* figure placement
@ 2006-03-14 11:09 M.guravage
From: M.guravage @ 2006-03-14 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am typesetting a small book and have run into two difficulties placing
figures, which are constrained to even, i.e. left hand, blank, pages.

The first place figures appear are opposite each new section. I coerce
this with the following commands:

\page[left]
\noheaderorfooter
\placefigure
\page
\section

This scheme works when the previous section ends on an odd page, but when
the section ends on an even page, \page[left] correctly inserts two blank
pages, but the first, instead of being blank, retains a \vrule\pagenumber
in the running head. It is little work to remove these artifacts with
Acrobat, but I prefer these headers were empty.

The second place figures appear is within sections. I use the same set of
commands, which places the figures where I wish, but each figure must be
placed precisely at the bottom of an odd page. This looks OK if the bottom
of the page coincides with the end of a paragraph, but otherwise the last
line is not flush right. I am looking for a solution that says, 'place
this figure on the next blank even page disturbing the text flow as little
as possible.' I have tried postponing, but without success.

The attached archive includes a test file, an empty graphic and the pdf
result. The ninth page shows the recalcitrant \vrule\pagenumber, and the
eleventh page shows the result of splicing a figure in mid-paragraph.

Any suggestions how to resolve these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael A. Guravage

[-- Attachment #2: test.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed, Size: 83251 bytes --]

* Re: figure placement
@ 2006-03-15  9:29 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-03-15  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

M.guravage wrote:

> This scheme works when the previous section ends on an odd page, but when
> the section ends on an even page, \page[left] correctly inserts two blank

I often have a set of macros that does a soemthing like this:

   \def\leftpage
     {\page \ifodd\pagenumber \noheaderandfooter~\page \fi}
   \def\rightpage
     {\page \ifodd\pagenumber \else \noheaderandfooter~\page \fi}

does that help?

> The second place figures appear is within sections. I use the same set of
> commands, which places the figures where I wish, but each figure must be
> placed precisely at the bottom of an odd page. This looks OK if the bottom
> of the page coincides with the end of a paragraph, but otherwise the last
> line is not flush right. I am looking for a solution that says, 'place
> this figure on the next blank even page disturbing the text flow as little
> as possible.' I have tried postponing, but without success.

Have you tried putting the figure in a footnote yet?

Cheers, Taco

* Re: figure placement
@ 2008-09-29 20:44           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-29 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jelle Huisman wrote:

>>> Please make a example because this works for me:
>
> I solved my immediate problem by using a separate layout with a slightly
> bigger text area: the image doesn't float to the next page any longer.
> I'm still curious to know what went wrong, but since my setup is rather
> complicated I need some time to make a good minimal example. (I'll put
> it on my to do list...)

when a float does not fit it's pushed on a stack, and due to the way we
flush it may end up later in the order (esp when a next float does fit
on the page); in that case context will renumber the floats

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: figure placement
@ 2008-09-29 10:59         ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2008-09-29 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jelle Huisman wrote:
>>> When I try to do something with \placefigure I get a "floatblocks :
>>> order disturbed" error and no figure placed.
>>>

>> Please make a example because this works for me:

I solved my immediate problem by using a separate layout with a slightly
bigger text area: the image doesn't float to the next page any longer.
I'm still curious to know what went wrong, but since my setup is rather
complicated I need some time to make a good minimal example. (I'll put
it on my to do list...)

Thanks,

Jelle

* Re: figure placement
@ 2008-09-27  9:44       ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2008-09-27  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Is there a way to do this [force] with \externalfigure in a macro
>> def like:
>>
>> \def\picturefile #1#2#3{{\rotate[rotation=#1]{\externalfigure[#2]
>> [width=#3mm]}}}
>>
>> When I try to do something with \placefigure I get a "floatblocks :
>> order disturbed" error and no figure placed.
>>

> Please make a example because this works for me:

Sorry no time now, but I'll try to make an example on Monday.

Thanks,

Jelle

* Re: figure placement
@ 2008-09-27  8:51     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-27  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.09.2008 um 18:01 schrieb Jelle Huisman:

> Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> I try to get a picture on a page using
>>> \externalfigure[name.pdf][width=\textwidth] The image is pushed to
>>> the
>>> height of the image itself is smaller then \textheight, so it should
>>> fit. How do I force image placement *here*?
>>>
>> \placefigure[force]{}{}
>>

> Hi Hans,
>
> Is there a way to do this [force] with \externalfigure in a macro
> def like:
>
> \def\picturefile #1#2#3{{\rotate[rotation=#1]{\externalfigure[#2]
> [width=#3mm]}}}
>
> When I try to do something with \placefigure I get a "floatblocks :
> order disturbed" error and no figure placed.

Please make a example because this works for me:

\setupexternalfigures[location=default]

\define[3]\picturefile
   {\placefigure[force]{none}{\externalfigure[#2]
[width=#3mm,orientation=#1]}}

\starttext

\input knuth

\picturefile{0}{cow}{100}

\picturefile{180}{cow}{100}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: figure placement
@ 2008-09-26 16:01   ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2008-09-26 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

#1#2#3{{\rotate[rotation=#1]{\externalfigure[#2][width=#3mm]}}}

When I try to do something with \placefigure I get a "floatblocks :
order disturbed" error and no figure placed.

Thanks again,

Jelle

* Re: figure placement
@ 2008-09-26 15:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-26 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jelle Huisman wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I try to get a picture on a page using
> \externalfigure[name.pdf][width=\textwidth] The image is pushed to the
> height of the image itself is smaller then \textheight, so it should
> fit. How do I force image placement *here*?

\placefigure[force]{}{}

sometimes adding always helps (here,always) or fixed

all have their pro/cons

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* figure placement