* Installation problem
@ 2006-04-08  2:12 Pavel Stupin
From: Pavel Stupin @ 2006-04-08  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt developers and users,

Please excuse me for bothering you with such a trivial question, but I
still would really appreciate your help.

I've downloaded the current ConTeXt version and generated the format
files. Now, when I try to invoke texexec to process a test file
("\starttext Test \stoptext") the script complains the following way:

***********************

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10a-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.4) (format=cont-en
2006.4.8)  8 APR 2006 10:50
entering extended mode
\write18 enabled.
  (/usr/share/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
**&cont-en test.tex
(./test.tex{/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2006.03.25 13:21  fmt: 2006.4.8  int: english  mes: english

systems         : pdfTeX version 110 -> please update

systems         : eTeX version 201 -> too old (bugs)

language        : language en is active

bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
! Font \*12ptrmtf*=ec-lmr12 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
<to be read again>

l.1
     \starttext
?
! Font \*7ptrmtf*=ec-lmr7 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
<to be read again>

************************************

Could you please advise me what I'm supposed to do to have the metric
files found and whether I must update my obsolete pdfTeX and eTeX to
handle the problem.

Also, I'm interested if Russian language is supported by ConTeXt "out of
the box" or not.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Pavel Stupin.

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2006-04-08  3:11 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-04-08  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/8/06, Pavel Stupin wrote:
> bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
> ! Font \*12ptrmtf*=ec-lmr12 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
> <to be read again>

To Hans: perhaps cont-lmt.zip should be put back to the page with
downloads? Perhaps even all font files present in the standalone
distribution? I think that many users were already asking for that.

> Could you please advise me what I'm supposed to do to have the metric
> files found and whether I must update my obsolete pdfTeX and eTeX to
> handle the problem.

Updating pdfTeX won't solve that concrete problem, but you might
encounter other problems. So - yes, you are warmly suggested to update
the whole distribution.

Read this carefully: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation

esp. the section with fonts. You have to install Latin Modern fonts:
    http://www.ctan.org/info?id=lm

> Also, I'm interested if Russian language is supported by ConTeXt "out of
> the box" or not.

It is, but you have to have some proper fonts installed.
Antykwa-torunska, iwona and kurier have cyrillic glyphs and ship with
minimal context distribution on Pragma's website. There are surely
many other fonts like cm-super, different postscript fonts, ...

It might be that you will have to add some font definitions first, but
I think that people are ready to help you with that.

I'm attaching an example for writing in Russian, but you'll have to
install proper fonts before you'll be able to compile the sample file
(http://www.janusz.nowacki.strefa.pl/torunska.html in that case). I'm
using that font just because I don't have any other cyrillich font
installed: you'll probably want to use some other font anyway. (Search
for file names *t2a*.tfm in your TeX tree.)

Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: russian.tex --]

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2006-04-08 11:50 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-08 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel Stupin wrote:
> Dear ConTeXt developers and users,
>
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10a-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.4) (format=cont-en
> 2006.4.8)  8 APR 2006 10:50
> entering extended mode
> \write18 enabled.
>   (/usr/share/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
> **&cont-en test.tex
> (./test.tex{/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2006.03.25 13:21  fmt: 2006.4.8  int: english  mes: english
>
> systems         : pdfTeX version 110 -> please update
>
> systems         : eTeX version 201 -> too old (bugs)
>
> language        : language en is active

> bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
> ! Font \*12ptrmtf*=ec-lmr12 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
> <to be read again>

> l.1
>      \starttext
> ?
> ! Font \*7ptrmtf*=ec-lmr7 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
> <to be read again>

> ************************************
>

> Could you please advise me what I'm supposed to do to have the metric
> files found and whether I must update my obsolete pdfTeX and eTeX to
> handle the problem.

i think that you need to update tex tree: pdf(e)tex, fonts etc

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2006-05-26 10:50           ` gnwiii
From: gnwiii @ 2006-05-26 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/25/06, Neal Lester <neal@3dsafety.com> wrote:
> How I installed Context in /usr/local on Redhat EL WS v4 using BASH:
>
> Verify that the native RedHat version of tetex is not installed on
> your system; it is not compatible with Contex:

Actually, it is possible to have both without resorting to
virtualizaton, and tetex is required by other packages (to build
documentation).  TeX Live and the minimal ConTeXt you installed are
both structured so all the files are under a single top-level
directory (but, because some installs may put the files on a read-only
filesystem, some generated files may end up under the user's home
directory).  For TeX Live all you have to do is make sure the
bin/<arch> directory is before /usr/bin in the PATH, while the minimal
ConTeXt uses the variables set by "setuptex".  I use the  environment
modules package to switch between distros (e.g., Red Hat's teTeX when
building packages from .src.rpm's, TeX Live for my documents, and one
or more "test" distributions).

> George, taco, thank you for the help.

