* More Feature Requests for math
@ 2006-05-17 23:16 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-05-17 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

  Can you provide some more features to \definematrix and
\definemathcases.

1. Allow \definematrix and \definemathcases to have a parameter
displaystyle or textstyle. Right now, everything is in textstyle.
Consider
\startformula
   a = \startcases
     \NC E = mc^2 \NC nothing interesting to see here \NR
     \NC \int_0^1 x - 3 d\,x \NC Integral is in text mode \NR
   \stopcases
\stopformula

\startformula
   \startmatrix[n=2]
     \NC x \NC y \NR
     \NC \int_0^1 x - 3 d\,x \NC 20 \NR
   \stopmatrix
\stopformula

Both integrals are in textstyle. It will be nice if one had a
configuration like
\definemathcases[displaycases][displaystyle]

and \definemathmatrix[displaymatrix][displaystyle]

so that

\startdisplaymatrix
  \NC a \NC b \NR
  \NC d \NC e \NR
\stopdisplaymatrix

is equivalent to

\startmatrix
  \NC \displaystyle a \NC \displaystyle b \NR
  \NC \displaystyle d \NC \displaystyle e \NR
\stopmatrix

and similar for startdisplaycases.

I don't know which syntax is better displaystyle=on|off (yes|no) or
[mathstyle=display|text].

2. Allow location=top|center|bottom for \definemathmatrix. Right now,
inside \dostartmathmatrix there is a \vcenter. Can this be changed to
\vtop or \vbottom depending on the value of location.

With these features, it will be straightforward to emulate the
behaviour of aligned and gathered environments of amsmath.

3. Can pagebreak inside \startalign be restored. This used to work,
but broke while ensuring compatibility with \setupformulas[align=??]

\placeformula \startformula \startalign
   \dorecurse{50}
   { \NC a \EQ b \NR[+] }
\stopalign \stopformula

Thanks,
Aditya

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008

* Re: More Feature Requests for math
@ 2006-05-18  9:21 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2006-05-18  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> 1. Allow \definematrix and \definemathcases to have a parameter
> displaystyle or textstyle. Right now, everything is in textstyle.
> I don't know which syntax is better displaystyle=on|off (yes|no) or
> [mathstyle=display|text].

I vote for [mathstyle=display|text] in such cases.

It is more descriptive in the reference list like tex-show (showing all
option variants on a single line; displaystyle=on|off does not say there
is any other 'textstyle'). Moreover, I pernamently forget which option
use on|off and which yes|no.

Vit