* Accessing local files to launch helper progam using \useURL and \from
@ 2006-05-03  0:45 Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2006-05-03  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I am trying to us \useURL and \from with mixed success to access a
local file so that it will be
opened by a helper program. Both the program and the file to be
opened by it
reside in my local file system. Here is a small example:

\setupcolors[state=start]

\setupinteraction
[state=start,color=blue]

\useURL[cycloids][{file://3dxm/cycloids.stng}][][3DXM]

\starttext

\inmargin{\from[cycloids]}
In this section, we study curves that are obtained by tracing a point
on a fixed circle while it is rolling  along another circle.

\stoptext

cycloids.stng is a file, that, when double-clicked, starts a program
it is associated with.
For trying, you can replace it by any other file that uses a special
application to go with.

Unfortunately, this *only* works with the pdf viewer in TeXShop (I am
on a Mac).
Preview doesn't do anything but beep, and Acrobat 6 offers a few
choices, none of which is to
open a helper application. Does anybody know if there is another way
of launching helper
applications when accessing documents?

Also, while at it: When accessing local files, the URL appears to be
absolute. Is there a way to use
URLs relative to the location of the PDF that is referencing the URL?

Thanks,

Matthias

* Re: Accessing local files -- more precise description
@ 2006-05-03 12:39 ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2006-05-03 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all again,

as a follow-up to my previous question, I think I can
now ask more precisely:

In Acrobat, a linked document can be treated in different ways.
A 'webdocument' is typically just downloaded (and opened in Acrobat
if possible).
This is the behavior I get when using \from with \useURL.

There is another possible behavior, called 'Open File' in Acrobat,
which will
launch a program to open the linked document. This is what I want.
Is this feature of Acrobat accessible in ConTeXt?

(I can manually edit the pdf to this effect in Acrobat).

Thanks again,

Matthias

* Re: Accessing local files to launch helper progam using \useURL and \from
@ 2006-05-03 16:18 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2006-05-03 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Matthias,

I would suggest to use \goto...
Please look the details up in the widget-manual

Kind regards Willi

Matthias Weber wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I am trying to us \useURL and \from with mixed success to access a
>local file so that it will be
>opened by a helper program. Both the program and the file to be
>opened by it
>reside in my local file system. Here is a small example:
>
>\setupcolors[state=start]
>
>\setupinteraction
>[state=start,color=blue]
>

>\useURL[cycloids][{file://3dxm/cycloids.stng}][][3DXM]
>
>\starttext
>
>\inmargin{\from[cycloids]}
>In this section, we study curves that are obtained by tracing a point
>on a fixed circle while it is rolling  along another circle.
>
>\stoptext
>

>cycloids.stng is a file, that, when double-clicked, starts a program
>it is associated with.
>For trying, you can replace it by any other file that uses a special
>application to go with.
>
>Unfortunately, this *only* works with the pdf viewer in TeXShop (I am
>on a Mac).
>Preview doesn't do anything but beep, and Acrobat 6 offers a few
>choices, none of which is to
>open a helper application. Does anybody know if there is another way
>of launching helper
>applications when accessing documents?
>
>Also, while at it: When accessing local files, the URL appears to be
>absolute. Is there a way to use
>URLs relative to the location of the PDF that is referencing the URL?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matthias

* Re: Accessing local files  -- relative file names?
@ 2006-05-03 17:18   ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2006-05-03 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)