* How to preserve a TeX token list across passes (the ConTeXt way)?
@ 2006-05-10 17:28 Jyrki Ruuskanen
From: Jyrki Ruuskanen @ 2006-05-10 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I made a plain TeX module for simple abbreviation and bibliography
handling. The problem is it currently uses a temporary file to keep
track of used bibs / abbreviations. Essentially it writes \addToList
[\usedAbbreviations]{<abbr>} and \addToList[\usedReferences]{<cite>}
commands to it, and this file is input on the second pass.

After finding out that ConTeXt *really is* well thought of and robust
I changed the functionality to use TeXutil with \writeutilitycommand.
Everything seems to work, the commands appear in .tui/.tuo files and
are executed, but the token lists are empty when execution reaches
the document. I couldn't figure out how to fix it as I don't yet know
enough about the anatomy of a ConTeXt run and the system.

Jyrki Ruuskanen

* Re: How to preserve a TeX token list across passes (the ConTeXt way)?
@ 2006-05-11  8:33 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-11  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jyrki Ruuskanen wrote:
> I made a plain TeX module for simple abbreviation and bibliography
> handling. The problem is it currently uses a temporary file to keep
> track of used bibs / abbreviations. Essentially it writes \addToList
> [\usedAbbreviations]{<abbr>} and \addToList[\usedReferences]{<cite>}
> commands to it, and this file is input on the second pass.
>
> After finding out that ConTeXt *really is* well thought of and robust
> I changed the functionality to use TeXutil with \writeutilitycommand.
> Everything seems to work, the commands appear in .tui/.tuo files and
> are executed, but the token lists are empty when execution reaches
> the document. I couldn't figure out how to fix it as I don't yet know
> enough about the anatomy of a ConTeXt run and the system.

Some small example files would help a lot. We have to know what
*precisely* is in the tui file.

Cheers ,Taco

* Re: How to preserve a TeX token list across passes (the ConTeXt way)?
@ 2006-05-11  8:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-11  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jyrki Ruuskanen wrote:
> I made a plain TeX module for simple abbreviation and bibliography
> handling. The problem is it currently uses a temporary file to keep
> track of used bibs / abbreviations. Essentially it writes \addToList
> [\usedAbbreviations]{<abbr>} and \addToList[\usedReferences]{<cite>}
> commands to it, and this file is input on the second pass.
>
> After finding out that ConTeXt *really is* well thought of and robust
> I changed the functionality to use TeXutil with \writeutilitycommand.
> Everything seems to work, the commands appear in .tui/.tuo files and
> are executed, but the token lists are empty when execution reaches
> the document. I couldn't figure out how to fix it as I don't yet know
> enough about the anatomy of a ConTeXt run and the system.

can you make a small example? maybe a grouping issue

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: How to preserve a TeX token list across passes (the ConTeXt way)?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-05-15  8:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-15  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater

Jyrki Ruuskanen wrote:
> Ok, the module is read in cont-sys.rme with \usemodule[jtex]. It
> initializes the lists inside protect / unprotect pair with
> \newtoks\usedAbbreviations and \newtoks\usedReferences along with
> macro definitions.
first of all, here is an alternative to setting your texts; instead of doing the check-next-char stuff yourself ...

%%% handle multilingual texts (and uppercase)
% usage: \setText[lang]{key}{value}
\def\setText{\futurelet\testchar\maybeLangSetText}
\def\maybeLangSetText%
	{\ifx[\testchar \let\next\langSetText
	\else \let\next\defaultSetText \fi \next}
\def\langSetText[#1]#2#3{\def\name{#2@#1}\def\bigname{#2@#1@uppercase}
	\expandafter\def\csname \name \endcsname{#3}
	\expandafter\def\csname \bigname \endcsname{\uppercase{#3}}}
\def\defaultSetText#1#2{\langSetText[\currentmainlanguage]{#1}{#2}}

% usage: \getText{key}
\def\langGetText[#1]#2{\def\name{#2@#1}%
	\expandafter\ifx\csname \name \endcsname\relax
	\name missing!\else\csname \name \endcsname\fi}
\def\getText#1{\def\name{#1@\currentlanguage}%
	\expandafter\ifx\csname \name \endcsname\relax
	\langGetText[\currentmainlanguage]{#1}
	\else\langGetText[\currentlanguage]{#1}\fi}

... you can use the built in functionality:

\let\dowithText\firstofoneargument

\def\setText
  {\dosingleempty\dosetText}

\def\dosetText[#1]#2#3%
  {\setvalue{\iffirstargument#1\else\currentmainlanguage\fi @TXT@#2}{\dowithText{#3}}}

\def\getText
  {\let\dowithText\firstofoneargument
   \dosingleempty\dogetText}

\def\dogetText[#1]#2%
  {\executeifdefined{\iffirstargument#1\else\currentlanguage\fi @TXT@#2}%
     {\executeifdefined{\iffirstargument#1\else\currentmainlanguage\fi @TXT@#2}%
        {missing #2}}}

