* simplify \setuppapersize call
@ 2006-04-11 18:55 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-11 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Should \setuppapersize automatically assume the same typesetting and
printing papersizes, if no optional argument is given?  Then you could
do \setuppapersize[letter] instead of \setuppapersize[letter][letter]

Right now

\setuppapersize[letter]
\starttext
hello
\stoptext

produces a mixture of letter and A4 dimensions:

$ texexec --pdf a > /dev/null && pdfinfo a.pdf | grep 'Page size'
Page size:      612 x 841.89 pts

Shouldn't it be either 612x792 (letter) or 595.276 x 841.89 pts (A4)?

                   tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
               context : ver: 2006.03.25 13:21
               cont-en : ver: 2006.03.25 13:21  fmt: 2006.4.11  mes: english

It might be because I once ran 'texconfig' to set the default papersize
to letter?

-Sanjoy

* Re: simplify \setuppapersize call
@ 2006-04-11 20:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-11 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> Should \setuppapersize automatically assume the same typesetting and
> printing papersizes, if no optional argument is given?  Then you could
> do \setuppapersize[letter] instead of \setuppapersize[letter][letter]

maybe, but i'm hesitant to change this because it has been so from the
beginning

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-11 21:36   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-11 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> maybe, but i'm hesitant to change this because it has been so from the
> beginning

Reasonable enough.

Though the mixed A4/letter dimensions with \setuppapersize[letter] is
probably not what a user intends and not useful for backward
compatibility.  They should probably get a PDF with an a4 whateverbox
(mediabox?).

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

* Re: simplify \setuppapersize call
@ 2006-04-12  8:52     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-12  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>> maybe, but i'm hesitant to change this because it has been so from the
>> beginning
>>

> Reasonable enough.
>
> Though the mixed A4/letter dimensions with \setuppapersize[letter] is
> probably not what a user intends and not useful for backward
> compatibility.  They should probably get a PDF with an a4 whateverbox
> (mediabox?).

don't worry, when the second arg is missing, context will at least enlarge the print paper size to get it fit.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE