* texmfstart?
@ 2006-05-21 13:42 Hans van der Meer
       [not found] ` <6faad9f00605230205n17131850he3e702269fe9898a@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-05-21 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since installing the last ConTeXt update I am aware of the message
from texexec:
       warning : use 'texmfstart texexec' instead

Good, I call:
       "texmfstart texexec --version" instead of "texexec --version"

Result:
       -bash: texmfstart: command not found

Is my system suddenly incomplete?
I am using Mac OS X 10.4.6, the most recent development I would think.
What happened and how can I get to the level of system support
ConTeXt seems to expect of me?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: texmfstart?
@ 2006-05-22 20:19 ` Matt Gushee
       [not found] ` <6faad9f00605230205n17131850he3e702269fe9898a@mail.gmail.com>
From: Matt Gushee @ 2006-05-22 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> Since installing the last ConTeXt update I am aware of the message from
> texexec:
>       warning : use 'texmfstart texexec' instead
>
> Good, I call:
>       "texmfstart texexec --version" instead of "texexec --version"
>
> Result:
>       -bash: texmfstart: command not found

I've been away from ConTeXt for a while, so I don't have full knowledge
of the recent changes. But it seems that many of the original Perl
scripts are being replaced by Ruby scripts (of which texmfstart is one),
which are in a different directory.

> Is my system suddenly incomplete?
> I am using Mac OS X 10.4.6, the most recent development I would think.
> What happened and how can I get to the level of system support ConTeXt
> seems to expect of me?

Probably you just need either to put the Ruby script directory
($TEXMF/scripts/context/ruby) on your PATH, or create links from the
scripts you want to use to a directory in your current PATH. Maybe just
link texmfstart--it seems to be a front end for all the Ruby scripts.

Oh, and of course you have to have Ruby itself. I don't know where you
would get an OS X package, but the Ruby language Web site is:

    http://www.ruby-lang.org/

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/

* Re: texmfstart?
@ 2006-05-23 16:43   ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2006-05-23 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Gushee wrote:

> Probably you just need either to put the Ruby script directory
> ($TEXMF/scripts/context/ruby) on your PATH, or create links from the
> scripts you want to use to a directory in your current PATH. Maybe just
> link texmfstart--it seems to be a front end for all the Ruby scripts.

P.S.: I just came across this manual:

     http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mtexmfstart.pdf

--

@ 2006-05-31 11:10   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-05-31 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 23, 2006, at 11:05, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On 5/21/06, Hans van der Meer <hansm@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Since installing the last ConTeXt update I am aware of the message
>> from
>> texexec:
>>       warning : use 'texmfstart texexec' instead
>>
>> Good, I call:
>>       "texmfstart texexec --version" instead of "texexec --version"
>>
>> Result:
>>       -bash: texmfstart: command not found
>>
>> Is my system suddenly incomplete?
>> I am using Mac OS X 10.4.6, the most recent development I would
>> think.
>> What happened and how can I get to the level of system support
>> ConTeXt seems
>> to expect of me?
>
> I don't know how it is on Mac. Under windows I have a binary (cont-win
> on pragma download site), under Linux I create a file "texmfstart"
> with
>    ruby /path-to-tex/texmfstart.rb $*
> (or something similar)
>
> see also the new scripts/context/stubs/mac folder (I didn't check, I
> only suppose that it's there) if anything there can help you.
>
> Mojca

Putting the ruby script in the right path and giving it executing
permissions solved most of the problem.
However there is a warning message left:

TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

               metapost : test-mpgraph
                 format : metafun
This is MetaPost, Version 0.901 (Web2C 7.5.3)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/web2c/natural.tcx)

         total run time : 0 seconds

                warning : use 'texmfstart texexec' instead
[MP to PDF]
(./test-mpgraph.1) (./test.tuo)

Since this message results from the internals of "texmfstart texexec"
it might be a leftover lonely "texexec" in the scripts. I tried to
find it, but could not find my way around the ruby scripts.

Hans van der Meer