* Quotations
@ 2006-03-31 14:06 Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2006-03-31 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use \startquotation and \stopquotation a lot. I would like to
visually strengthen the quotations because some are pretty lengthy
and a reader might forget that it is not me that is writing here. I
have been thinking about applying a light grey background or a border
of sorts (which should then be open at the top of bottom if the
quotation flows over a page boundary. Can someone tell me how to do
this?

Thanks,

* Re: Quotations
@ 2006-03-31 16:38 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-03-31 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda wrote:
> I use \startquotation and \stopquotation a lot. I would like to
> visually strengthen the quotations because some are pretty lengthy
> and a reader might forget that it is not me that is writing here. I
> have been thinking about applying a light grey background or a border
> of sorts (which should then be open at the top of bottom if the
> quotation flows over a page boundary. Can someone tell me how to do
> this?

the following example (maybe one of the happy gwtex users can wikify it for you) shows the principles

- cross page backgrounds
- dedicated background graphics that adapt
- a bit of tuning of margins

\starttext

\setupcolors[state=start]

\defineblank[myquotation][3*medium]

\definetextbackground
  [myquotation]
  [state=start,
   location=paragraph,
%    before={\blank[myquotation]\startnarrower},
%    after={\stopnarrower\blank[myquotation]},
   before={\blank[myquotation]},
   after={\blank[myquotation]},
   mp=mpos:par:poem]

\startuseMPgraphic{mpos:par:poem}
  for i = 1 upto nofmultipars :
    multipars[i] := multipars[i]
        enlarged .5ExHeight
        rightenlarged -.5ExHeight;
    drawoptions (
        dashed evenly
        withpen pencircle scaled 1.5pt
    ) ;
    fill multipars[i] withcolor .8white ;
    if multilocs[i] = 1 :
        draw
            llcorner multipars[i] --
            ulcorner multipars[i] --
            urcorner multipars[i] --
            lrcorner multipars[i]
            withcolor .5red ;
    elseif multilocs[i] = 3 :
        draw
            ulcorner multipars[i] --
            llcorner multipars[i] --
            lrcorner multipars[i] --
            urcorner multipars[i]
            withcolor .5red ;
    else :
        draw leftboundary  multipars[i] withcolor .5red ;
        draw rightboundary multipars[i] withcolor .5red ;
    fi ;
  endfor ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\setupdelimitedtext
  [quotation]
  [leftmargin=.5em,
   rightmargin=.5em,
   before={\starttextbackground[myquotation]},
   after=\stoptextbackground]

\starttext

\input tufte

\startquotation
\dorecurse{10}{\input zapf }
\stopquotation

\input davis

\stoptext

\unprotect

\def\geneq
  {\begingroup
   \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{$=$}%
   \hbox to \wd\scratchbox
     {\copy\scratchbox
      \hskip-\wd\scratchbox
      \hss\incolortrue\localcolortrue\color[white]{\vrule height .6\ht\scratchbox depth 0pt width .1ex}\hss}%
   \endgroup}

\geneq

\stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Quotations...
@ 2011-11-15 13:41 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-11-15 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-Context ConTeXt users

it looks like there is something wrong with \quote, \quotation and the respective setupcommands.

\setupquote[style=slanted] results in no quotation marks and yes, slanted text.
\setupquote[left=(,right=)] results in text between parentheses.
\setupquote[style=slanted,left=(,right=)] results in slanted text, but no parentheses.

\setupquotation[style=bold] results in having the texts in \quote{} becoming bold instead of the texts that are in \quotation{}.

\setupdelimitedtext [quotation][1][style=bold] does not result in bold text.
\setupdelimitedtext [quotation][1][style=bold,left{[},right={]}] does result in text between brackets in \quotation{}, but no bold text.

Please refer to the attached example file.

