* linenotes/footnotes
@ 2006-04-22  7:11 Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2006-04-22  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi gang,

I played arund some with the linenotes mechanism provided in core-
lnt.tex and an example provided by Hans about a year ago. On p.
398-399 of the TeXbook, Knuth shows how footnotes can be set as
ordinary paragraphs in plain TeX, with no paragraph breaks between
single notes. In the ConTeXt mechanism, I see only the possibility to
determine the number of columns on which notes will be set. Can
Knuth's solution somehow be hooked into the ConTeXt notes?

Best

Thomas

* Re: linenotes/footnotes
@ 2006-04-22  8:39 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-22  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> I played arund some with the linenotes mechanism provided in core-
> lnt.tex and an example provided by Hans about a year ago. On p.
> 398-399 of the TeXbook, Knuth shows how footnotes can be set as
> ordinary paragraphs in plain TeX, with no paragraph breaks between
> single notes. In the ConTeXt mechanism, I see only the possibility to
> determine the number of columns on which notes will be set. Can
> Knuth's solution somehow be hooked into the ConTeXt notes?

it actually is (and has been present for a while)

n=0 should do that but a few days ago i found out that it got broken when i implemented multiple notes, i'll send you the latest core-not file

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: linenotes/footnotes
@ 2006-04-24  7:34         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-24  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> i'll post an update with support for notedefinitions in such text notes
>>
>> Hans
>
> OK, just tested, and I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something or
> if this is still a bug: the notes themselves are now typeset the way I
> expected (thanks!), but the note references are typeset in the margin,
> all on top of each other.
how does your file look? (you can send me a tex + pdf file)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: linenotes/footnotes
@ 2006-04-24  6:07       ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2006-04-24  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 23, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> i'll post an update with support for notedefinitions in such text
> notes
>
> Hans

OK, just tested, and I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something
or if this is still a bug: the notes themselves are now typeset the
way I expected (thanks!), but the note references are typeset in the
margin, all on top of each other.

Thanks, and best

Thomas

* Re: linenotes/footnotes
@ 2006-04-23 17:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-23 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2006, at 12:17 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> hm, can you send me your (small) test file?
>>
>> (make sure that at place time the same settings apply ! so either
>> use \setupnote or also provide the setting sto \place...
>>
>> Hans
>>
> Actually, I'm reusing an old testfile you sent some time ago:

i'll post an update with support for notedefinitions in such text notes

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: linenotes/footnotes
@ 2006-04-22 18:33   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-04-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 22, 2006, at 12:17 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> hm, can you send me your (small) test file?
>
> (make sure that at place time the same settings apply ! so either
> use \setupnote or also provide the setting sto \place...
>
> Hans

Actually, I'm reusing an old testfile you sent some time ago:

\starttext

\tracelinenotestrue

\setuppapersize[S6][S6]
\setuplayout
[width=middle,height=middle,margin=1.5cm,footer=0pt,header=1cm]

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuptyping[option=color]

\definelinenote[extralinenote]
[rule=off,frame=off,framecolor=darkgreen,n=3]
\setupnote [linenote]     [rule=off,frame=off,framecolor=darkred,n=0]

\showframe

\startbuffer[test]
\doglobal\increment\DummyNumber % else dups due to reuse
\startlinenumbering[100]
test \linenote {oeps} test test test\linenote{second note which is
extremely long and confusing }\ test test test
test \startlinenote [well:\DummyNumber] {oeps} test test test test
test test
test \linenote {oeps} test test test test test test
test \extralinenote {oeps} test test test test test test
test \linenote {oeps} test test test test test test
test \extralinenote {oeps} test test test test test test
test \stoplinenote [well] test test test test test test
\stoplinenumbering
\stopbuffer

{\typebuffer[test] \getbuffer[test]} \page

\stoptext

Thomas

* Re: linenotes/footnotes
@ 2006-04-22 10:17 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-22 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> it actually is (and has been present for a while)
>>
>> n=0 should do that but a few days ago i found out that it got
>> broken when i implemented multiple notes, i'll send you the latest
>> core-not file
>>
>> Hans
>>

> How could I ever doubt it? :-) But the patch isn't quite working, now
> notes are typeset on top of each other.

hm, can you send me your (small) test file?

(make sure that at place time the same settings apply ! so either use \setupnote or also provide the setting sto \place...

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: linenotes/footnotes
@ 2006-04-22  8:48 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-04-22  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> it actually is (and has been present for a while)
>
> n=0 should do that but a few days ago i found out that it got
> broken when i implemented multiple notes, i'll send you the latest
> core-not file
>
> Hans

How could I ever doubt it? :-) But the patch isn't quite working, now
notes are typeset on top of each other.

Thanks

Thomas