* Different pagebreaks for component and whole document
@ 2006-04-02  6:00 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-04-02  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
  I have run into a strange kind of a problem and I am not sure on how
to debug to figure out what is going wrong. Maybe someone with more
experience with context can help me here.

I have the following document structure

project: main.tex
environment:env_main.tex
products: assignments.tex
           handouts.tex

project: assignments.tex
components:assignment-01.tex
            assignment-02.tex
  and so on

project: handouts.tex
component: handout-01.tex
            handout-02.tex
and so on.

Each component starts with \title which does a page break. There are
no local setups in any component. I expected that each component will
be typed out in the same manner, whether I compile the a component,
a product or the entire project. It turns out this is not the case.

The first page of handout-01.tex is different when I compile the
project (main.tex). The pagebreak is set at a different place and I
get ugly page break at the end. If I compile handouts.tex or
handout-01.tex, the page breaks are same and there is no ugly
pagebreak at the end.

Is it possible that such a behaviour is due to the length of the
document. main.pdf is 105 pages long, while handout-01.pdf is 4 pages
and handouts.pdf is 14 pages. It seems that due to the large length of
main.pdf, context is not trying hard enough to get good page break.
Even a manual \page[disable] does not prevent the ugly pagebreak for
main.tex.

I am totally confused by this behaviour. Any explainations or
suggestions?

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008

* Re: Different pagebreaks for component and whole document
@ 2006-04-03  8:30 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-04-03  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Each component starts with \title which does a page break. There are
> no local setups in any component. I expected that each component will
> be typed out in the same manner, whether I compile the a component,
> a product or the entire project.

The fact that the page breaks are different indicates an
imperfection somewhere in the internal macro definitions
for \startproject c.s., and is definately not related to
the length of your document.

But, since you are not really supposed to compile the project
file in the first place, fixing this will be very low on the
list of to-be-fixed problems, I wager. The manual is not as
clear on that as it could be (I suppose), but you are definately
not expected to be compiling project definition files.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Different pagebreaks for component and whole document
@ 2006-04-03  9:01 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-03  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have run into a strange kind of a problem and I am not sure on how
> to debug to figure out what is going wrong. Maybe someone with more
> experience with context can help me here.
>
> I have the following document structure
>
> project: main.tex
> environment:env_main.tex
> products: assignments.tex
>            handouts.tex
>
> project: assignments.tex
> components:assignment-01.tex
>             assignment-02.tex
>   and so on
>
> project: handouts.tex
> component: handout-01.tex
>             handout-02.tex
> and so on.
>
> Each component starts with \title which does a page break. There are
> no local setups in any component. I expected that each component will
> be typed out in the same manner, whether I compile the a component,
> a product or the entire project. It turns out this is not the case.
>
> The first page of handout-01.tex is different when I compile the
> project (main.tex). The pagebreak is set at a different place and I
> get ugly page break at the end. If I compile handouts.tex or
> handout-01.tex, the page breaks are same and there is no ugly
> pagebreak at the end.
>
> Is it possible that such a behaviour is due to the length of the
> document. main.pdf is 105 pages long, while handout-01.pdf is 4 pages
> and handouts.pdf is 14 pages. It seems that due to the large length of
> main.pdf, context is not trying hard enough to get good page break.
> Even a manual \page[disable] does not prevent the ugly pagebreak for
> main.tex.
>
> I am totally confused by this behaviour. Any explainations or
> suggestions?

it may be related to write nodes, marks etc that are flushed
differently; if you can make a minimal example ...

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-05  6:54   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-04-05  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> Each component starts with \title which does a page break. There are
>> no local setups in any component. I expected that each component will
>> be typed out in the same manner, whether I compile the a component,
>> a product or the entire project.
>
> The fact that the page breaks are different indicates an
> imperfection somewhere in the internal macro definitions
> for \startproject c.s., and is definately not related to
> the length of your document.
>
> But, since you are not really supposed to compile the project
> file in the first place, fixing this will be very low on the
> list of to-be-fixed problems, I wager. The manual is not as
> clear on that as it could be (I suppose), but you are definately
> not expected to be compiling project definition files.

Thanks. I will only compile the products and join then using
--pdfcombine. Each product has separate pagenumbering, so this will
work for my project as of now.

Hans, I will try to make a minimum example to illustrate the problem.

Thanks,
Aditya

--

@ 2006-04-08  1:50   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-04-08  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater

On 4/3/06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> But, since you are not really supposed to compile the project
> file in the first place

Why not / What's [so] wrong with that?

I (mis)use that mechanism for compiling either separate sections
versus the whole document. I miss the functionality of
cross-referencing, automatically numbering the pages & sections & so
on, but I'm aware that that's not trivial to achieve at all.

Mojca

* Re: Different pagebreaks for component and whole document
@ 2006-04-08  7:07     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-04-08  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 4/3/06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>But, since you are not really supposed to compile the project
>>file in the first place
>

> Why not / What's [so] wrong with that?

It is like putting the entire life's work of an author into
a single bound volume.

> I (mis)use that mechanism for compiling either separate sections
> versus the whole document. I miss the functionality of

Please use products and components for that. There may be
partial compilation support eventually, but only for that
level, no the upper one.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Different pagebreaks for component and whole document
@ 2006-04-08  8:59     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-08  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 4/3/06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> But, since you are not really supposed to compile the project
>> file in the first place
>>

> Why not / What's [so] wrong with that?

a project mentions products and environments

you run a product and/or components (of products); when you run them,
they will look for env info in the project file

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE