* Re: Space between footnote number and text
@ 2006-05-28 13:22 jeffdod
From: jeffdod @ 2006-05-28 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for the response! Here is what I found. The code you suggested...
\def\specialcommand#1{\high{#1}~~~}
\setupfootnotes[n=0,numbercommand=\specialcommand]
\setupfootnotedefinition[distance=0pt]
...actually produced *more* space between the footnote number and the text of the footnote. However, I removed the three tilde (~~~) characters and I got *no* space between the footnote number and text, which is what I wanted to achieve.
A couple of other questions though:
1) My footnotes sometimes still "break" in that the footnote number will be at the end of a line and the footnote text at the beginning of the next line. I tried putting one of the non-breaking space (~) tilde characters back in, just to see if that would prevent the break. However, it *does not* prevent the break...the footnote number and text are still separated. Is there any way to force footnote numbers to be on the same line as the first word of the footnote?
2) Sometimes the last few footnote numbers in the body of my main text appear with a small arrow next to them. These footnotes end up on the next page of text rather than on the page where they are referenced. What is the best solution to this type of thing?
3) Is there a way to turn off hyphenation in the main body of my text, such as with "\nohyphens", but turn *on* hyphenation in the text of the footnotes. My main text is ancient Greek, while my footnotes are mostly English. The Greek is hard to read if it is hyphenated, but I get much better formatting in the footnotes if hyphenation is turned on.
Thanks for the help. I am much closer to what I want now.
Jeff Dodson

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!

* Re: Space between footnote number and text
@ 2006-05-29 13:23 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-29 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

jeffdod@netzero.net wrote:
> Thank you for the response! Here is what I found. The code you suggested...
>
> \def\specialcommand#1{\high{#1}~~~}
> \setupfootnotes[n=0,numbercommand=\specialcommand]
> \setupfootnotedefinition[distance=0pt]
>
> ...actually produced *more* space between the footnote number and the
> text of the footnote. However, I removed the three tilde (~~~)
> characters and I got *no* space between the footnote number and text,
> which is what I wanted to achieve.

That was somewhat on purpose ;)

> A couple of other questions though:

Can you send me an example file? Some trickery is needed,
which is much easier with testable input.

Taco

* Re: Space between footnote number and text
@ 2006-05-30  1:22 jeffdod
From: jeffdod @ 2006-05-30  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I felt a little bad about asking everyone else to do my work for me, so I did take a stab at solving my footnote line-break issue :). I came up with something that seems to work, but I'm not sure it is the simplest or best way to do it. Basically, I used something from your last post (the \specialcommand) to turn off the default footnote number completely and instead include the footnote number as part of the footnote text:
% Create a counter that will act as our footnote labels
\newcounter\MyFootnoteLabel
% Create a special command to turn off the default footnote number
\def\TurnOffDefFootNum#1{}
% Set up footnoting in paragraph form (n=0) with no default footnote number
\setupfootnotes[n=0,way=bypage,numbercommand=\TurnOffDefFootNum]
% Create macro to replace standard footnote macro. This macro will include
% the footnote number as part of the footnote text so that we can keep it from
% getting split onto a different line from the footnote text
\def\fnote#1{\footnote[\MyFootnoteLabel]{\note[\MyFootnoteLabel]~#1}\increment\MyFootnoteLabel}
% Test with some output
\starttext
Now\fnote{Footnote number one} %
is\fnote{Footnote number two} %
the\fnote{Footnote number three} %
time\fnote{Footnote number four} %
for\fnote{Footnote number five} %
all\fnote{Footnote number six} %
good\fnote{Footnote number seven} %
men\fnote{Footnote number eight} %
to\fnote{Footnote number nine} %
come\fnote{Footnote number ten} %
to\fnote{Footnote number eleven} %
the\fnote{Footnote number twelve} %
aid\fnote{Footnote number thirteen} %
of\fnote{Footnote number fourteen} %
their\fnote{Footnote number fifteen} %
country.\fnote{Footnote number sixteen} %
\stoptext
I put a non-breaking space in this example, but it seems to work with no space there as well. It is hard to get a number to split on purpose anyway, but I found that by successively adding "i" characters to any footnote text, I could eventually cause the next footnote to leave its number on one line and its text on the next. However, after the above, the first word of the footnote text seems to stay with the footnote number regardless, which is what I wanted.
I would be interested in knowing though if there is a simpler solution.
Also, any idea what might be causing some whole footnotes to appear on, say, page 11, when the text that references the footnote is on page 10? Is this something I just have to fix by tweaking my main text?

@ 2006-05-28  9:39 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-28  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

jeffdod@netzero.net wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the space between a footnote
> number and the footnote text? I am formatting my footnotes in paragraph
> form (n=0) and sometimes the footnote numbers actually appear at the end
> of a line with the text wrapped around to the beginning of the next line
> (which doesn't look very attractive). I would prefer there to be no
> space at all between the footnote number and the text, but if there has
> to be one, it seems like it should be a non-breaking space. Is there a
> way to "fix" this?

Can you try this?

   \def\specialcommand#1{\high{#1}~~~}
   \setupfootnotes[n=0,numbercommand=\specialcommand]
   \setupfootnotedefinition[distance=0pt]

Cheers, taco

* Space between footnote number and text
@ 2006-05-27 12:49 jeffdod
From: jeffdod @ 2006-05-27 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)