\def\getUppercaseText
  {\let\dowithText\WORD
   \dosingleempty\dogetText}

\starttext

\setText{oeps}{whatever}
\setText[de]{oeps}{de-whatever}

\getText{oeps}
\getText[de]{oeps}
\getUppercaseText{oeps}
\getUppercaseText[de]{oeps}

\stoptext

but, when possible, use:

\setuplabeltext[oeps=whatever]
\setuplabeltext[de][oeps=de-whatever]

{\labeltext{oeps} \mainlanguage[de] \labeltext{oeps} \LABELTEXT{oeps}}

because that is kind of integrated

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-05-15  8:28 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-15  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater

Jyrki Ruuskanen wrote:
> Ok, the module is read in cont-sys.rme with \usemodule[jtex]. It
> initializes the lists inside protect / unprotect pair with
> \newtoks\usedAbbreviations and \newtoks\usedReferences along with
> macro definitions.
>
> Abbreviations are introduced with
> to \<key> calls
> \writeutilitycommand{\addToList[\string\usedAbbreviations]{<key>}, so
> after the first run the .tui file has a number of "c
> \addToList[\usedAbbreviations]{something}" lines in it.
>
> Functionality is similar for the bibliography. The \cite command
> writes \addToList[\usedReferences]{<cite>} into .tui.
>
> So, the .tuo file should populate used* lists and I could typeset the
> list of used abbreviations in initialization order with
> \executeListIntersection[\abbreviations][\usedAbbreviations]{\printAbbreviation}.
> Same for used bib references. But well, lists remain empty.
>
> I'll attach the module and the .tui file.
is there also a test file?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-05-11 21:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-11 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jyrki Ruuskanen wrote:
> Ok, the module is read in cont-sys.rme with \usemodule[jtex]. It
> initializes the lists inside protect / unprotect pair with
> \newtoks\usedAbbreviations and \newtoks\usedReferences along with
> macro definitions.
>
> Abbreviations are introduced with
> to \<key> calls
> \writeutilitycommand{\addToList[\string\usedAbbreviations]{<key>}, so
> after the first run the .tui file has a number of "c
> \addToList[\usedAbbreviations]{something}" lines in it.
>
> Functionality is similar for the bibliography. The \cite command
> writes \addToList[\usedReferences]{<cite>} into .tui.
>
> So, the .tuo file should populate used* lists and I could typeset the
> list of used abbreviations in initialization order with
> \executeListIntersection[\abbreviations][\usedAbbreviations]{\printAbbreviation}.
> Same for used bib references. But well, lists remain empty.
>
> I'll attach the module and the .tui file.
>
> And excuse me, I have never ever used a mailing list. How am I
> supposed to answer to a certain message in the chain? Thanks guys.
i'm away two days (ntg tex days) and will oook into it after that

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-05-11 19:32 Jyrki Ruuskanen
From: Jyrki Ruuskanen @ 2006-05-11 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, Taco Hoekwater

Thanks for the cont-sys tip, good to know.

Yes, I have used \definesynonyms, but I need abbreviations to have
three levels: the abbreviation itself, the meaning of abbreviation
and the description of the abbreviation (for example, "WWW" is short
for "World Wide Web" and is described as a "Worldwide interconnected
mess of multimedia, which took off in early 90's."). ConTeXt synonyms
seem to have two.

I'm sure there are a million ways of doing this. I decided to
implement it from the ground up to learn some plain TeX. But now I
need to integrate my macros with ConTeXt to make passing the lists
graceful without extra auxiliary files and forced double runs.

And as for the reply button, I guess I have to subscribe to get the
mails in my mailbox. I'll do that now ;)

Jyrki

* Re: How to preserve a TeX token list across passes (the ConTeXt way)?
@ 2006-05-11 18:29 ` Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-11 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, Taco Hoekwater

Jyrki Ruuskanen wrote:
> Ok, the module is read in cont-sys.rme with \usemodule[jtex]. It
> initializes the lists inside protect / unprotect pair with
> \newtoks\usedAbbreviations and \newtoks\usedReferences along with
> macro definitions.
copy cont-sys.rme -> cont.sys.tex

and add the module loading there (cont-rme will be overwritten when you
update)

> Abbreviations are introduced with
> to \<key> calls
> \writeutilitycommand{\addToList[\string\usedAbbreviations]{<key>}, so
> after the first run the .tui file has a number of "c
> \addToList[\usedAbbreviations]{something}" lines in it.
>
> Functionality is similar for the bibliography. The \cite command
> writes \addToList[\usedReferences]{<cite>} into .tui.
>
> So, the .tuo file should populate used* lists and I could typeset the
> list of used abbreviations in initialization order with
> \executeListIntersection[\abbreviations][\usedAbbreviations]{\printAbbreviation}.
> Same for used bib references. But well, lists remain empty.
so how about using \definesynonyms (see end of core-syn.tex)

> I'll attach the module and the .tui file.
>
> And excuse me, I have never ever used a mailing list. How am I
> supposed to answer to a certain message in the chain? Thanks guys.
just hit the reply button in your mail agent

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* How to preserve a TeX token list across passes (the ConTeXt way)?
@ 2006-05-11 17:50 Jyrki Ruuskanen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jyrki Ruuskanen @ 2006-05-11 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, Taco Hoekwater