From: Ulf Martin <ulfmartin@web.de>
Subject: crossref in bibtex
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:50:39 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear ConText Users

Being an age-old LaTeX user I thought I should give ConText a try.
But then I stumbled over the first problem when trying to use BibTeX:
Crossrefs don't seem to work properly.
- the work that uses a crossref is listed incompletely
   in the publication list
- the crossref'd work itself isn't included at all.

I haven't found a solution on the web.

   * * *

Details.

I have a source file (cut for the relevant parts):

-- start of content.tex --

\environment mainsetup
\version[concept]

\starttext

Es wird eine \quotation{Übersichtliche Darstellung} angestrebt (vgl.
\cite[wittgenstein-1997-philosophische-untersuchungen]\ §~132, S.~304f.).

\completepublications

\stoptext

-- end of content.tex --

The setup file is in the directory above (for use in multiple docs, as
suggested in the ConText documentation):

-- start of mainsetup.tex --

\enableregime[utf]

\usemodule[bib]
\setuppublications[alternative=aps]
\setuppublications[sorttype=bbl]
\setupbibtex
  [database={~/Textsammlung/Central},
   sort=author]
\setupheadtext[de][pubs=Literatur]

\startenvironment mainsetup

\setupbodyfont[11pt]
\mainlanguage[de]

\stopenvironment

-- end of mainsetup.tex --

The relevant part of the Central.bib is this (in this order, BibTeX
expexts uses of crossrefs to appear before the resp. crossref'd entry):

-- start of Central.bib --

@STRING{cy-fm = "Frankfurt (Main)"}
@STRING{pb-skp = "Suhrkamp"}
@STRING{wittgenstein = "Wittgenstein, Ludwig"}

@incollection{wittgenstein-1997-philosophische-untersuchungen,
   Crossref =	 {wittgenstein-1984-werkausgabe},
   Edition =	 11,
   Note =	 {Text neu durchgesehen von Joachim Schulte},
   Pages =        {225-580},
   Title =	 {Philosophische Untersuchungen},
   Volume =	 1,
   Year =	 1997
}

@book{wittgenstein-1984-werkausgabe,
   Address =	 cy-fm,
   Author =	 wittgenstein,
   Booktitle =	 {Werkausgabe},
   Isbn =	 3518099884,
   Publisher =	 pb-skp,
   Title =	 {Werkausgabe},
   Year =	 1984
}

-- end of Central.bib --

The PDF output file after
% texexec --pdf content
% bibtext content
% texexec --pdf content

yields something like (characters may be distrupted due to conversion
from UTF-8):

-- start of content.pdf rendered as plain text --

Es wird eine "Übersichtliche Darstellung" der relevanten Begriffe
angestrebt (vgl. [1] § 132, S. 304f.).

Literatur

1 L. WittgensteinIn [??], p. 225-580. Text neu durchgesehen von Joachim
Schulte.

-- end of context.pdf --

A hint to the solution for an expert could be the bbl file. Note that
the order of the entries is turned around:

-- start of content.bbl --

\startpublication[k=wittgenstein-1984-werkausgabe,t=book,
a={Wittgenstein},y=1984,
n=141,s=Wit84]
\author[]{Ludwig}[L.]{}{Wittgenstein}
\pubyear{1984}
\title{Werkausgabe}
\isbn{3518099884}
\city{Frankfurt (Main)}
\pubname{Suhrkamp}
\stoppublication

\startpublication[k=wittgenstein-1997-philosophische-untersuchungen,t=incollec%
tion,
a={Wittgenstein},y=1997,
n=140,s=Wit97]
\artauthor[]{Ludwig}[L.]{}{Wittgenstein}
\pubyear{1997}
\arttitle{Philosophische untersuchungen}
\crossref{wittgenstein-1984-werkausgabe}
\pages{225-580}
\pages{225-580}
\pubname{Suhrkamp}
\note{Text neu durchgesehen von Joachim Schulte}
\stoppublication

-- end of content.bbl --

So:
- The reference as such is found correctly.
- The entry in the References has <note> and <pages>
- The crossreference is not properly processed.
(and, actually, multiple pages should produce "pp." not "p.")

It should be something like

1 L. Wittgenstein (1984) Werkausgabe. Frankfurt (Main): Suhrkamp.
2 L. Wittgenstein (1997) Philosophische Untersuchungen. In [1], Bd. 1,
S. 225-580. Text neu durchgesehen von Joachim Schulte.

(If ordered by author first, then year. Note also that in \language[de]
"vol." should be "Bd." and "p." be "S.".)

Coding for all files is UTF-8, things works as it they should in LaTeX.

Any ideas of what to do or hints where to find more info?

   * * *

Additional question: what is the best way to generate the bbl file in
the project directory? (I use "Central.bib" for all my documents).

Using

% texexec mainsetup

in the projects directory produces many unnecessary files (e.g. a dvi
file) as it is only meant as a setup file.

   * * *

I general, I like ConText. Strangely, it plays well with my mindset, as
does the whole layout orientation with my taste.

However, proper bibliography processing is a "killer feature" for me --
I have virtually no document whithout references. (I wonder, what the
direction of the ConText development here is; arguably, odd old BibTeX
has reached an end of its history and support for more modern and
complete, e.g. XML-based formats would be preferable (say, MODS) --
considering the seeminly nice XML support that is already there.)

Cheers & Thanks in advance!
Ulf Martin