You are very welcome.  Not everyone is as persistent or willing to
provide adequate detail so they can be helped.

I'm sure that there are dozens of people who have encountered the
"unzip -a" problem in mktexlsr and either got around it without
reporting the problem or just gave up on ConTeXt.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2006-05-25 18:41   ` Neal Lester
From: Neal Lester @ 2006-05-25 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:15 AM 5/25/2006, you wrote:
> > TeXExec | processing document 'temp'
> > TeXExec | no ctx file found
> > TeXExec | nothing to process
> > TeXExec | runtime: 0.001625
>
>This means texexec cannot find "temp.tex".

The instructions I was reading (
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/general/manuals/minstall.pdf ) do not
mention the restriction on file name extension

Neal

* Re: Installation Problem
       [not found]       ` <22af238a0605250952y9a994fbnab1b342cfed31f06@mail.gmail.com >
@ 2006-05-25 18:39         ` Neal Lester
From: Neal Lester @ 2006-05-25 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:52 AM 5/25/2006, gnwiii@gmail.com wrote:
>When you run ". setuptex <your_texroot_path>" you should end up with
>
>TEXFORMATS='$TEXMFOS/web2c/{$engine,}'

Ouch!  I got bit by something left over from yesterdays failed
attempt.  Fixing that, everything is working.  In Summary:

How I installed Context in /usr/local on Redhat EL WS v4 using BASH:

Verify that the native RedHat version of tetex is not installed on
your system; it is not compatible with Contex:

rpm -q tetex
rpm -q tetex-afm
rpm -q tetex-doc
rpm -q tetex-dvilj
rpm -q tetex-dvips
rpm -q tetex-fonts
rpm -q tetex-latex
rpm -q tetex-xdvi

If any of these packages are installed use rpm -e package-name to erase them.

download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/install/justtex.zip
download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/install/linuxtex.zip
move both files to /usr/local
cd /usr/local
unzip justtex.zip
unzip linuxtex.zip
cd tex
chmod +x setuptex (may not be necessary)
./setuptex /usr/local/tex (may want to add to .bash_profile or save
the script as /etc/profile.d/setuptex.sh and hard coding the value of
TEXROOT in the script.)
mkdir $VARTEXMF
cd texmf
download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
mv cont-tmp.zip to the current directory ($TEXROOT/texmf)
unzip -o cont-tmf.zip
cd $TEXMFOS/bin
chmod +x *
chmod -x xpdfsuite.zip
cd $TEXROOT
texexec --make en de nl
texexec --make metafun

@ 2006-05-25 16:58   ` gnwiii
From: gnwiii @ 2006-05-25 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/25/06, gnwiii@gmail.com <gnwiii@gmail.com> wrote:

> The '-a' option shouldn't hurt.  I don't see any files flagged as "text"
> in the archives.

Hmm.  I expected a 't' in the 'unzip -l' or 'unzip -lv', but clearly
unzip -a thinks mktexlsr is a text file and (since it is run on linux)
is deleting the '^M' characters.

--

@ 2006-05-25 16:52     ` gnwiii
       [not found]       ` <22af238a0605250952y9a994fbnab1b342cfed31f06@mail.gmail.com >
From: gnwiii @ 2006-05-25 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/25/06, Neal Lester <neal@3dsafety.com> wrote:

> I renamed my input file to temp.tex.
>
> Now I get:
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-en.fmt
> mktexfmt: No such file or directory
> I can't find the format file `cont-en.fmt'
>
> The file cont-en.fmt is in
>
> texmf-linux/web2c/pdfetex
>
> I added the following line to texmf/context/config/texexec.ini
>
> TeXFormatPath     texmf-linux/web2c/pdfetex     fmt files

When you run ". setuptex <your_texroot_path>" you should end up with

TEXFORMATS='$TEXMFOS/web2c/{$engine,}'

If this is OK, then try "texexec --check" and "texexec --verbose test"
to see if you get some hints.

> That didn't help, so I copied texexec.ini to
>
> texmf-linux/bin
>
> but that didn't help either.

The kpsewhich utility is used to search the ls-R databases and can
also display the values of variables.  Unfortunately, the documentation
is probably not in the minimal configuration you have.  If you can
find another system with TeX, try "info kpsewhich".

--

@ 2006-05-25 16:51 ` gnwiii
From: gnwiii @ 2006-05-25 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/25/06, Neal Lester <neal@3dsafety.com> wrote:
> At 05:20 AM 5/25/2006, you wrote:
> >I don't get these sed errors using Fedora Core 4.  I suspect these come
> >from mktexlsr.  I have:
> >$ rpm -q sed
> >sed-4.1.4-1
> >$ sed --version
> >GNU sed version 4.1.4
> >$ which sed
> >/bin/sed
>
> The problem was in mktexlsr.  I am running sed 4.1.2, but that
> apparently wasn't the problem.  The problem was using the -a option
> to unzip.  When I refreshed mktexlsr from the archive without the -a
> option (inadvertently)  it worked fine.  So now

The '-a' option shouldn't hurt.  I don't see any files flagged as "text"
in the archives.

$ mv tex/texmf-linux/bin/mktexlsr tex/texmf-linux/bin/mktexlsr.orig
$ unzip -a linuxtex.zip tex/texmf-linux/bin/mktexlsr
Archive:  linuxtex.zip
  inflating: tex/texmf-linux/bin/mktexlsr  [text]
$ ls -l tex/texmf-linux/bin/mktexlsr tex/texmf-linux/bin/mktexlsr.orig
-rw-r--r--  1 gwhite bod 5310 May 18 15:15 tex/texmf-linux/bin/mktexlsr
-rwxr-xr-x  1 gwhite bod 5310 May 18 15:15 tex/texmf-linux/bin/mktexlsr.orig

so, permissions are lost, but:

$ diff tex/texmf-linux/bin/mktexlsr tex/texmf-linux/bin/mktexlsr.orig
115,118c115,116
<        && test "x`sed '1s/
< $//;1q' \"$db_file\"`" != "x$ls_R_magic" \
<        && test "x`sed '1s/
< $//;1q' \"$db_file\"`" != "x$old_ls_R_magic"; then
---
$//;1q' \"$db_file\"`" != "x$ls_R_magic" \
$//;1q' \"$db_file\"`" != "x$old_ls_R_magic"; then

an embedded ^M in a sed rule is being munged.  This should be changed
to use '\r' in place of '^M'.

> texexec --make en de nl
> texexec --make metafun
>
> Both seem to run fine (output attached in a separate post).
>
> But when I try
>
> texexec -pdf temp
>
> I get:
>
> TeXExec | processing document 'temp'

I see Taco has answered this.

--

@ 2006-05-25 15:48   ` Neal Lester
From: Neal Lester @ 2006-05-25 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:15 AM 5/25/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Neal,
>
>Neal Lester wrote:
> >
> > Both seem to run fine (output attached in a separate post).
>
>The output looked good. I am not going to approve the message for
>the list (not needed, and it is another 110Kb for people to d/l)
>
> > But when I try
> >
> > texexec -pdf temp
> >
> > I get:
> >
> > TeXExec | processing document 'temp'
> > TeXExec | no ctx file found
> > TeXExec | nothing to process
> > TeXExec | runtime: 0.001625
>
>This means texexec cannot find "temp.tex".
>
>Cheers, taco

taco,

I renamed my input file to temp.tex.

Now I get:

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-en.fmt
mktexfmt: No such file or directory
I can't find the format file `cont-en.fmt'

The file cont-en.fmt is in

texmf-linux/web2c/pdfetex

I added the following line to texmf/context/config/texexec.ini

TeXFormatPath     texmf-linux/web2c/pdfetex     fmt files

That didn't help, so I copied texexec.ini to

texmf-linux/bin

but that didn't help either.

Please let me know if you'd prefer I take this back on list (I will
anyway if I miss you, I'm in California so it's morning here).

Thanks, Neal

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2006-05-25 15:15 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-25 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Neal,

@ 2006-05-25 14:48 Neal Lester
From: Neal Lester @ 2006-05-25 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-05-25 12:20           ` gnwiii
From: gnwiii @ 2006-05-25 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/24/06, Neal Lester <neal@3dsafety.com> wrote:
> At 09:07 AM 5/24/2006, you wrote:
> >Hans mentioned the minimal context linux distribution.
>
> OK, I deleted everything I did yesterday and started over.  This time
> I (think) I tried the minimal contex distribution.  Things still
> aren't working.  I am on Redhat Enterprise Linux v4.  Thanks again
> for the help.
>
> - Neal
>
> Here is what I did today:
>
> download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/install/justtex.zip
> download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/install/linuxtex.zip
> move both files to /usr/local
> cd /usr/local
> unzip -a justtex.zip
> unzip -a linuxtex.zip
> Set up environment:
>
> export TEXROOT=/usr/local/tex
> [...]

What about just ". setuptex"?   Are you running a shell other than bash?

> create the directory specified by $VARTEXMF
> cd $TEXMFOS/bin
> chmod +x *

On my system the permissions look sensible without manual
adjustment.

> chmod -x xpdfsuite.zip
> download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
> mv cont-tmp.zip to $TEXROOT/texmf
> cd $TEXROOT/texmf
> unzip -ao cont-tmf.zip
> copy texmf/context/config/texexec.rme texexec.ini
>
> texexec --verbose
>
> Output:
>
> TeXExec | version 6.2.0 - 1997-2006 - PRAGMA ADE/POD
>
> TeXExec | --check        check versions
> TeXExec | --figures      generate overview of figures
> TeXExec | --listing      list of file content
> TeXExec | --make         make formats
> TeXExec | --modules      generate module documentation
> TeXExec | --mptex        process mp file
> TeXExec | --mpxtex       process mpx file
> TeXExec | --pdfarrange   impose pages (booklets)
> TeXExec | --pdfcombine   combine multiple pages
> TeXExec | --pdfcopy      copy pages from file(s)
> TeXExec | --pdfselect    select pages from file(s)
> TeXExec | --pdftrim      trim pages from file(s)
> TeXExec | --process      process file
> TeXExec |
> TeXExec | --help --all   shows all switches

Looks good so far.

> texexec --make en de nl
>
> Output:
>
> TeXExec | using search method 'kpsefast'
> TeXExec | updating file database
> sed: -e expression #1, char 3: unterminated `s' command
> sed: -e expression #1, char 3: unterminated `s' command

I don't get these sed errors using Fedora Core 4.  I suspect these come
from mktexlsr.  I have:
$ rpm -q sed
sed-4.1.4-1
$ sed --version
GNU sed version 4.1.4
$ which sed
/bin/sed

Try runing "mktexlsr" from the command line.

> mktexlsr: /usr/local/tex/texmf/ls-R lacks magic string. Skipping...
> mktexlsr: Done.
> TeXExec | using tex engine pdfetex
> TeXExec | using tex format path /usr/local/tex/texmf-linux/web2c/pdfetex
> TeXExec | generating tex format cont-en
> This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) (INITEX)
>   %&-line parsing enabled.
>   (/usr/local/tex/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
> entering extended mode
> ! I can't find file `cont-en'.
> <*> *cont-en
>
> Please type another input file name:
>
> I'm stuck because I can't find a file 'cont-en' either.

You should get:
$ kpsewhich cont-en
/usr/local/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex

Check for bug reports against your sed.

You could hack at mktexlsr to replace the sed lines with constants and see if
you get further.

--

       [not found]       ` <22af238a0605240907w2cf73504h3299e1bf6392de2c@mail.gmail.co m>
@ 2006-05-24 21:36         ` Neal Lester
From: Neal Lester @ 2006-05-24 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:07 AM 5/24/2006, you wrote:
>Hans mentioned the minimal context linux distribution.

OK, I deleted everything I did yesterday and started over.  This time
I (think) I tried the minimal contex distribution.  Things still
aren't working.  I am on Redhat Enterprise Linux v4.  Thanks again
for the help.

- Neal

Here is what I did today:

download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/install/justtex.zip
download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/install/linuxtex.zip
move both files to /usr/local
cd /usr/local
unzip -a justtex.zip
unzip -a linuxtex.zip
Set up environment:

export TEXROOT=/usr/local/tex
export TMP=/var/tmp
export TEXMFMAIN=$TEXROOT/texmf
export TEXMFLOCAL=$TEXROOT/texmf-local
export TEXMFFONTS=$TEXROOT/texmf-fonts
export TEXMFEXTRA=$TEXROOT/texmf-extra
export TEXMFPROJECT=$TEXROOT/texmf-project
export TEXMFOS=$TEXROOT/texmf-linux
export VARTEXMF=$TMP/texmf-var
export TEXARCH=i686 # the results of uname -m
export TEXUNIX=Linux # the results of uname -s
export PATH=$TEXMFOS/bin:$PATH
export HOMETEXMF=$HOME/Library/texmf
export TEXMFCNF=$TEXROOT/texmf/web2c
export TEXMF=$TEXMFMAIN
export TEXMFDBS=$TEXMF
export TEXFORMATS=$TEXMFOS/web2c
export MPMEMS=$TEXFORMATS
export TEXPOOL=$TEXFORMATS
export MPPOOL=$TEXPOOL
export RUBYLIB=$TEXMFLOCAL/scripts/context/ruby:$RUBYLIB
export CTXMINIMAL=yes

@ 2006-05-24 16:07     ` gnwiii
       [not found]       ` <22af238a0605240907w2cf73504h3299e1bf6392de2c@mail.gmail.co m>
From: gnwiii @ 2006-05-24 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/24/06, Neal Lester <neal@3dsafety.com> wrote:
> At 12:49 AM 5/24/2006, you wrote:
>

> >Neal Lester wrote:
> > > I am trying to verify my installation.
> > >
> > > When I try to run texexec against the test file given in the
> > > installation instructions I don't get a dvi or pdf file.  The output is:
> >
> >What instructions did you follow, precisely? I see some problems in
> >your output, but it will be easier to explain using those instructions.
>
> I followed the instructions at:
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl/general/manuals/minstall.pdf
>
> First I used the TeX that came with my Linux distribution (RedHat
> Enterprise Linux v4) but that didn't work (perhaps it was too
> old).  Then I installed teTeX ( http://www.tug.org/tetex/ ) which
> came with an old version of context that got in the way.  I removed
> that old version and installed the version from here (
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/current/cont-tmf.zip ).

The cont-tmf.zip archive doesn't (directly) update programs
(texmfstart, texexec, etc.)
Tetex's texexec is a script that runs perl on the result of 'kpsewhich
-format=texmfscripts texexec.pl'.  You need to make sure kpsewhich
finds the new texexec.pl.  You can also try the version I posted
recently that looks for the ruby scripts.

I like to keep context in a separate tree, texmf-cont, so it is easy
to see what files comes from cont-tmf in logs, etc.

> Thomas Esser has (apparently just) announced that he will no longer
> be maintaining teTeX.  Which version of TeX do you recommend I install?

Hans mentioned the minimal context linux distribution.

Red Hat will have to make a decision about TeX.  In the interim, you
may have to do a bit of extra work to stay current.  The nice thing
about teTeX and TeX Live is that they have been designed so they can
be self-contained, with texmf trees and binaries under one top-level
directory so you can add and remove them without the need for a
package manager to keep things sorted.

--

@ 2006-05-24 13:45   ` Neal Lester
From: Neal Lester @ 2006-05-24 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-05-24  8:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neal Lester wrote:
> I am trying to verify my installation.
>
> When I try to run texexec against the test file given in the
> installation instructions I don't get a dvi or pdf file.  The output is:
>
> TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

first download the latest version and try to get the new texexec running

(otherwise, try the minimal context linux distribution)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2006-05-24  7:49 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-24  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neal Lester wrote:
> I am trying to verify my installation.
>
> When I try to run texexec against the test file given in the
> installation instructions I don't get a dvi or pdf file.  The output is:

What instructions did you follow, precisely? I see some problems in
your output, but it will be easier to explain using those instructions.

Cheers, Taco

* Installation Problem
@ 2006-05-23 23:51 Neal Lester
From: Neal Lester @ 2006-05-23 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to verify my installation.

When I try to run texexec against the test file given in the
installation instructions I don't get a dvi or pdf file.  The output is:

TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

fixing texformat path : .:{!!/home/neal/.texmf-config,!!/home/neal/.texmf-var,/home/neal/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-config,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-var,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist}/web2c/{$engine,}
fixing engine variable : pdfetex
total run time : 0 seconds
warning : use 'texmfstart texexec' instead

I have set the value for TeXFormatPath in texexec.ini but still get the fixing texformat path message.

The contents of cont-en.log are:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4) (format=pdfetex 2006.5.23)  23 MAY 2006 15:35
entering extended mode
**cont-en --proxname=context temp
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/context.tex
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-pln.tex
\maxdimen=\dimen10
\hideskip=\skip10
\centering=\skip11
\p@=\dimen11
\z@=\dimen12
\z@skip=\skip12
\voidb@x=\box10
\interdisplaylinepenalty=\count23
\interfootnotelinepenalty=\count24
\bigskipamount=\skip13
\medskipamount=\skip14
\smallskipamount=\skip15
\normalbaselineskip=\skip16
\normallineskip=\skip17
\normallineskiplimit=\dimen13
\jot=\dimen14
\mscount=\count25
\tabs=\box11
\tabsyet=\box12
\tabsdone=\box13

Runaway definition?
->\ifx \next
! Forbidden control sequence found while scanning definition of \sett@b.
<inserted text>
                }
<to be read again>
                   \+
l.515   {\ifx\next\+
                    %
? \end
Type <return> to proceed, S to scroll future error messages,
R to run without stopping, Q to run quietly,
I to insert something, E to edit your file,
H for help, X to quit.
?
! Extra \else.
l.517    \else

?
! Extra \fi.
l.519    \fi

?
! Argument of \nxt has an extra }.
<inserted text>
                \par
<to be read again>
                   }
l.521    \nxt}

?
Runaway argument?
! Paragraph ended before \nxt was complete.
<to be read again>
                   \par
<to be read again>
                   }
l.521    \nxt}

?
) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-prm.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-etx.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-omg.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-xtx.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-gen.tex <unprotect 254>
) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-ext.tex
<unprotect 255>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-new.tex
<unprotect 256>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-con.tex
<unprotect 257>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-var.tex
) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/math-pln.tex <unprotect 258>)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-ini.tex
<unprotect 259>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-fil.tex
<unprotect 260>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-dir.tex
<unprotect 261>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mult-ini.tex
<unprotect 262>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mult-sys.tex
<unprotect 263>
interface       : defining english interface

interface       : using english messages

) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mult-con.tex
) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mult-com.tex
) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/thrd-ran.tex <unprotect 264>)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/thrd-trg.tex <unprotect 265>)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-box.tex
<unprotect 266>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mrk.tex
<unprotect 267>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-vis.tex
<unprotect 268>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-fun.tex
<unprotect 269>
) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-eps.tex
<unprotect 270>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.tex
<unprotect 271>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-spe.tex
<unprotect 272>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mps.tex
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-ini.tex
<unprotect 273>)
<unprotect 274>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mpe.tex
<unprotect 275>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-tpi.tex
<unprotect 276>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mat.tex
<unprotect 277>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-ran.tex
) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-ali.tex <unprotect 278>)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/typo-ini.tex
<unprotect 279>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/verb-ini.tex
<unprotect 280>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-var.tex
<unprotect 281>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-ins.tex
<unprotect 282>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-fil.tex
<unprotect 283>) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-con.tex
<unprotect 284>
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [save size=5000].
\setvalue ...xpandafter \def \csname #1\endcsname

<argument> \setvalue {\??cv \v!characters }
                                           {\characters }
\secondoftwoarguments #1#2->#2

\dodefineconversion ...defineconversion [][#1][#2]
                                                  \fi
<to be read again>
                   \defineconversion
l.910 \defineconversion
                        [\v!Characters]    [\Characters]
If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 5402 strings out of 97341
 66180 string characters out of 1211535
 78945 words of memory out of 1000000
 6449 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+50000
 14794 words of font info for 50 fonts, out of 500000 for 2000
 14 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
 14i,4n,15p,218b,5000s stack positions out of 1500i,500n,5000p,200000b,5000s
No pages of output.

* Re: installation problem
@ 2006-05-05 10:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-05 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karsten Heymann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my customer has tried to install the current context minimal
> installation (following my instructions :-/) and is running into the
> following problem (I currently don't have more information but can ask for):

a more recent version will work better

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: installation problem
@ 2006-05-05  8:02   ` Karsten Heymann
From: Karsten Heymann @ 2006-05-05  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Karsten Heymann wrote:
>> Does someone have an idea what causes the problem?
>>

> I believe this a bug that was present for a few days
> in one of the earlier releases in april (and fixed).

okay, I'll ask them to download again.

Thanks,
Karsten
--
|  ~ Karsten Heymann ~  | Christian-Albrecht-Universität zu Kiel |
| Fon: +49 431 880-1186 |    Netzwerkteam des Ökologiezentrum    |

* Re: installation problem
@ 2006-05-05  7:49 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-05  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-05-03 11:31 Karsten Heymann
From: Karsten Heymann @ 2006-05-03 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

my customer has tried to install the current context minimal
installation (following my instructions :-/) and is running into the
following problem (I currently don't have more information but can ask for):

when running
  texexec --make --alone
he gets:

----SNIP----
unable to locate base/kpseremote on library paths:

/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/i686-linux
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby
/usr/lib/ruby/1.6
/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux
.
/home/archiv/tex/texmf-linux/bin
/home/archiv/tex/texmf-linux/bin/texmfstart-lib
/home/archiv/tex/texmf-local/scripts/context/ruby
/home/archiv/tex/texmf/scripts/context/ruby
an option is to copy

  <texmf-local or texmf>/scripts/context/ruby/base

to e.g.

  <path of texmfstart script>/texmfstart-lib/base
/home/archiv/tex/texmf-linux/bin/texmfstart:167:in `check_kpse':
uninitialized constant KpseRemote (NameError)
        from /home/archiv/tex/texmf-linux/bin/texmfstart:552:in `find'
        from /home/archiv/tex/texmf-linux/bin/texmfstart:1027:in `execute'
        from /home/archiv/tex/texmf-linux/bin/texmfstart:1022:in `process'
        from /home/archiv/tex/texmf-linux/bin/texmfstart:1022:in `execute'
        from /home/archiv/tex/texmf-linux/bin/texmfstart:1044
----SNAP---

:~> set | grep tex
OLDPWD=/home/archiv/tex
PATH=/home/archiv/tex/texmf-linux/bin:/home/archiv/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/b
in:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome2/bin:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde3/b
in:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/gnome/bin:.
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:
monitor
TEXMFCNF='$TEXROOT/texmf{-local,}/web2c'
TEXMFEXTRA=/home/archiv/tex/texmf-extra
TEXMFFONTS=/home/archiv/tex/texmf-fonts
TEXMFLOCAL=/home/archiv/tex/texmf-local
TEXMFMAIN=/home/archiv/tex/texmf
TEXMFOS=/home/archiv/tex/texmf-linux
TEXMFPROJECT=/home/archiv/tex/texmf-project
TEXROOT=/home/archiv/tex
VARTEXMF=/texmf-var
        tex | latex)
            e='!*.+(tex|TEX|texi|latex)'
:~>

@ 2004-10-17 20:21 ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2004-10-17 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:

> Added
>
> map +context.map
>
> to pdftex.cfg.

take a look at the file cont-sys.rme: you can configure auto map

> Got this error:
>
> <argument> \c!gebied

can you do a

c:
cd \
dir c:\texexec.pl /s

and see what texexec's are reported?

> C:\temp> texexec junk
>
> and wind up at
>
> F:\temp>

weird, i remember a post on this,

can you try texmfstart texexec.pl ...

i can send you a texmfstart.exe if needed

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2004-10-17 20:09   ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2004-10-17 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Stamm wrote:

> I got a similar error message on my linux box.  The solution was to
> replace a single occurrence of the instruction "\c!gebied" in texexec.pl
> with "\c!directory".  I suspect this is an errant piece of Dutch
> language code that escaped the recent tranlation to low-level English.

hm, no c!gebied on my machine; of course the new location in TDS can
make that in distributions that have updated build scripts accordingly
old scripts may be used instead of new ones;

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2004-10-16  9:55 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-10-16  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

does
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20041011.122555.3827e19a.html

help?

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Installation Problem
@ 2004-10-16  5:43 David Arnold
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Arnold @ 2004-10-16  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii", Size: 2724 bytes --]

All,

Got the latest cont-tfm.zip from:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/current/cont-tmf.zip

Extracted with WinZip on my Win95 machine running Miktex.

Added

map +context.map

to pdftex.cfg.

Refreshed the Filename Database.

Copied texexec.rme to texexec.ini and changed:

%set  TeXShell  to  tetex
%set TeXShell  to  fptex
set TeXShell  to  miktex
%set TeXShell  to  private

Built formats with:

texexec --make en nl

Moved formats to f:\localtexmf\miktex\fmt\

Refreshed the filename database.

Built metafun with:

texexec --make metafun

Moved format files to f:\localtexmf\miktex\mem\

Refreshed filename database.

Saved the following in C:\temp\junk.tex

\starttext
\framed {Let’s see if it works.}
\stoptext

Change to the C:\ drive and:

texexec junk

Got this error:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.10b-2.1 (MiKTeX 2.3)
entering extended mode
(junk.tex{pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2004.10.07  fmt: 2004.10.15  int: english  mes: english

systems        : pdfTeX version 110 -> please update

systems        : eTeX version 201 -> too old (bugs)

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(F:\miktex\tex\context\base\cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
color          : palette rollover is available
system (E-TEX) : [line 966]
system (E-TEX) : [line 1021]
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(F:\miktex\tex\context\base\cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(F:\miktex\tex\context\base\cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns en->default:default->1->2:2
uk->default:default->2->2
:2 de->texnansi:texnansi->3->2:2 de->ec:ec->4->2:2
fr->texnansi:texnansi->5->2:
2 fr->ec:ec->6->2:2 es->default:default->7->2:2
it->texnansi:texnansi->8->2:2 i
t->ec:ec->9->2:2 nl->texnansi:texnansi->10->2:2 nl->ec:ec->11->2:2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : junk.top loaded
(./junk.top
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \c!gebied
                     ={C:/}
\xprocesscommaitem #1,#2->\if ,#1
                                 ,\@EA \xprocesscommaitem \else \if
]#1\@EAE...

\xdogetparameters #1]->\xprocesscommaitem #1,]
                                              ,\@relax@
\dosetupsystem [#1]->\getparameters [\??sv ][#1]
                                                \setuprandomize
[\@@svrandom...
l.3 ...ost --undump=}\setupsystem[\c!gebied={C:/}]

?

Any ideas?

I also have the unusual behavior that I start with:

C:\temp> texexec junk

and wind up at

F:\temp>

Anyone else ever have to deal with this changing of drives at the end of a
texexec run?

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2004-06-25  8:32     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-25  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com> writes:

>> texexec --make en de nl
>
> Yes, I knew about that, and had already created the en and nl formats
> (since I don't work with German documents at all, I don't need de, do
> I?).

No, you don't need de. Even when you want to typeset german
documents, you don't need de. (Trust me, I typeset german documents,
but never create the german format file :)

Patrick
--
texshow-web:  http://members.ping.de:8061
ConTeXt wiki: http://members.ping.de:8062

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2004-06-22 10:21             ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-22 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans and Matt,

here is my solution:

in texexec.ini change

set  TeXFormatFlag      to  &

into:

set  TeXFormatFlag      to

(empty)

and run texexec like:

texexec --tex=pdfetex file.tex

this is because texexec checks

if ( $TeXFormatFlag eq "" ) {
    if ($TeXProgram =~ /(etex|pdfetex)/) {
        $TeXFormatFlag = "-efmt=" ; # >=2004 -fmt=
    } elsif ($TeXProgram =~ /(eomega)/) {
        $TeXFormatFlag = "-eoft=" ; # >=2004 obsolete
    } elsif ($TeXProgram =~ /(aleph)/) {
        $TeXFormatFlag = "-fmt=" ;
    } else {
        $TeXFormatFlag = "-fmt=" ;
    }
}

and $TeXProgram is not set to $TeXExecutable (why the two different vars?)

Patrick

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2004-06-22  8:51                 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-22  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

> maybe some interference with cont-en.ini; does
>
>   texexec --make --alone
>
> work ok?

yes. It gives me cont-en, cont-nl,  metafun and  mptopdf  in the
current dir.

BTW: I use the current texlive (the last one shipped to members of
local tugs)

Patrick

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2004-06-21 20:51             ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-21 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

>>Using an old texexec works fine for me. I didn't look into this yet.
>>
> hm, maybe some bug due to changed as a result of the new tds and
> binaries; i'll upload my local latest -)

No change.

texexec is /opt/context/2004.6.21/bin/texexec

test$ texexec test

 TeXExec 4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : test
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

warning: Could not open char translation file `cp8bit.tcx'.
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.11a-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-en.efmt
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11a-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2)
 \write18 enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (/opt/texlive/8/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
**
! End of file on the terminal... why?
running `pdfetex -ini   -jobname=cont-en -progname=context *cont-en.ini' ...
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11a-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2) (INITEX)
 \write18 enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (/opt/texlive/8/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
entering extended mode
(/opt/context/2004.6.21/texmf/tex/context/config/cont-en.ini{/opt/local/texmf/p
dftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

cp8bit is not found in the first line, but ok in the 7th.

Do you have an idea what is going on?

Patrick

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2004-06-21 14:57         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-21 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Matt,

I just came across the same error. I don't know why I didn't notice
before, but texexec seems to be 'broken'. Well, I don't know if it is
really broken, but it just does not to the same thing it used to. It
gives me same error as you get.

@ 2004-06-21  9:29     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-21  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

> Well, I've deleted all the old ConTeXt directories, reinstalled the new
> version, copied the *.rme files to *.ini (or whatever they are supposed
> to be ... I think), regenerated the 'en', 'nl', and 'metafun' formats,
> and run texhash ... I'm still getting the same error.

did you update texexec and texutil?

> BTW, this is a very new release of ConTeXt--June 16, according to the
> Pragma Web site. Has anyone used this version successfully?

The current beta is 2004.6.20 (see
http://members.ping.de:8062/context/show/HomePage ;-)

Patrick

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2004-06-21  9:05   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-21  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> cont-en.efmt is a format file that ConTeXt need to run. In order for
> this file to be built, run
>
> texexec --make en de nl
>
> This will create English, Dutch, and German formats (see minstall.pdf,
> p. 6-8). Depending on where and how you installed, you'll need to run
> it as root.

add metafun and mptopdf; here i run:

   texexec --make --alone --all en de nl metafun mptopdf

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2004-06-21  8:46 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2004-06-21  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

cont-en.efmt is a format file that ConTeXt need to run. In order for
this file to be built, run

texexec --make en de nl

This will create English, Dutch, and German formats (see minstall.pdf,
p. 6-8). Depending on where and how you installed, you'll need to run
it as root.

All best

Thomas

On Jun 21, 2004, at 10:28 AM, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Hello, all--
>
> I have just installed the latest (stable release of) ConTeXt on a "new"
> machine [details below], but texexec is not working properly. I keep
> getting the following error:
>
>   sh: cont-en: command not found
>
> I have Googled for information on this problem, but the solution I
> found
> doesn't make sense to me. In response to a previous inquiry on this
> list, someone wrote:
>
>> but the absence of cont-en that is the
>> problem. Or if cont-en exists, it is not in your path or not
>> executable.
>
> But what exactly is this 'cont-en'? I have two machines with working
> ConTeXt systems, and neither of them has a command with exactly that
> name. So I imagine the reference is to a file named
> 'cont-en.<extension>'. But there is more than one such file, and none
> of
> them seems to be a type of file that would normally be made executable
> (nor are they executable on the machines where I have ConTeXt working).
> Any thoughts as to what's wrong?
>
> Oh, yes, my system is:
>
>   Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
>   teTeX 1.0.2
>     * Note that teTeX comes with an old and not-properly-configured
>       version of ConTeXt. I unzipped the new package over that ...
>       could something left over from the old ConTeXt be causing the
>       problem?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> --
> Matt Gushee                 When a nation follows the Way,
> Englewood, Colorado, USA    Horses bear manure through
> mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
> http://www.havenrock.com/   When a nation ignores the Way,
>                             Horses bear soldiers through
>                                 its streets.
>
>                             --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2004-06-21  8:45 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-21  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Matt,

> But what exactly is this 'cont-en'?

probably a hard link to pdftex or pdfetex.

>   Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
>   teTeX 1.0.2
>     * Note that teTeX comes with an old and not-properly-configured
>       version of ConTeXt. I unzipped the new package over that ...

oh, bad thing ;-)

remove the ConTeXt stuff from there (not really necessary) and
install ConTeXt somewhere else. The directory structure has changed
so that you will get into some trouble sooner or later (kpathsea).
You need to make sure that kpathsea finds the new files before the
old ones.

See also http://levana.de/context/

Patrick

* Installation problem