'm getting desperate. :-(
> I have still problem with fonts in ConTeXt---perhaps I'm not able to
> install it well. I use ConTeXt  ver: 2006.02.03 21:00, pdfeTeX, Version
> 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4), tetex-3.0-13 under SuSE Linux 9.2 (the
> tetex is grabbed from Suse 9.3). I tried to copy all files where I
> thought they should have been, texhashed, and build formats. Now, some
> things work, but not all of them, and not in an expected way.
>
> Problem 1: I expect that a following file should typeset "tufte" in
> Latin Modern font.
>     \setupoutput[pdf]
>     \starttext
>     \input tufte
>     \stoptext
> ConTeXt loads some map files (/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map
> /dvips/context/original-empty.map}{/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/context/ori
> ginal-base.map}{/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/context/ec-public-lm.map}{/usr
> /share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/context/ec-base.map}{/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dv
> ips/context/8r-base.map}{/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/context/t5-base.map}{
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-ams-base.map}{/usr/share/tex
> mf/fonts/map/dvips/context/original-ams-euler.map}{/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/d
> vips/context/original-public-lm.map}), but it clearly isn't able to find
> the right one, since it writes this error message:
>     kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 72 --mag 1+0/72 --dpi 72
> ec-lmr12
>     mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ec-lmr12.

Hello,

it seems like old lm package (wrong map files). Try to update from
http://www.tug.org/cgi-bin/dirarchive/tex-archive/fonts/lm/fonts.zip

Vit Zyka

> [...]
> But I was told that I should omit this line. What's the problem? How can
> I correct it?
>

> Problem 2: Let's suppose I add into the previous file this
>     B\"oh-Bawerk
> then the letter \"o is missing (a white space is on its place). Isn't
> there a bug in the Latin modern fonts/virtual fonts/metrics, or
> whatever? Moreover, gv views the hyphen over the "h" and "B" letters.
> (Acrobat Reader 7 view it all right.) How is that possible.
>

> Problem 3: Some fonts are not used properly. The following file
>     \setupoutput[pdf]
>     \loadmapfile[psclean.map]
>     \usetypescript[ppl] % working pos
>     \switchtobodyfont[ppl,10pt]
>     \starttext
>     \input tufte\par
>     \stoptext
> works well. It works even if I change "pos" to "ppl", "ptm", "phv", or
> "tim". It works even when changed to "pcr", but the text is ragged. When
> changed to "con", "bookman", or "iwona", it does nothing---the text is
> typeset in Latin Modern. When changed to "ant", I get this error message:
>     kpathsea: Running mktextfm sy-anttrz
>     /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map typeface abbreviation
> y- for sy-anttrz.
>     /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/fontname/special.map?
>     mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
> nonstopmode; input sy-anttrz
>     This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>     kpathsea: Running mktexmf sy-anttrz
>     ! I can't find file `sy-anttrz'.
> I think I have installed all these fonts (instead of Adobe fonts I have
> URW ones). What's wrong.
>

> Problem 4: From what afm files were the tfm metrics for Times,
> Helvetica, and Palatino generated? Accents are positioned in a strange
> way and after a tquoteright is a strange hole (bad kerning).  A long
> time ago I've generated myself tfm metrics from afm files of URW fonts,
> and they look much better. Were these afm files used, or were used some
> afm metrics of fonts that do not include accented letter, i.e. are those
> letters just TeX-based composites?
>

> Problem 5: How can I switch back to CS fonts? (Well, I know I bother you
> all, but I still do not like Latin Modern fonts.) :-( I thought that
> something like this could work, but it doesn't:
>     \setupoutput[pdf]
>     \loadmapfile[psclean.map]
>     \loadmapfile[/usr/share/texmf/dvips/context/original-public-csr.map]
>     \starttypescript [serif] [computer-modern] [il2]
>       \definefontsynonym [cmb10]    [csb10]    [encoding=il2]
>       \definefontsynonym [cmbsy10]  [csbsy10]  [encoding=il2]
>     \stoptypescript
>     \usetypescript[computer-modern][il2]
>     \switchtobodyfont[computer-modern,10pt]
>     \starttext
>     \input tufte
>     \stoptext
> How can I do it?
>
> I apologize for so many questions. Many thanks for your help.

Ing. Vít Zýka, Ph.D.                         TYPOkvítek

database publishing              databazove publikovani
data maintaining and typesetting in typographic quality
priprava dat a jejich sazba v typograficke kvalite

tel.: (+420) 777 198 189     www: http://typokvitek.com