* texmfstart trouble
@ 2006-06-14 10:35 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-06-14 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recently I reported 2 problems related to metapost usage:
1. the loss of transparent color handling
2. textext not being able to handle %'s as in textext("15\%")

The source of both problems can be nailed down to the one change in
supp-mps.tex:
\ifx\TEXEXECcommand \undefined \def\TEXEXECcommand{texmfstart
texexec} \fi
If I understand correctly, this effectuates a change from the perl to
the ruby scripts.
Removing the texmfstart solves the problem.

I compared two runs for the transparency problem in order to see if
there is some clue:
1. Both mp-files turn out being the same (except for the random seed).
2. The mpgraph.1 files differ only slightly, except for a few
roundoff differences:
	new format extra lines: (but not a problem, I would guess)
	%%MetaPostSpecials: 2.0 123 1000
	%%HiResBoundingBox: -5.66927 -5.66927 359.9991 119.05481
	%%MetaPostSpecial: 7 1 1 1 1 0.94118 1 3

I had in my .bashrc:
CONTEXT_RUBYSCRIPTS=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/scripts/
context/ruby/
export CONTEXT_RUBYSCRIPTS
and had CONTEXT_RUBYSCRIPTS in my path.
Carefully had the executable and read-allowance bits set on all the
ruby scripts.

I guess it must have something to do with the ruby scripts, probably
MacOSX unique, I fear.
Something done differently with regard to the perl scripts perhaps?
Taco already hinted at the possibility of some end-of-line problem.
Alas, my knowledge of ruby is nonexistent, so I have no idea what and
where to look for.
I tried hard to find a solution, but I really have no firm idea what
could cause these problems.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: texmfstart trouble
@ 2006-06-15 11:21 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-06-15 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> 2. The mpgraph.1 files differ only slightly, except for a few roundoff
> differences:
> new format extra lines: (but not a problem, I would guess)
> %%MetaPostSpecials: 2.0 123 1000
> %%HiResBoundingBox: -5.66927 -5.66927 359.9991 119.05481
> %%MetaPostSpecial: 7 1 1 1 1 0.94118 1 3

Believe it or not, but this is a known problem within web2c.
It is triggered by an interaction between the new texexec
and having two different entries in texmf.cnf for Metaposts
memory size, for example like this:

   main_memory.mpost        = 500000
   main_memory.metafun      = 3000000

Now, the metafun format is generated as "mpost", but the
graphics are created as "metafun", and the different memory
sizes make the specials go disappear.

Strangely, I thought Hans and I had fixed by that a few weeks
back by changing the mpost commandlines, but apparently we didn't.

A workaround (while we sort this out) is to make sure that the
.mpost and .metafun settings use the same (highest) number.

Taco

* Re: texmfstart trouble
@ 2006-06-16 21:25 ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-06-16 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 14, 2006, at 12:35, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Recently I reported 2 problems related to metapost usage:
> 1. the loss of transparent color handling
> 2. textext not being able to handle %'s as in textext("15\%")

The first problem seems to be solved by Taco's remark:

> Believe it or not, but this is a known problem within web2c.
> It is triggered by an interaction between the new texexec
> and having two different entries in texmf.cnf for Metaposts
> memory size, for example like this:
>
>    main_memory.mpost        = 500000
>    main_memory.metafun      = 3000000
>
> Now, the metafun format is generated as "mpost", but the
> graphics are created as "metafun", and the different memory
> sizes make the specials go disappear.

I checked my texmf.cnf in teTeX's main directory ../teTeX/share/texmf
(the one I use) and to my surprise found the complete absence there
of main_memory.metafun although context itself is present. Addding
and regenerating metafun repared the "broken transparency" problem. I
have further to investigate why apparently context.cnf seems not to
have been read or being effective, because there main_memory.metafun
is present!

Thanks Taco for your remark, although it took some time before I
realised that this remark of yours could be the key to the problem.

However the breaking of the handling of "\%"'s in textext was not
solved by this repair.
Will there be a fix in the forseeable future?

Taco wrote in reply to my first signalling the problem:
> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>
>> I am afraid a serious error has been introduced into textext in
>> the last
>> update(s).
>>
>> This used to work in metapost for typesetting text with a %-sign:
>>
>> label(textext("66\%"), origin);
>>
>> Now the % somewhere ends a line prematurely because the job aborts
>> with:
>> ! mpx file ended unexpectedly.
>>
>> Can Hans please repair this, suddenly a lot of my typesetting is
>> broken.
>>

> Verified.
>
> Thanks for analizing this, I was wondering where those
>    ! mpx file ended unexpectedly.
> messages came from in a document Mojca sent me.
>
> Taco

Hans van der Meer

* Re: texmfstart trouble
@ 2006-06-16 22:13   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-16 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> However the breaking of the handling of "\%"'s in textext was not
> solved by this repair.
> Will there be a fix in the forseeable future?
i'll check it, for the moment use: \percent\

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE