* Re: Angle braces?
       [not found] <mailman.1.1149933601.3349.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2006-06-10 10:27 ` Steven Robertson
From: Steven Robertson @ 2006-06-10 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

It is more than two months old; the tetex i'm using is version 2.0.2 or
somesuch. So an upgrade is definitely due.

On the dvi v pdf question, I'm a bit confused, because I didn't mention
my actual output format. I have actually been outputting things as dvi
for reading on my computer, but printing pdfs. The same problems have
been occurring in both formats, but I might be missing the point of your
question here.

Using \char60 and \char62 gives the same results as using the characters
"<" and ">" in the text, which is are upside down question mark and
explanation mark (which I can't easily type into this email to demonstrate).

I will have a try at updating the fonts, and failing that, the whole
tetex system.

Thanks for the tip on the mirrors, and the help.
-Steven

ntg-context-request@ntg.nl wrote:
>>The angle braces I'm after are the ones that go around URLs in
>>citations, as in
>>
>>[12] Smith, `Article on Things', available at <www.smith.com>.
>>
>>It's been suggested to me elsewhere that I upgrade my ConTeXt version,
>>so hopefully that will help.
>

> Well ... if it's more than two months old, it might already be ancient ;)
> Also consider updating the fonts.
>
> Why are you using dvi instead of PDF?
>

>>I'll have a look around and see if there
>>are particular angle braces that should be used for the above purpose
>>(i.e. not greater-than/less-than or guillemots--they are `double', but
>>Ithe suggestion is appreciated).
>

> The example works OK here. Which font are you using? Most probably
> either the font is old/broken or the two characters are active.
>
> What do you get if you type:
>     foo \char60 bar\char62 foo?
> (You may never type like that, but just for debugging puposes.)
>
> Mojca
>
> Btw: there are two mirrors of Pragma website (see links on
> wiki.contextgarden.net).

* Re: Angle braces?
@ 2006-06-10 17:17   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-06-10 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/10/06, Steven Robertson wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> It is more than two months old; the tetex i'm using is version 2.0.2 or
> somesuch. So an upgrade is definitely due.

Well, if you want to say that "texexec --version" (now ctxtools
--contextversion) returns something around 2002, please don't ever try
to mention that on this list if you want to stay alive ;)

Best download justtext.zip and linuxtex.zip from www.pragma-ade.com,
extract them to some folder of your choice and execute ". setuptex" in
your .bashrc. And then do "ctxtools --update" every tho weeks ;)

teTeX isn't maintaind any more.

Mojca

* Re: Angle braces?
@ 2006-06-11  7:49     ` Steven Robertson
From: Steven Robertson @ 2006-06-11  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 6/10/06, Steven Robertson wrote:
>
>>Hi Mojca,
>>
>>It is more than two months old; the tetex i'm using is version 2.0.2 or
>>somesuch. So an upgrade is definitely due.
>

> Well, if you want to say that "texexec --version" (now ctxtools
> --contextversion) returns something around 2002, please don't ever try
> to mention that on this list if you want to stay alive ;)

Thanks for the safety tip :)

> Best download justtext.zip and linuxtex.zip from www.pragma-ade.com,
> extract them to some folder of your choice and execute ". setuptex" in
> your .bashrc. And then do "ctxtools --update" every tho weeks ;)
>
> teTeX isn't maintaind any more.

And thanks for these two tips too. I've since sorted out the original
angles problem by explicitly loading a font - which I think to do
otherwise, since the default worked for the most part.

Thanks for the help,
-Steven

> Mojca

* Re: Angle braces?
@ 2006-06-10  5:19     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-06-10  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-06-10  0:56   ` Steven Robertson
From: Steven Robertson @ 2006-06-10  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Matthias, thanks for your reply.

The angle braces I'm after are the ones that go around URLs in
citations, as in

[12] Smith, `Article on Things', available at <www.smith.com>.

It's been suggested to me elsewhere that I upgrade my ConTeXt version,
so hopefully that will help. I'll have a look around and see if there
are particular angle braces that should be used for the above purpose
(i.e. not greater-than/less-than or guillemots--they are `double', but
Ithe suggestion is appreciated).

Thanks,
Steven

Matthias Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this depends -- different fonts contain different kinds of 'angle
> braces',
> depending on their purpose. Do you want them for (french style)
> quotations, or for typesetting math?
>
> The following is a set of examples -- they might look very different
> with other fonts.
>
> Matthias
>

> (\langle and \rangle is math mode only I believe)
>
> \setuplanguage [en] [rightquote=\rightguillemot,leftquote=
> \leftguillemot]
>

> \starttext
>
> foo \leftguillemot bar\rightguillemot{} foo
> \leftsubguillemot bar\rightsubguillemot{}
> foo $\langle \text{bar}\rangle$ foo.
>

> foo \quote{bar} foo
> \stoptext
>

> On Jun 7, 2006, at 3:35 AM, Steven Robertson wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Annoyingly simple question -- apologies -- but I'm having no luck from
>>the web. The ConTeXt wiki isn't turning up anything, and the pragma
>>site
>>seems to be broken, so I can't access the ConTeXt manual. So:
>>
>>What are the commands in ConTeXt to get angled braces, i.e. `<' and
>>'>'?
>>I've got is \langle and \rangle respectively, but these aren't
>>resulting
>>in output -- the dvi has nothing where they should be - "foo bar foo"
>>instead of "foo <bar> foo". Using the braces themselves, eg
>>
>>\starttext
>>foo <bar> foo
>>\stoptext
>>
>>gives me upside-down exclamation and question marks, for left and
>>right
>>braces respectively.
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>
>>-Steven

* Re: Angle braces?
@ 2006-06-08 13:26 ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2006-06-08 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

this depends -- different fonts contain different kinds of 'angle
braces',
depending on their purpose. Do you want them for (french style)
quotations, or for typesetting math?

The following is a set of examples -- they might look very different
with other fonts.

Matthias

(\langle and \rangle is math mode only I believe)

\setuplanguage [en] [rightquote=\rightguillemot,leftquote=
\leftguillemot]

\starttext

foo \leftguillemot bar\rightguillemot{} foo
\leftsubguillemot bar\rightsubguillemot{}
foo $\langle \text{bar}\rangle$ foo.

foo \quote{bar} foo
\stoptext

On Jun 7, 2006, at 3:35 AM, Steven Robertson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Annoyingly simple question -- apologies -- but I'm having no luck from
> the web. The ConTeXt wiki isn't turning up anything, and the pragma
> site
> seems to be broken, so I can't access the ConTeXt manual. So:
>
> What are the commands in ConTeXt to get angled braces, i.e. `<' and
> '>'?
> I've got is \langle and \rangle respectively, but these aren't
> resulting
> in output -- the dvi has nothing where they should be - "foo bar foo"
> instead of "foo <bar> foo". Using the braces themselves, eg
>
> \starttext
> foo <bar> foo
> \stoptext
>
> gives me upside-down exclamation and question marks, for left and
> right
> braces respectively.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> -Steven