* Curious blank page
@ 2006-03-20  6:16 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-03-20  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

Why is it that the rest of the page after Answers on page 4 of the
compiled pdf is blank?

%output=pdf

\starttext

\setupindenting[medium,yes]

\setupwhitespace[medium]

\chapter{First Chapter}

\dorecurse{2}{\input tufte\par}

\section{First Section}

\dorecurse{5}{\input tufte\par}

\section{Exercises}

\startcolumns[n=2]
\dorecurse{5}{\input tufte\par}
\stopcolumns

\section{Answers}

\startcolumns[n=2]
\dorecurse{5}{\input tufte\par}
\stopcolumns

\section{Second Section}

\dorecurse{5}{\input tufte\par}

\section{Third Section}

\dorecurse{5}{\input tufte\par}

\stoptext

* Re: Curious blank page
@ 2006-03-20  9:54 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-03-20  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

This is a bug that I do not have a real fix for, but
I have a workaround for you instead.

David Arnold wrote:

> \section{Answers}

Add this, here:

   \kern0pt

Cheers, taco

* Re: Curious blank page
@ 2006-03-20 10:42   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-03-20 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> This is a bug that I do not have a real fix for, but
> I have a workaround for you instead.
>
> David Arnold wrote:
>
>> \section{Answers}
>>
>  >

> Add this, here:
>
>    \kern0pt

can you check the version i uploaded a moment ago? i see no blank page here but i did some fixes to the multi column mechanism last week

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Curious blank page
@ 2006-03-20 17:28     ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-03-20 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

I have to wait until Gerben's Context Updated catches up to your
update. But I will do it then.

On Mar 20, 2006, at 2:42 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > This is a bug that I do not have a real fix for, but
> > I have a workaround for you instead.
> >
> > David Arnold wrote:
> >
> >> \section{Answers}
> >>
> >  >

> > Add this, here:
> >
> >    \kern0pt
> >
> can you check the version i uploaded a moment ago? i see no blank
> page here but i did some fixes to the multi column mechanism last week
>
> Hans

* Re: Curious blank page
@ 2006-04-09 20:53 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-04-09 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, David Arnold wrote:

> Why is it that the rest of the page after Answers on page 4 of the
> compiled pdf is blank?

I have a similar problem. Attached is the (not so) minimal example
that I could prepare. (This is part of my way on mathalignment). See
the page break on page 2, while all the page is empty. Adding
\kern\zeropoint prevents the page break. But I find such an page break
very confusing.

This is context version.
  TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

                texexec : TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE
1997-2005
                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE
1992-2004
                    tex : pdfeTeXk, 3.141592-1.30.3-2.2 (Web2c 7.5.5)
                context : ver: 2006.04.07 11:24
                cont-en : ver: 2006.04.07 11:24  fmt: 2006.4.7  mes:
english
                cont-nl : ver: 2006.04.07 11:24  fmt: 2006.4.7  mes:
dutch

         total run time : 5 seconds

By the way, texmfstart newtexexec --version just gives
TeXExec | version 6.1.2 - 1997-2006 - PRAGMA ADE/POD

No version information of context is given!! What is the correct way
to get complete version information from newtexexec.

Thanks,
Aditya

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/octet-stream, Size: 3218 bytes --]

\usemodule[mag-01]

\setuptyping[style=\ttx\setupinterlinespace]
\setupheadertexts[section]

\setupbodyfontenvironment	[default][em=italic]
\def\AmSTeX{AmS\TeX}

\gdef\ShowExample{
  \blank[small]
  \setupbackground
  \startbackground \typebuffer \stopbackground
  \getbuffer\blank[small]}

\starttext \setups[titlepage] \setups[title]
\definemathalignment
  [gather]
  [n=1,align=middle]
\startbuffer
\definemathmatrix
  [aligned]
  [n=2,distance=0pt,align={right,left}]

\definemathmatrix
  [gathered]
  [n=1,align=middle]

\startformula
  a = \frac{\left(\startaligned
    \NC xy \NC {}+ xy + xy \NR
    \NC    \NC {}+ xy + xy \NR
  \stopaligned \right)}{z}
  = \frac{\left(\startgathered
    \NC xy  + xy + xy \NR
    \NC   {}+ xy + xy \NR
  \stopgathered \right)}{z}
\stopformula
\stopbuffer
\ShowExample

\subsection[sec:split]{split (again)}
\type{mathmatrix} can also be used to define a split environment, with
equations number at the center of the display.

\startbuffer
\definemathmatrix
  [dosplit]
  [n=2,distance=0pt,align={right,left}]

%D Need to change domatrixNC to have a {} so that bin operators
%D are treated properly

\def\startsplit#1\stopsplit{
  \def\dodomatrixNC
    {\gdef\domatrixNC{\endmath&{}}}
  \startdosplit#1\stopdosplit}

\placeformula \startformula \startsplit
  \NC f(x) \NC = (x+2)^2 + 2(x+2) + 3 \NR
  \NC \NC = x^2 + 4x + 4 + 2x + 4 + 3 \NR
  \NC \NC = x^2 + 6x + 11 \NR
\stopsplit \stopformula
\stopbuffer
\ShowExample

\section{Some Problems}

\subsection{What happened to my square brackets?}
% \kern\zeropoint
\startbuffer
\startformula \startgather
  [p] = 100 \NR
  [v] = 200 \NR
\stopgather \stopformula
\stopbuffer
\ShowExample

This is not what you would expect. An easy way to avoid such unexpected
behavior is to start each line with \tex{NC}.
\startbuffer
\startformula \startgather
  \NC [p] = 100 \NR
  \NC [v] = 200 \NR
\stopgather \stopformula
\stopbuffer
\ShowExample

\section{Compatibility with \type{amsmath}}
\tex{startalign} provides a compatibility mode with \type{amsmath} syntax,
which makes it easier to reuse work written in \LATEX.
\startbuffer
\placeformula \startformula \startalign
  f(x) &= x^3 + 2x^2 + 3 \\
  f'(x) &= 3x^2 + 4x \\
\stopalign \stopformula
\stopbuffer
\ShowExample

However, Hans does not like the syntax, especially the {\em loose label} for
referring equations. This compatibility feature may disappear in the future. So,
I suggest not to use it. There are subtle differences from the \type{amsmath}
syntax, and it is much easier (and logical) to follow the \CONTEXT\ syntax.

\section{Missing Features}
As compared to \AmSTeX\ and \type{amsmath} package of \LATEX, the only display
math environment missing from \CONTEXT\ is \type{multline}. I do not
completely understand what is the expected behavior of \type{multline}
environment. If someone understands what it is supposed to do, and needs that
feature, make a feature request :)

Subformula numbering is a kludge. The subformula number needs to be specified
manually.  Using mixed formula and subformula number needs some user
intervention.  However, it is possible to make these transparent by defining
your own macros.

\stoptext
\setups[lastpage]

* Re: Curious blank page
@ 2006-04-09 21:44   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-09 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, David Arnold wrote:
>
>> Why is it that the rest of the page after Answers on page 4 of the
>> compiled pdf is blank?
>
> I have a similar problem. Attached is the (not so) minimal example
> that I could prepare. (This is part of my way on mathalignment). See
> the page break on page 2, while all the page is empty. Adding
> \kern\zeropoint prevents the page break. But I find such an page break
> very confusing.
>

> This is context version.
>  TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>
>                texexec : TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
>                    tex : pdfeTeXk, 3.141592-1.30.3-2.2 (Web2c 7.5.5)
>                context : ver: 2006.04.07 11:24
>                cont-en : ver: 2006.04.07 11:24  fmt: 2006.4.7  mes:
> english
>                cont-nl : ver: 2006.04.07 11:24  fmt: 2006.4.7  mes: dutch
>
>         total run time : 5 seconds
>

> By the way, texmfstart newtexexec --version just gives
> TeXExec | version 6.1.2 - 1997-2006 - PRAGMA ADE/POD
>
> No version information of context is given!! What is the correct way
> to get complete version information from newtexexec.
better use (for th emoment):

\defineframedtext
  [example]
  [width=\textwidth,
   background=screen,
   backgroundscreen=.85,
   frame=off,
   after={\blank[small]},
   before={\blank[small]}]

\def\ShowExample
  {\blank[small]
   \startexample
     \typebuffer
   \stopexample
   \getbuffer
   \blank[small]}

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Curious blank page
@ 2006-04-09 21:53   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-09 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, David Arnold wrote:
>
>> Why is it that the rest of the page after Answers on page 4 of the
>> compiled pdf is blank?
>
> I have a similar problem. Attached is the (not so) minimal example
> that I could prepare. (This is part of my way on mathalignment). See
> the page break on page 2, while all the page is empty. Adding
> \kern\zeropoint prevents the page break. But I find such an page break
> very confusing.
>

> This is context version.
>  TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>
>                texexec : TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
>                    tex : pdfeTeXk, 3.141592-1.30.3-2.2 (Web2c 7.5.5)
>                context : ver: 2006.04.07 11:24
>                cont-en : ver: 2006.04.07 11:24  fmt: 2006.4.7  mes:
> english
>                cont-nl : ver: 2006.04.07 11:24  fmt: 2006.4.7  mes: dutch
>
>         total run time : 5 seconds
>

> By the way, texmfstart newtexexec --version just gives
> TeXExec | version 6.1.2 - 1997-2006 - PRAGMA ADE/POD
>
> No version information of context is given!! What is the correct way
> to get complete version information from newtexexec.
btw, you need to patch core-mat.tex :

\doif => \doifsomething

   \doifsomething{\formulaparameter\c!margin}% so we test first
     {\dosetleftskipadaption{\formulaparameter\c!margin}%
      \edef\leftdisplaymargin{\the\leftskipadaption}}% overloaded

it seems that this was never encountered

Hans
                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Curious blank page
@ 2006-04-10  1:59     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-04-10  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, David Arnold wrote:
>>
>>> Why is it that the rest of the page after Answers on page 4 of the
>>> compiled pdf is blank?
>>
>> I have a similar problem. Attached is the (not so) minimal example
>> that I could prepare. (This is part of my way on mathalignment). See
>> the page break on page 2, while all the page is empty. Adding
>> \kern\zeropoint prevents the page break. But I find such an page break
>> very confusing.
>>
> btw, you need to patch core-mat.tex :
>
> \doif => \doifsomething
>
>   \doifsomething{\formulaparameter\c!margin}% so we test first
>     {\dosetleftskipadaption{\formulaparameter\c!margin}%
>      \edef\leftdisplaymargin{\the\leftskipadaption}}% overloaded
>
> it seems that this was never encountered

This doesn't seem to work. Changing line 303 of core-mat.tex \doif =>
\doifsomething and regenerating formats, does not change the output of
the test file. I still get the incorrect page breaking.

If I use the framedtext, then everything works fine. Something seems
to be going wrong with \startbackground \stopbackground.

Aditya

--

@ 2006-04-10  7:32       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-10  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> I have a similar problem. Attached is the (not so) minimal example
>>> that I could prepare. (This is part of my way on mathalignment). See
>>> the page break on page 2, while all the page is empty. Adding
>>> \kern\zeropoint prevents the page break. But I find such an page break
>>> very confusing.
>>>

>> btw, you need to patch core-mat.tex :
>>
>> \doif => \doifsomething
>>
>>   \doifsomething{\formulaparameter\c!margin}% so we test first
>>     {\dosetleftskipadaption{\formulaparameter\c!margin}%
>>      \edef\leftdisplaymargin{\the\leftskipadaption}}% overloaded
>>
>> it seems that this was never encountered
>>

> This doesn't seem to work. Changing line 303 of core-mat.tex \doif =>
> \doifsomething and regenerating formats, does not change the output of
> the test file. I still get the incorrect page breaking.

no, this patch is not related to the pagebreak but needed anyway (you're
just lucky for not running into that bug) ; the pagebreak is just the
result of background going crazy (well, not being able to determine if
there is enough space left)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Curious blank page
@ 2006-04-12  0:24         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-04-12  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> btw, you need to patch core-mat.tex :
>>>
>>> \doif => \doifsomething
>>>
>>>   \doifsomething{\formulaparameter\c!margin}% so we test first
>>>     {\dosetleftskipadaption{\formulaparameter\c!margin}%
>>>      \edef\leftdisplaymargin{\the\leftskipadaption}}% overloaded
>>>
>>> it seems that this was never encountered
>>>

>> This doesn't seem to work. Changing line 303 of core-mat.tex \doif =>
>> \doifsomething and regenerating formats, does not change the output of
>> the test file. I still get the incorrect page breaking.
>>
> no, this patch is not related to the pagebreak but needed anyway (you're
> just lucky for not running into that bug) ; the pagebreak is just the
> result of background going crazy (well, not being able to determine if
> there is enough space left)

framedtext does not break across pages :( Can startbackground be
persuaded to become sane?

Thanks,
Aditya

--

@ 2006-04-12  7:53           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-04-12  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> framedtext does not break across pages :( Can startbackground be
> persuaded to become sane?

We already have a feature request to make startextbackground do
everything startbackground can do. After that, startbackground
can be flagged a deprecated command.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Curious blank page
@ 2006-04-12  8:24           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-12  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> This doesn't seem to work. Changing line 303 of core-mat.tex \doif =>
>>> \doifsomething and regenerating formats, does not change the output of
>>> the test file. I still get the incorrect page breaking.
>>>

>> no, this patch is not related to the pagebreak but needed anyway (you're
>> just lucky for not running into that bug) ; the pagebreak is just the
>> result of background going crazy (well, not being able to determine if
>> there is enough space left)
>>

> framedtext does not break across pages :( Can startbackground be
> persuaded to become sane?

not today, best try \definetextbackground which is the successor

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Curious blank page
@ 2006-04-12 15:46             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-04-12 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> no, this patch is not related to the pagebreak but needed anyway (you're
>>> just lucky for not running into that bug) ; the pagebreak is just the
>>> result of background going crazy (well, not being able to determine if
>>> there is enough space left)
>>
>> framedtext does not break across pages :( Can startbackground be
>> persuaded to become sane?
>>
> not today, best try \definetextbackground which is the successor

\definetextbackground works :). The following works correctly (breaks
across pages, and does not give false blank pages)

\definetextbackground
   [example]
   [width=\textwidth,
    background=color,