* XeTeX working on Windows as well !!!
@ 2006-06-06 15:31 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-06-06 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I have no idea when this came out, but it works like a charm!
    http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html

I didn't try out ConTeXt + XeTeX yet (I only played with plain XeTeX a
bit), but the fact that the distribution includes the latest ConTeXt
(even more recent that the one on the pragma-ade.com, namely the
version of 30th May :) and that it includes texmfstart.exe makes me
feel that I'll love that Japanese TeX distribution!

Mojca

* Re: XeTeX working on Windows as well !!!
@ 2006-06-06 16:59 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-06 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have no idea when this came out, but it works like a charm!
>     http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html
>
> I didn't try out ConTeXt + XeTeX yet (I only played with plain XeTeX a
> bit), but the fact that the distribution includes the latest ConTeXt
> (even more recent that the one on the pragma-ade.com, namely the
> version of 30th May :) and that it includes texmfstart.exe makes me
> feel that I'll love that Japanese TeX distribution!

indeed ptex is always pretty up to date, including recent binaries

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-06-06 17:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-06 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have no idea when this came out, but it works like a charm!
>     http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html
>
> I didn't try out ConTeXt + XeTeX yet (I only played with plain XeTeX a
> bit), but the fact that the distribution includes the latest ConTeXt
> (even more recent that the one on the pragma-ade.com, namely the
> version of 30th May :) and that it includes texmfstart.exe makes me
> feel that I'll love that Japanese TeX distribution!

texexec --make --all --xetex

and after that a file saying:

% output=xetex

\starttext
    It works!
\stoptext

or just:

\starttext
    It works!
\stoptext

texexec --xetex thatfile

works like a charm (produces a pdf file)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-06-06 17:31   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-06-06 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/6/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have no idea when this came out, but it works like a charm!
> >     http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html
> >
> > I didn't try out ConTeXt + XeTeX yet (I only played with plain XeTeX a
> > bit), but the fact that the distribution includes the latest ConTeXt
> > (even more recent that the one on the pragma-ade.com, namely the
> > version of 30th May :) and that it includes texmfstart.exe makes me
> > feel that I'll love that Japanese TeX distribution!
> >
> texexec --make --all --xetex
>
> and after that a file saying:
>
> % output=xetex
>
> \starttext
>     It works!
> \stoptext
>
> or just:
>
> \starttext
>     It works!
> \stoptext
>
> texexec --xetex thatfile
>
> works like a charm (produces a pdf file)
>
> Hans

For some strange reason something fc-related (I guess) started
crashing when I try to change fonts (files that used to work already
are crashing at once). :(

I have a problem with interfering binaries/lack of environmental
variables/some files missing - actually nothing serious (apart from
the problem with crashing), I just have to play a bit with it. It
didn't work out of the box, but I hope that I'll convince it to work
soon.

@ 2006-06-06 17:33     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-06 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 6/6/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have no idea when this came out, but it works like a charm!
>>>     http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html
>>>
>>> I didn't try out ConTeXt + XeTeX yet (I only played with plain XeTeX a
>>> bit), but the fact that the distribution includes the latest ConTeXt
>>> (even more recent that the one on the pragma-ade.com, namely the
>>> version of 30th May :) and that it includes texmfstart.exe makes me
>>> feel that I'll love that Japanese TeX distribution!
>>>

>> texexec --make --all --xetex
>>
>> and after that a file saying:
>>
>> % output=xetex
>>
>> \starttext
>>     It works!
>> \stoptext
>>
>> or just:
>>
>> \starttext
>>     It works!
>> \stoptext
>>
>> texexec --xetex thatfile
>>
>> works like a charm (produces a pdf file)
>>
>> Hans
>>

> For some strange reason something fc-related (I guess) started
> crashing when I try to change fonts (files that used to work already
> are crashing at once). :(

hm, i didn't try that fc stuff yet

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-06-06 18:02       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-06-06 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/6/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
> hm, i didn't try that fc stuff yet

One of the most important things about XeTeX :(

While talking about fonts: do you have any suggestions about (old)
Type1 (ec-encoded) fonts? The problem is that XeTeX handles them as if
they were Latin1/Unicode-encoded (if you type in Yen, you'll get
whatever glyphy is present at that slot independint of font encoding),
so the only way to get other characters from EC encoding is to:
a) "redefine" (make active) some parts of Unicode (\defč{\ccaron})
b) extend XeTeX, so that it knows which glyph is "hidden" on which slot
c) forget about support for Type1 fonts

Another thing to adapt is (again :) the \enableregime macro (see
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Encodings_and_Regimes_in_XeTeX for some
notes about that), so that regimes will work with XeTeX as well. Two
possibilities are:
a) \XeTeXinputencoding "somename" for native XeTeX handling, but with
the same problems with EC fonts as above
b) \XeTeXinputencoding "bytes" + loading the regime definitions with
exactly the same behaviour as in pdfTeX, but without the support for
non-latin regimes

@ 2006-06-06 18:53         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-06 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 6/6/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> hm, i didn't try that fc stuff yet
>>

> One of the most important things about XeTeX :(

but i'm not in that hurry to use the platform fonts -)
> While talking about fonts: do you have any suggestions about (old)
> Type1 (ec-encoded) fonts? The problem is that XeTeX handles them as if
> they were Latin1/Unicode-encoded (if you type in Yen, you'll get
> whatever glyphy is present at that slot independint of font encoding),
> so the only way to get other characters from EC encoding is to:
> a) "redefine" (make active) some parts of Unicode (\def�{\ccaron})

isn't that what \enableregime[ec] does?
> b) extend XeTeX, so that it knows which glyph is "hidden" on which slot
> c) forget about support for Type1 fonts
>
> Another thing to adapt is (again :) the \enableregime macro (see
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Encodings_and_Regimes_in_XeTeX for some
> notes about that), so that regimes will work with XeTeX as well. Two
> possibilities are:
> a) \XeTeXinputencoding "somename" for native XeTeX handling, but with
> the same problems with EC fonts as above
> b) \XeTeXinputencoding "bytes" + loading the regime definitions with
> exactly the same behaviour as in pdfTeX, but without the support for
> non-latin regimes

well, if you prepare a test file (including font defs and a recepi) i can have a look,

Hans

* Re: XeTeX working on Windows as well !!!
@ 2006-06-06 19:46         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-06 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 6/6/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> hm, i didn't try that fc stuff yet
>>

> One of the most important things about XeTeX :(
>

> While talking about fonts: do you have any suggestions about (old)
> Type1 (ec-encoded) fonts? The problem is that XeTeX handles them as if
> they were Latin1/Unicode-encoded (if you type in Yen, you'll get
> whatever glyphy is present at that slot independint of font encoding),
> so the only way to get other characters from EC encoding is to:
> a) "redefine" (make active) some parts of Unicode (\def�{\ccaron})
> b) extend XeTeX, so that it knows which glyph is "hidden" on which slot
> c) forget about support for Type1 fonts
>
> Another thing to adapt is (again :) the \enableregime macro (see
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Encodings_and_Regimes_in_XeTeX for some
> notes about that), so that regimes will work with XeTeX as well. Two
> possibilities are:
> a) \XeTeXinputencoding "somename" for native XeTeX handling, but with
> the same problems with EC fonts as above
> b) \XeTeXinputencoding "bytes" + loading the regime definitions with
> exactly the same behaviour as in pdfTeX, but without the support for
> non-latin regimes

here i get the right characters when i say:

\starttext
    \XeTeXinputencoding "utf8"
    It works! [\eacute][\rawcharacter{233}][é]
    \yen
    \XeTeXinputencoding "bytes" % \enableregime[ec]
    It works! [\eacute][\rawcharacter{233}][é]
    \yen
\stoptext

Do you have an example that fails?

Hans

* Re: XeTeX working on Windows as well !!!
@ 2006-06-06 21:45           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-06-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)