* Dense encoding, part II ???
@ 2006-05-18 12:33 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-18 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Adam Lindsay, Vaidotas Zemlys

Hello,

on the [tex-fonts] mailing list there was a recent discussion of
people putting effort into enabling proper encoding to support
typesetting of Lithuanian (in LaTeX). Before they start creating and
using yet another encoding (incompatible with others and not shipped
with any standard TeX distribution): is there any chance to finish the
companion encoding in some reasonable time?

Even if they keep using LaTeX, I think that the same mechanism can be
used in LaTeX as the one which combined EC (T1) with TS1.

There is probably not that much left to be done. The letter part of
the encoding is finished (and the Polish fonts already ship with those
metric files) and quite some ideas for the companion font are already
there. The major part left is to create ConTeXt support for combining
two encodings, but from the past experiance with Hans that is probably
a matter of not even a couple of hours.

Or should we wait for Oriental TeX first?

Mojca

* Re: Dense encoding, part II ???
@ 2006-05-18 14:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-18 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on the [tex-fonts] mailing list there was a recent discussion of
> people putting effort into enabling proper encoding to support
> typesetting of Lithuanian (in LaTeX). Before they start creating and
> using yet another encoding (incompatible with others and not shipped
> with any standard TeX distribution): is there any chance to finish the
> companion encoding in some reasonable time?

i wonder, what characters do they need in addition to ec/texnansi/qx
> Even if they keep using LaTeX, I think that the same mechanism can be
> used in LaTeX as the one which combined EC (T1) with TS1.
>
> There is probably not that much left to be done. The letter part of
> the encoding is finished (and the Polish fonts already ship with those
> metric files) and quite some ideas for the companion font are already
> there. The major part left is to create ConTeXt support for combining
> two encodings, but from the past experiance with Hans that is probably
> a matter of not even a couple of hours.
>
> Or should we wait for Oriental TeX first?

even with oriental tex, the old style encodings will be around for a while

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE