* Problems with ConTeXt version 2006.05.11
@ 2006-05-14  9:17 Otared KAVIAN
From: Otared KAVIAN @ 2006-05-14  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I installed the latest version of ConTeXt (that is version 2006.05.11) and
although some problems have disappeared, some other are still there. Indeed
I thank Hans H. and all the wizards working with him for having fixed some
of the issues reported previously.
For your information, I am using Gerben Wierda's ConTeXt updater, and
running MacOS X 10.4.6. I list below three problems I can observe with some
of my test files:

1) PostScript fonts declarations are not anymore working. For instance this

\starttext
\usetypescript[palatino]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]
Here we are using the font  \fontname\font.
\blank
\input knuth.tex
\stoptext

is typeset with lmr. The same is true with times.

2) Generating a format with XeTeX, that is creating XeConTeXt, is now
possible but still MetaPost code is ignored in the resulting PDF file. For
instance this

\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
\startMPcode
    fill fullcircle scaled 3cm withcolor red;
    fill fullcircle scaled 3cm shifted (2cm,1cm) withcolor
    transparent(1,0.5,green);
\stopMPcode
\stoptext

works fine in ConTeXt, but gives nothing with XeConTeXt.

3) Even though typesetting a file with ConTeXt from within TeXShop works
fine, still there is the warning

 warning : use 'texmfstart texexec' instead

which means that some day those (like me...) who have not well understood
how to switch to texmfstart (and in particular how to make it work...) are
going to have big problems with the next releases of ConTeXt...

Best regards: OK

* Re: Problems with ConTeXt version 2006.05.11
@ 2006-05-14  9:35 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-14  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi OK,

> 1) PostScript fonts declarations are not anymore working. For instance this
>
> \starttext
> \usetypescript[palatino]

You need to specify the desired encoding on this line:

   \usetypescript[palatino][ec]

> 2) Generating a format with XeTeX, that is creating XeConTeXt, is now
> possible but still MetaPost code is ignored in the resulting PDF file.

This is a problem in the XeTeX engine. It always uses the ^^-quoted
form on every byte value below decimal 32, which basically makes it
impossible to create a valid input file for metapost: There are no
line endings written to in the generated file, but instead there are
three-byte sequences, like ^^J or ^^M.

This is why the new linux executable has the -8bit switch. That may
be needed (or even working already) in the OsX version as well.

> 3) Even though typesetting a file with ConTeXt from within TeXShop works
> fine, still there is the warning
>
>  warning : use 'texmfstart texexec' instead
>
> which means that some day those (like me...) who have not well
> understood how to switch to texmfstart (and in particular how to make it
> work...) are going to have big problems with the next releases of
> ConTeXt...

The (perl) compatibility scripts will stay around for fairly long time
to come, so there is no reason to panic yet. ;-)

Cheers, taco

* Re: Problems with ConTeXt version 2006.05.11
@ 2006-05-14 12:24   ` Otared KAVIAN
From: Otared KAVIAN @ 2006-05-14 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/14/06, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:> [...]> You need to
specify the desired encoding on this line:

>  \usetypescript[palatino][ec]

Hi Taco,

Thanks for your attention.
Indeed I had tried to add the encoding option, but then using either [ec] or
\defaultencoding there appears a conflict with \enableregime[utf]. For
instance,

\enableregime[utf]
\starttext
\usetypescript[palatino][ec] % or [\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]
Here we are using the font  \fontname\font.
And these are some diacritics: é, ç, à, ô, î.
\blank
\input knuth.tex
\stoptext

is typeset with Palatino, but then the diacritics are not typeset. On the
other hand before the current version I used to use such settings even
without specifying the encoding (that is
\usetypescript[palatino]
instead of \usetypescript[palatino][ec]). For the time being I avoid using
non lmr fonts in my documents, but this indeed changes  the pages I had
before (however for the kind of things I do, this is not an issue...).

> 2) Generating a format with XeTeX, that is creating XeConTeXt, is now
> > possible but still MetaPost code is ignored in the resulting PDF file.
>
> This is a problem in the XeTeX engine. It always uses the ^^-quoted
> form on every byte value below decimal 32, which basically makes it
> impossible to create a valid input file for metapost: There are no
> line endings written to in the generated file, but instead there are
> three-byte sequences, like ^^J or ^^M.
>
> This is why the new linux executable has the -8bit switch. That may
> be needed (or even working already) in the OsX version as well.

Thanks for the insight. I understand that we have to wait for a change in
XeTeX.

[...]
> The (perl) compatibility scripts will stay around for fairly long time
> to come, so there is no reason to panic yet. ;-)

Thanks for the assurance... I was only reporting a minor concern, shared by
some other people on the list.

Cheers: OK

* Re: Problems with ConTeXt version 2006.05.11
@ 2006-05-14 13:40     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-14 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi OK (and Hans),

Otared KAVIAN wrote:
> \enableregime[utf]

> is typeset with Palatino, but then the diacritics are not typeset. On

If you are using XeTeX, then you should not use \enableregime[utf].
If you are not useing XeTeX, then I do not understand what is going
wrong and need a minimal example + log output.

> the other hand before the current version I used to use such settings
> even without specifying the encoding (that is
> \usetypescript[palatino]
> instead of \usetypescript[palatino][ec]). For the time being I avoid

For Hans: could \usetypescript default to the of use \defaultencoding
(i.e. ec)?

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Problems with ConTeXt version 2006.05.11
@ 2006-05-14 18:06       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2006-05-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco and Hans,

On 14 mai 2006, at 15:40, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi OK (and Hans),
>
> [...]
> If you are using XeTeX, then you should not use \enableregime[utf].
> If you are not useing XeTeX, then I do not understand what is going
> wrong and need a minimal example + log output.

Indeed the problem I am reporting concerns the use of \enableregime
[utf] and \usetypescript in ConTeXt. I am attaching a minimal example
together with the auxiliary files created during the typesetting with
ConTeXt.
If this can be of any help, I noticed that when using the palatino
font, some ligatures disappear as well (like "fi" in "first").

Best regards: OK

[-- Attachment #2: test-palatino.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 6875 bytes --]

* Re: Problems with ConTeXt version 2006.05.11
@ 2006-05-14 18:22         ` Otared KAVIAN
From: Otared KAVIAN @ 2006-05-14 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-05-14 20:35           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-14 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared KAVIAN wrote:
> Hi Taco and Hans,
>

> On 14 mai 2006, at 15:40, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >
> > Hi OK (and Hans),
> >
> > [...]
> > If you are using XeTeX, then you should not use \enableregime[utf].
> > If you are not useing XeTeX, then I do not understand what is going
> > wrong and need a minimal example + log output.
> >

> Indeed the problem I am reporting concerns the use of \enableregime
> [utf] and \usetypescript in ConTeXt. I am attaching a minimal example
> together with the auxiliary files created during the typesetting with
> ConTeXt.
> If this can be of any help, I noticed that when using the palatino
> font, some ligatures disappear as well (like "fi" in "first").
the next version will ignore utf regimes in xetex

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-05-15  7:13         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-15  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian wrote:
> If this can be of any help, I noticed that when using the palatino
> font, some ligatures disappear as well (like "fi" in "first").

Your pdf document did not include the palatino font at all. When
I look at it in Acroread, I see "Adobe Serif MM", pretending to be
raw palatino.

It looks like this is all caused by a path searching problem. Because
your pdfetex is also reading the font map files for dvipdfmx in favor
of the ones for pdftex itself.

You should go back trough the list, there have been some other posts
on the path-searching issues past week.

Cheers, Taco