* TeX capcity excedeed with metafun
@ 2006-03-12 10:19 andrea valle
From: andrea valle @ 2006-03-12 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi to all,

I'm plotting 10,000 little squares thus exceeding TeX capacity. I was
going to modify context.cnf (everything works with 5,000 squares).

In particular, I'm  on macosx 10.3 with Gerben's distro. I am editing
this file:
  /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/context.cnf

1. is it correct?
2. Above all, I'am obtaining:
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=8000000].

Here's the log:

If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
  1108 strings out of 60272
  18484 string characters out of 602115
  8000001 words of memory out of 8000000
  38234 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+50000
  75018 words of font info for 37 fonts, out of 2000000 for 2000
  192 hyphenation exceptions out of 5000
  36i,2n,31p,223b,477s stack positions out of
5000i,500n,6000p,200000b,40000s
PDF statistics:
  0 PDF objects out of 300000
  0 named destinations out of 131072
  1 words of extra memory for PDF output out of 10000
No pages of output.

But in context.cnf I have:
main_memory.context      = 2000000
main_memory.mpost        = 3000000
main_memory.metafun      = 3000000

Now, I added one 0 to all these params, thus decuplicating the values,
but nothing changes.

?

Many thanks as usual for any hints

Best

-a-

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino
http://www.semiotiche.it/andrea
andrea.valle@unito.it

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded with metafun
@ 2006-03-12 10:40 ` andrea valle
From: andrea valle @ 2006-03-12 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now, as far as I understand it seems that I have to edit texmf.cnf.

In any case, I do not know in which way...

Thanks!

-a-

@ 2006-03-12 19:03   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-03-12 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

andrea valle wrote:
> Now, as far as I understand it seems that I have to edit texmf.cnf.
>
> In any case, I do not know in which way...
>

> Thanks!
>
> -a-
>

> On 12 Mar 2006, at 11:19, andrea valle wrote:
>

>> Hi to all,
>>
>> I'm plotting 10,000 little squares thus exceeding TeX capacity. I was
>> going to modify context.cnf (everything works with 5,000 squares).
>>

>> In particular, I'm  on macosx 10.3 with Gerben's distro. I am editing
>> this file:
>>   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/context.cnf
>>
>> 1. is it correct?
>> 2. Above all, I'am obtaining:
>> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=8000000].
>>
>> Here's the log:
>>
>> If you really absolutely need more capacity,
>> you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.
>>

>> Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
>>   1108 strings out of 60272
>>   18484 string characters out of 602115
>>   8000001 words of memory out of 8000000
>>   38234 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+50000
>>   75018 words of font info for 37 fonts, out of 2000000 for 2000
>>   192 hyphenation exceptions out of 5000
>>   36i,2n,31p,223b,477s stack positions out of
>> 5000i,500n,6000p,200000b,40000s
>> PDF statistics:
>>   0 PDF objects out of 300000
>>   0 named destinations out of 131072
>>   1 words of extra memory for PDF output out of 10000
>> No pages of output.
>>

>> But in context.cnf I have:
>> main_memory.context      = 2000000
>> main_memory.mpost        = 3000000
>> main_memory.metafun      = 3000000
>>
>> Now, I added one 0 to all these params, thus decuplicating the values,
>> but nothing changes.

did you regenerate the formats?

(btw adding a 0 will not work, duplicating may)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-03-12 20:48     ` andrea valle
From: andrea valle @ 2006-03-12 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans

So:
1. If I understand, I have to edit context.cnf, right?
2. It may work, but non necessarily. It is thus possible that I cannot
solve definitively the problem. How do I choose a clever number to set?
3. Ehm... No, I haven't regenerated the format. How can I do it?

Thanks

Best
-a-

@ 2006-03-12 22:51       ` andrea valle
From: andrea valle @ 2006-03-12 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I edited the file doubling the 3 values

>> did you regenerate the formats?

Then I ran:

texexec --make

(right?)

But nothing changed

Best

-a-

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded with metafun
@ 2006-03-13  8:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-03-13  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

andrea valle wrote:
> Thanks Hans
>
> So:
> 1. If I understand, I have to edit context.cnf, right?

no, texmf.cnf ; context.tmf is an example of what i use here; (you can
try copying context.fmf to you texmf-local/web2c path)

> 2. It may work, but non necessarily. It is thus possible that I cannot
> solve definitively the problem. How do I choose a clever number to set?

locate the texmf,cnf files used and just change the numbers; going from
2 meg to 4 meg is no problem, but in your case of adding a zero, going
to 20 meg is more that tex can offer
> 3. Ehm... No, I haven't regenerated the format. How can I do it?

texexec --make --all

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-03-13 21:52         ` andrea valle
From: andrea valle @ 2006-03-13 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans,
I made some tweaking with values (quasi-randomly...).
Console is extremely slow in processing the file including the
MPGraphic (I thought many times it hanged, then letting it run without
looking I discovered some minutes after that it was still working).
Looking at the the terminal (from TeXShop), it seemed that the process
was not finished, so I killed it, but the pdf is complete.
In any case now I have my drawing of 10,000 squares.

Best and thanks a lot

-a-

PS:
Here you have my algorithmic hommage à Boetti
(http://www.artfacts.net/index.php/pageType/exhibitionInfo/exhibition/
5797/lang/3):
http://www.semiotiche.it/andrea/membrana/alternando.pdf

@ 2006-03-14 18:19           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-03-14 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

andrea valle wrote:
> Console is extremely slow in processing the file including the

that is an os issue (maybe choose another font for your console)

i have no speed problems on the windows and linux boxes

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE