* Installation: TeX-Live
@ 2006-03-20  0:03 Jeffrey Drake
From: Jeffrey Drake @ 2006-03-20  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

i resolved my problem before about accessing the wiki by making a copy
of everything while at a friends house. So any information leading to
a conclusion is at least a week old.

I am on a linux install (SuSE 10.0) and the wiki indicates to install
ConTeXt in the location '/usr/TeX/texmf'.

Even before this step it says to setup the fonts for ConTeXt use:
cd /usr/TeX/texmf/context/data
sudo texfont type-tmf.dat --en=texnansi --fontroot=/usr/TeX/texmf
--install --makepath

But TeXLive 2005 (where I did install ConTeXt - but want to update it)
that I am using does not have a 'texmf/context' directory. However,
there is a 'texmf-dist/context' directory.

I need some guidance to make sure this is the proper directory or not.

The only other thing I note in the TeXLive docs:
For texmf:
This tree (texmf) is for the support files and documentation of the
programs in TeX Live.  It does not include the TeX formats and packages
themselves.

Another criteria: everything that can be classified automatically by
Fabrice's tpm-factory goes in texmf-dist.  If not, it goes in texmf.

For texmf-dist:
This tree (texmf-dist) is for the formats (plain, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and
all the rest) and all the packages, together with their documentation
and sources.  Most everything used in day-to-day TeXing, except the
binaries themselves.

Another criteria: everything that can be classified automatically by
Fabrice's tpm-factory goes in texmf-dist (or texmf-doc).  If not, it
goes in texmf.

And yet another: texmf-dist should be distribution-independent, so that,
in theory, it could be used by distributions other than TeX Live.  So,
no web2c/kpathsea-specific files.

Thank you for all assistance,
Jeffrey Drake

* Re: Installation: TeX-Live
@ 2006-03-20  9:38 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-03-20  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jeffrey,

Jeffrey Drake wrote:
> But TeXLive 2005 (where I did install ConTeXt - but want to update it)
> that I am using does not have a 'texmf/context' directory. However,
> there is a 'texmf-dist/context' directory.

The best is to use texmf-local. That directory should be next to the
other texmf-<something> ones.

For TeXLive 2005, i think it should be as simple as unzipping followed
by texexec --make --all'.

Cheers, taco