* Re: new release (Modified by Gerben Wierda)
@ 2006-05-11  4:44 Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2006-05-11  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 10, 2006, at 19:13, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Hans,
>>
>> do I need to re-report that format generation with texmfstart
>> newtexexec --make is still broken on OS X (I'll check on my linux box
>> later)? I still get these monstrous paths like
>>
>> TeXExec | tex engine path: .:/Users/tas/texmf/web2c//:!!/usr/local/
>> teTeX/share//share/texmf-local/web2c//:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share//
>> share/texmf/web2c//:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share//share/texmf-dist/web2c//
>> pdfetex
>>

> btw, i cannot test the mac here since the machine is broken (does not
> start up and i already wasted half a day on it)

It seems like not the real paths are taken but only the main path and
texmf-local, texmf-dist and such are hard coded subdirectories. This is
one reason why I do not use the standard directories (like texmf-local
and texmf-dist, but texmf.local, texmf.gwtex, texmf.tetex), to catch
path `hard coding' errors as soon as possible. Another possibility
(also a type of hard coding error) is parsing the wrong texmf.cnf file
yourself instead of asking for the right paths by using kpsewhich.