* Optional Arguments for cite
@ 2006-05-08  5:48 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-05-08  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

  Latex provides an optional argument for \cite. For example, if I want
to refer to something on page 4 of a paper, I can say.... see
\cite[page~4]{key}. This is typeset as [3, page 4] where 3 is the
reference number.

How can I do something like this with the bib module. Note that I can
not use the page key from the bib file, as the page key stores the
page numbers of the paper. I want to cite a specific page (or theorem
or ....) of the paper.

Thanks,
Aditya

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008

* Re: Optional Arguments for cite
@ 2006-05-08  6:57 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-05-08  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not Taco...

buy have a look at section 3.2 of the bibtex manual:

\cite[extras={page~4}][key]

HTH

Thomas

@ 2006-05-08  6:59 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-08  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
>   Latex provides an optional argument for \cite. For example, if I want
> to refer to something on page 4 of a paper, I can say.... see
> \cite[page~4]{key}. This is typeset as [3, page 4] where 3 is the
> reference number.

You can use
	\cite[key][extras=page~4]

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Optional Arguments for cite
@ 2006-05-08  7:03   ` Taco Hoekwater
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-08  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> I'm not Taco...

Looks like you got the better solution, even so ;-)

> buy have a look at section 3.2 of the bibtex manual:
>
> \cite[extras={page~4}][key]

Taco

* Re: Optional Arguments for cite
@ 2006-05-08  7:23     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-05-08  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 8 May 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> I'm not Taco...
>
> Looks like you got the better solution, even so ;-)
>
>> buy have a look at section 3.2 of the bibtex manual:
>>
>> \cite[extras={page~4}][key]

Thanks Thomas and Taco.

Aditya

--

@ 2006-05-08  8:27     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-05-08  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 8, 2006, at 9:03 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> I'm not Taco...
>
> Looks like you got the better solution, even so ;-)
>
>> buy have a look at section 3.2 of the bibtex manual:
>>
>> \cite[extras={page~4}][key]
>>

> Taco

I nagged you into implementing this... :-)

Thomas

* Re: Optional Arguments for cite
@ 2006-05-09 10:34     ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2006-05-09 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-05-14 22:26   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-05-14 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

From:    "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
> but have a look at section 3.2 of the bibtex manual:
> \cite[extras={page~4}][key]

Just what I needed too, thanks.

But should it be

  \cite[extras={, page~4}][key]

Otherwise I get, e.g. (Aamport, 1986bpage 4) as the reference.
(using t-bib.tex 2006.04.11).

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

* Re: Optional Arguments for cite
@ 2006-06-20 12:25     ` Steve Peter
From: Steve Peter @ 2006-06-20 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 20, 2006, at 8:46 AM, John R. Culleton wrote:

> My bibtex manual is from Boris Patashnik

Boris? I wonder if he is related to Oren.

* Re: Optional Arguments for cite
@ 2006-06-20 12:35       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-20 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Peter wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2006, at 8:46 AM, John R. Culleton wrote:
>

>> My bibtex manual is from Boris Patashnik
>>

> Boris? I wonder if he is related to Oren.

as a multi-linguist you should be able to know a way to go from Oren to
Boris -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-06-20 12:46   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-06-20 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 08 May 2006 02:57, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> I'm not Taco...
>
> buy have a look at section 3.2 of the bibtex manual:
>
> \cite[extras={page~4}][key]
>
> HTH
>
> Thomas

Whazzup? My bibtex manual is from Boris Patashnik and has no
Section 3.2. Where is the URL for the newer manual?

(Awaking from a long slumber)
--
John Culleton

* Re: Optional Arguments for cite
@ 2006-06-20 13:15     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-06-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Monday 08 May 2006 02:57, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>>I'm not Taco...
>>
>>buy have a look at section 3.2 of the bibtex manual:
>>
>>\cite[extras={page~4}][key]
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Thomas
>
> Whazzup? My bibtex manual is from Boris Patashnik and has no
> Section 3.2. Where is the URL for the newer manual?

Thomas meant to say "bib module manual", and that is at

    http://modules.contextgarden.net/bib

Cheers, Taco