* corrupted .map files or MikTeX messing around?
@ 2006-05-22 16:49 Mojca Miklavec
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-22 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

a friend sent me some currupted PDF files (produced by ConTeXt)
yesterday: all the fonts were missing in the document. He installed
the latest ConTeXt (unzipped cont-tmf) on top of MikTeX (and I was
able to reproduce his problem).

In MikTeX the file
    fonts/map/dvipdfm/context/ec-public-lm.map
was used instead of
    fonts/map/dvips/context/ec-lm.map

ec-public-lm.map looks like:

ec-lmb10 lm-ec lmb10
ec-lmbo10 lm-ec lmbo10
ec-lmbx10 lm-ec lmbx10
ec-lmbx12 lm-ec lmbx12

while the other one reads:

ec-lmb10 LMRoman10-Demi "enclmec ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc <lmb10.pfb
ec-lmbo10 LMRoman10-DemiOblique "enclmec ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc <lmbo10.pfb
ec-lmbx10 LMRoman10-Bold "enclmec ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc <lmbx10.pfb
ec-lmbx12 LMRoman12-Bold "enclmec ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc <lmbx12.pfb

So pdfTeX reported many arrors (see one of the recent threads "new release"):

Warning: pdfetex (file original-base.map): invalid entry for `fmvr8x': font fil
e missing

Whose fault is it? MikTeX's pdfTeX using the wrong path & files or
were the map files [unintentionally] changed in order to support XeTeX
perhaps?

Mojca

* Re: corrupted .map files or MikTeX messing around?
@ 2006-05-22 17:04 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-22 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please ignore my post. I should have read the other thread more
carefully before posting this.

@ 2006-05-22 17:55 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-05-22 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 22, 2006, at 6:49 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Whose fault is it? MikTeX's pdfTeX using the wrong path & files or
> were the map files [unintentionally] changed in order to support XeTeX
> perhaps?
>
> Mojca

Mojca,

I have no idea if this is related, but I had similar problems a few
days ago when I was using TeXShop on OS X. I get error messages such
as this one:

{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvipdfm/context/
original-empty.ma
p}
fonts           : using map file: original-base
{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvipdfm/context/
original-base.map

Warning: pdfetex (file /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/
dvipdfm/con
text/original-base.map): invalid entry for `fmvr8x': font file missing

The point seems to be that ConTeXt  somehow runs in dvipdfm mode and
reads the wrong mapfiles. How do you call ConTeXt? When I run it on
the CLI or from within emacs/auctex with texmfstart texexec,
everything works again. I assume that an obsolete command is passed
to the command interpreter in your case as well.

HTH

Thomas

* Re: corrupted .map files or MikTeX messing around?
@ 2006-05-22 23:26 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-22 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a friend sent me some currupted PDF files (produced by ConTeXt)
> yesterday: all the fonts were missing in the document. He installed
> the latest ConTeXt (unzipped cont-tmf) on top of MikTeX (and I was
> able to reproduce his problem).
>
> In MikTeX the file
>     fonts/map/dvipdfm/context/ec-public-lm.map
> was used instead of
>     fonts/map/dvips/context/ec-lm.map

dvipdfmx and pdftex have a different map file syntax; normally the progname variable takes care of that:

TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//

so you need to figure out what miktex is using

(btw, i thought that i put the map files in the pdftex path)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE