From: Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com>
Subject: Re: texmfstart?
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 14:19:01 -0600	[thread overview]

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> Since installing the last ConTeXt update I am aware of the message from
> texexec:
>       warning : use 'texmfstart texexec' instead
>
> Good, I call:
>       "texmfstart texexec --version" instead of "texexec --version"
>
> Result:
>       -bash: texmfstart: command not found

I've been away from ConTeXt for a while, so I don't have full knowledge
of the recent changes. But it seems that many of the original Perl
scripts are being replaced by Ruby scripts (of which texmfstart is one),
which are in a different directory.

> Is my system suddenly incomplete?
> I am using Mac OS X 10.4.6, the most recent development I would think.
> What happened and how can I get to the level of system support ConTeXt
> seems to expect of me?

Probably you just need either to put the Ruby script directory
($TEXMF/scripts/context/ruby) on your PATH, or create links from the
scripts you want to use to a directory in your current PATH. Maybe just
link texmfstart--it seems to be a front end for all the Ruby scripts.

Oh, and of course you have to have Ruby itself. I don't know where you
would get an OS X package, but the Ruby language Web site is:

    http://www.ruby-lang.org/

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/