* Re: Index sorting for other languages than English (2)
@ 2006-05-30  7:23 Richard Gabriel
From: Richard Gabriel @ 2006-05-30  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd suggest you to use the extended variant of the \index macro. There you can specify an ASCII equivalent of the word, which will be used for sorting:

\index[soz kesmek]{s\"oz kesmek}
\index[seref]{\c seref}

-Richard

  _____

From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-30  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Gabriel wrote:
> I'd suggest you to use the extended variant of the \index macro. There
> you can specify an ASCII equivalent of the word, which will be used
> for sorting:
>
> \index[soz kesmek]{s\"oz kesmek}
> \index[seref]{\c seref}
actually, supporting multiple indexes with their own sort order is kind
of prepared but never completed, so i'll have a look at it

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-05-30  7:35     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-30  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

R. Ermers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a document in Dutch (\mainlanguage[nl]) in which I quote Turkish
> items, which I want to collect in a separate index, like this:
>
> "Enkele voorbeelden zijn: \quote{oudere zus} \turkish{abla},
> \quote{jongere broer of zus} \turkish{karde\c{s}}, de \quote{zus van
> vader} (\quote{tante}) \turkish{hala, \quote{de zus van moeder}
> \turkish{teyze}. Voor aangetrouwde familieleden gelden soms juist vagere
> termen dan in het Nederlands, bijv. \quote{aangetrouwde tante} en
> \quote{schoonzuster}, \turkish{yenge}."
>
> The index, however, is based on Dutch (mainlanguage). This causes two
> problems:
>
> 1. words with accents, like s\"oz, are not sorted correctly to any standard:
> söz kesmek 76
> saygı 14
> s¸eref 3, 14, 24, 27
>
> 2. letters with diacritics, like \c{s} (under which \c{s}eref is to be
> placed) are not included in the alphabetical listing in the index, which
> of course follows the Dutch alphabet.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?

hm, so we need a mixed sorting mechanism

(in sort-lan.tex you can define a sort order for turkish but it still
concerns the whole doc then)

Hans

* Index sorting for other languages than English (2)
@ 2006-05-30  6:43   ` R. Ermers