* Force an indent
@ 2006-02-20  8:47 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-02-20  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

How can I force an indent on my last paragraph? My attempt below does
not work. I don't really want to redefine any setups, I just want an
indent this one time.

%output=pdf

\starttext

Again, we choose to multiply the fours, then the result by the square
root of three. That is,

\placeformula[-]
\startformula
   4(4\sqrt3)
   =16\sqrt3.
\stopformula

\indent By induction, we can argue that that the associative and
commutative properties will allows us to group and arrange the
product of more than three numbers in any order that we please.

\stoptext

* Re: Force an indent
@ 2006-02-20 10:56 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-02-20 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> All,
>
> How can I force an indent on my last paragraph? My attempt below does
> not work. I don't really want to redefine any setups, I just want an
> indent this one time.

\indent inserts indentation the size of \parindent, which is exactly
zero points in this case.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Force an indent
@ 2006-02-20 17:48   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-02-20 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK,

But this gives the same result. No indent.

%output=pdf

\setupwhitespace[medium]

\setupindenting[medium,yes]

\starttext

Again, we choose to multiply the fours, then the result by the square
root of three. That is,

\placeformula[-]
\startformula
   4(4\sqrt3)
   =16\sqrt3.
\stopformula

\indent By induction, we can argue that that the associative and
commutative properties will allows us to group and arrange the
product of more than three numbers in any order that we please.

\stoptext

How can I get that paragraph after the placeformula to indent?

On Feb 20, 2006, at 2:56 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> David Arnold wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> How can I force an indent on my last paragraph? My attempt below does
>> not work. I don't really want to redefine any setups, I just want an
>> indent this one time.
>
> \indent inserts indentation the size of \parindent, which is exactly
> zero points in this case.
>
> Cheers, Taco

* Re: Force an indent
@ 2006-02-20 18:13     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-02-20 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> OK,
>
> But this gives the same result. No indent.

[ok]

> How can I get that paragraph after the placeformula to indent?

   \setupindenting[medium,yes]
   \setupformulas[indentnext=yes]
   %\setupfloats[indentnext=yes] % maybe desired as well?

I just discovered that only this

   \setupindenting[medium,always]

doesn't work either, and that is a bit counterintuitive.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Force an indent
@ 2006-02-20 18:36     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-02-20 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> OK,
>
> But this gives the same result. No indent.
>
> %output=pdf
>
> \setupwhitespace[medium]
>
> \setupindenting[medium,yes]

\setupformulas[indentnext=auto]
(even without \indent)

Peter

> \starttext
>
> Again, we choose to multiply the fours, then the result by the square
> root of three. That is,
>
> \placeformula[-]
> \startformula
>    4(4\sqrt3)
>    =16\sqrt3.
> \stopformula
>
> \indent By induction, we can argue that that the associative and
> commutative properties will allows us to group and arrange the
> product of more than three numbers in any order that we please.
>
> \stoptext
>
> How can I get that paragraph after the placeformula to indent?
>

> On Feb 20, 2006, at 2:56 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>> David Arnold wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> How can I force an indent on my last paragraph? My attempt below does
>>> not work. I don't really want to redefine any setups, I just want an
>>> indent this one time.
>> \indent inserts indentation the size of \parindent, which is exactly
>> zero points in this case.
>>
>> Cheers, Taco

* Re: Force an indent
@ 2006-02-20 18:55       ` David Arnold
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: David Arnold @ 2006-02-20 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco, Peter,

I guess I am not making myself clear.

I do not want to do this:

\setupformulas[indentnext=auto]

or this:

\setupformulas[indentnext=yes]

Because that has the effect that paragraphs following formulae are
always indented. I don't want that. I want to be able to type the
source like this ...

\setupwhitespace[medium]

\setupindenting[medium,yes]

\starttext

Again, we choose to multiply the fours, then the result by the square
root of three. That is,

\placeformula[-]
\startformula
   4(4\sqrt3)
   =16\sqrt3.
\stopformula

By induction, we can argue that that the associative and commutative
properties will allows us to group and arrange the product of more
than three numbers in any order that we please.

\stoptext

... and not have the next paragraph after the formula. That is the
default. That is what I want. However, on occasion, "sometimes" I do
want to indent the next paragraph after a formula. My question is,
how to override the default behavior "on occasion." That is, every
"rare once in a while," how do I indent a paragraph after a formula.

On Feb 20, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> David Arnold wrote:
>> OK,
>>
>> But this gives the same result. No indent.
>
> [ok]
>
>> How can I get that paragraph after the placeformula to indent?
>
>    \setupindenting[medium,yes]
>    \setupformulas[indentnext=yes]
>    %\setupfloats[indentnext=yes] % maybe desired as well?
>
> I just discovered that only this
>
>    \setupindenting[medium,always]
>
> doesn't work either, and that is a bit counterintuitive.
>
> Cheers, Taco

* Re: Force an indent
@ 2006-02-20 19:21         ` Peter Rolf
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-02-20 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> Taco, Peter,
>
> I guess I am not making myself clear.
>
> I do not want to do this:
>
> \setupformulas[indentnext=auto]
>
> or this:
>
> \setupformulas[indentnext=yes]

o.k.

\leavevmode\indent (or maybe better, but untested: \dontleavehmode\indent)

looks strange, but works.

> Because that has the effect that paragraphs following formulae are
> always indented. I don't want that. I want to be able to type the
> source like this ...
>
> \setupwhitespace[medium]
>
> \setupindenting[medium,yes]
>
> \starttext
>
> Again, we choose to multiply the fours, then the result by the square
> root of three. That is,
>
> \placeformula[-]
> \startformula
>    4(4\sqrt3)
>    =16\sqrt3.
> \stopformula
>
> By induction, we can argue that that the associative and commutative
> properties will allows us to group and arrange the product of more
> than three numbers in any order that we please.
>
> \stoptext
>
> ... and not have the next paragraph after the formula. That is the
> default. That is what I want. However, on occasion, "sometimes" I do
> want to indent the next paragraph after a formula. My question is,
> how to override the default behavior "on occasion." That is, every
> "rare once in a while," how do I indent a paragraph after a formula.
>

> On Feb 20, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> David Arnold wrote:
>>> OK,
>>>
>>> But this gives the same result. No indent.
>> [ok]
>>
>>> How can I get that paragraph after the placeformula to indent?
>>    \setupindenting[medium,yes]
>>    \setupformulas[indentnext=yes]
>>    %\setupfloats[indentnext=yes] % maybe desired as well?
>>
>> I just discovered that only this
>>
>>    \setupindenting[medium,always]
>>
>> doesn't work either, and that is a bit counterintuitive.
>>
>> Cheers, Taco

* Re: Force an indent
@ 2006-02-20 19:25         ` Joshua Ellis
From: Joshua Ellis @ 2006-02-20 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ... and not have the next paragraph after the formula. That is the
> default. That is what I want. However, on occasion, "sometimes" I do
> want to indent the next paragraph after a formula. My question is,
> how to override the default behavior "on occasion." That is, every
> "rare once in a while," how do I indent a paragraph after a formula.

Not sure if this is the best way, but \indentation at the beginning of
the paragraph will force the indent.  Using your example:

\placeformula[-]
\startformula
    4(4\sqrt3)
    =16\sqrt3.
\stopformula

\indentation By induction, we can argue that that
the associative and commutative properties will
allows us to group and arrange the product of more
than three numbers in any order that we please.

-joshua

* Re: Force an indent
@ 2006-02-20 19:30           ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-02-20 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aha!

Easy. Thanks.

On Feb 20, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Joshua Ellis wrote:

> > ... and not have the next paragraph after the formula. That is the
> > default. That is what I want. However, on occasion, "sometimes" I do
> > want to indent the next paragraph after a formula. My question is,
> > how to override the default behavior "on occasion." That is, every
> > "rare once in a while," how do I indent a paragraph after a formula.
>

> Not sure if this is the best way, but \indentation at the beginning of
> the paragraph will force the indent.  Using your example:
>
> \placeformula[-]
> \startformula
>     4(4\sqrt3)
>     =16\sqrt3.
> \stopformula
>
> \indentation By induction, we can argue that that
> the associative and commutative properties will
> allows us to group and arrange the product of more
> than three numbers in any order that we please.
>
> -joshua

* Re: Force an indent
@ 2006-02-20 19:41         ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2006-02-20 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

[someone else beat me to the punch.]

(\indentation instead of \indent)
That's not the most obvious choice of command name, but it works, eh?.
To protect yourself, you could add more "logical" markup and say
something like this in your environment:

\let\NewPar\indentation

and then mark all paragraphs to be indented with that \NewPar.

adam

> On Feb 20, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> David Arnold wrote:
>>> OK,
>>>
>>> But this gives the same result. No indent.
>> [ok]
>>
>>> How can I get that paragraph after the placeformula to indent?
>>    \setupindenting[medium,yes]
>>    \setupformulas[indentnext=yes]
>>    %\setupfloats[indentnext=yes] % maybe desired as well?
>>
>> I just discovered that only this
>>
>>    \setupindenting[medium,always]
>>
>> doesn't work either, and that is a bit counterintuitive.
>>
>> Cheers, Taco

  Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
  Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
  Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: Force an indent
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-02-20 20:08         ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2006-02-20 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

[I realised this other part of my draft answer would be good for the
archive:]

David Arnold wrote:

> I do not want to do this:
>
> \setupformulas[indentnext=auto]

> Because that has the effect that paragraphs following formulae are
> always indented. I don't want that. I want to be able to type the
> source like this ...

(not always, in the "auto" case)

> \setupwhitespace[medium]
>
> \setupindenting[medium,yes]
>
> \starttext
>
> Again, we choose to multiply the fours, then the result by the square
> root of three. That is,
>
> \placeformula[-]
> \startformula
>    4(4\sqrt3)
>    =16\sqrt3.
> \stopformula
>
> By induction, we can argue that that the associative and commutative
> properties will allows us to group and arrange the product of more
> than three numbers in any order that we please.
>
> \stoptext

Although it doesn't really apply to you, because of the spaced-out
nature of your source files, this will help someone out. If you have
indentnext=auto set for formulae (or verbatim or itemize), then you have
no indent if there's no blank line between the formula and the text. If
there is a blank line, then there's a normal indent.

In the example, watch what happens after the two \stopformula s:

\setupindenting[medium,yes]
\setupformulas[indentnext=auto]
\starttext

\input ward
You will find that

\startformula
2+2=5
\stopformula % no blank line
for very large values of two.
\input dawkins
However, traditionalists maintain that

\startformula
2+2=4
\stopformula % extra blank line

Moving on, we find...
\input tufte

\stoptext

(pardon the extra test text. The bits that I wrote didn't make the
example clear enough when typeset.)