Kind regards

Willi

[-- Attachment #2: test-quotation.tex --]

% Context file
% Filename: untitled.tex
%
% 15-11-2011
% Copyright (c) 2011 BOEDE. All rights reserved.
%
% \nopdfcompression
% \enabletrackers[context.trace]
% \enabletrackers[system.jobfiles]

\setuppagenumbering[location=bottom]
\setuplayout
	[topspace=2.5cm,
	backspace=1.5cm,
	header=0pt,
	footer=1.5\bodyfontsize,
	height=middle,
	width=middle]
\mainlanguage[nl]

% \setupquote
%    [left=(,right=)]
% \setupquote
%    [style=slanted]
% \setupquote
%     [style=slanted,left=(,right=)]

% \setupquotation
%     [style=\bfa]
%
% \setupdelimitedtext
%    [quotation]
%    [1]
%    [style=bold]

\setupdelimitedtext
   [quotation]
   [1]
   [style=bold,
   left={[},right={]}]

\starttext
\quote{a simple quote}
\blank
\quotation{another simple quote}
\blank
\quotation{a nested quote \quote{the nested part} the part after the nesting}
\blank
\startquotation
   \input ward
\stopquotation

\stoptext

* Re: quotations
@ 2002-12-02 14:45       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-02 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:04 AM 12/2/2002 -0500, you wrote:

My point is that, in my experience, long set off quotations (block quotes)
do not have quotation marks.  They are, however, still "quotes."

so, then you would need something

\definedelimitedtext[longquote][blockquote]
\setupdelimitedtext[longquote][left=,right=]

and use

\startlongquote
\stoplongquote

so: longquote would inherit from blockquote except the symbols

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: quotations
@ 2002-12-02 14:04     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-02 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 06:44 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> I'm not really sure honestly, but it seems this is what I was asking
>> for to be the default behavior, and which is in most places (LaTeX,
>> HTML, DocBook, Word, etc.) called "blockquote."
>
> so, do we choose blockquote as name for the display quotation with no
> whitespace around it?

I was throwing it out there for comment from others.  My point is that
there should be a clear analog to the blockquote structures as they
work in other systems here.  It makes it easier for me as a user, and
also easier to map code from DocBook and so forth to ConTeXt, and vice
versa (relevant if we see a ConTeXt --> HTML converter).

But, I can also say that it is not uncommon for me to be confused by
ConTeXt naming schemes, so maybe I just don't get a logic that is there
but I just don't always see.

>> So here I can turn off the symbols?
>
> yes, and a bit more (although for non-quotes things startnarrower may
> be a better solution)

My point is that, in my experience, long set off quotations (block
quotes) do not have quotation marks.  They are, however, still "quotes."

Bruce

* Re: quotations
@ 2002-12-02 11:44   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-02 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-12-02  0:03 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-02  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 07:08 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> I'll look into the epigraph (module) later...

Along with meta info structures (of relevance to all documents) like
subtitle, abstract, author, etc.?

And is there any reason not to just incorporate xdesc into the core to
get epigraphs and so forth?  If Giuseppe is right, beyond getting
epigraph support, this also might (?) make Taco's life easier
implementing m-bib v2.

Bruce

* Re: quotations
@ 2002-12-01  0:42 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-01  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 07:08 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Now, how do we call an tight quotation that those heavy quoting users
> want?
>
> \definedelimitedtext
>    [xquotation][quotation]
>
> \setupdelimitedtext
>   [xquotation]
>   [indentnext=no,
>    spacebefore=nowhite]

I'm not really sure honestly, but it seems this is what I was asking
for to be the default behavior, and which is in most places (LaTeX,
HTML, DocBook, Word, etc.) called "blockquote."

So here I can turn off the symbols?

Bruce

* quotations
@ 2002-12-01  0:08 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-01  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Since quotations keep coming up on this list, and since i had a couple of
new cd's to help me through the process of cooking up macros, i made an
definable quotation macros, or more precise, something:

\definedelimitedtext
   [quotation]
   [left={\symbol[leftquotation]},
    right={\symbol[rightquotation]},
    leftmargin=standard]

\definedelimitedtext
   [quote][quotation]

\setupdelimitedtext
   [quotation]
   [location=text,
    left={\symbol[leftquote]},
    right={\symbol[rightquote]}]

and for Mr. BigFoot:

\definedelimitedtext
   [speech][quotation]

\setupdelimitedtext
   [\v!spraak]
   [repeat=yes,
    left={\symbol[leftspeech]},
    middle={\symbol[middlespeech]},
    right={\symbol[rightspeech]}]

Now, how do we call an tight quotation that those heavy quoting users want?

\definedelimitedtext
    [xquotation][quotation]

\setupdelimitedtext
   [xquotation]
   [indentnext=no,
    spacebefore=nowhite]

(there are a couple of more switches)

this mechanism will be available in the next beta, but the re-definitions
not yet (first i want to make sure that it worsk ok)

one can also use this feature for things like [whatever you want to be
delimited]

Hans

I'll look into the epigraph (module) later (never needed them so far)
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl