* arab (omega)
@ 2006-06-23 18:59 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-23 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi otp lovers,

i managed to get this number stuff running (i.e. bypass the otp messing
up numbers):

i'm uploading a beta

beware, there is no need to setup separators, and no need to reverse
numbers!

\def\ArabicUTF
  {\ArabicDirGlobal
   \usefiltersequence[UTFArabic]%
   \switchtobodyfont[omarb]%
   \isolateseparators} % will handle separators

of course you should not expect proper kerning when isolation is used with latin

things like this actually need some advanced control (special otp's for difference situations, depending on what one's dealing with, then to be hooked into the code at the right place, which is tricky since it may get lost later one etc etc)

still messed up: math display formulas, strange number reversion and swapping l/r [since omega has bugs with math i'm not sure what is the reason]

maybe duncan/idris/taco have an idea

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: arab (omega)
@ 2006-06-24 16:37 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-06-24 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thank you very much for this; will test in the coming days (I have not
updated ConTeXt since Jan 28; hope there are are no deadly installation
surprises-) )

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:59:59 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi otp lovers,

Well, `love' is much too strong a word ;-)

> i managed to get this number stuff running (i.e. bypass the otp messing
> up numbers):

How does this happen? I know the otp's have it so that numerals are always
typeset l-r, is there some nasty side-effect?

Hmm just checked:

5792-684

and

5792{}-{}684

produce two different results; the second one is correct. The otp includes
the separator as part of the number (unless it is isolated-) I will look
at the responsible otp to see if I can fix this at the otp level.

> i'm uploading a beta
>
> beware, there is no need to setup separators, and no need to reverse
> numbers!
>
> \def\ArabicUTF
>   {\ArabicDirGlobal
>    \usefiltersequence[UTFArabic]%
>    \switchtobodyfont[omarb]%
>    \isolateseparators} % will handle separators

Ah! you also isolate the separators; should be possible in the otp...

> of course you should not expect proper kerning when isolation is used
> with latin

Why is this?

> things like this actually need some advanced control (special otp's for
> difference situations, depending on what one's dealing with, then to be
> hooked into the code at the right place, which is tricky since it may
> get lost later one etc etc)
>
> still messed up: math display formulas, strange number reversion and
> swapping l/r [since omega has bugs with math i'm not sure what is the
> reason]
>
> maybe duncan/idris/taco have an idea

I will look at it; need examples etc.

Thnx as always

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: arab (omega)
@ 2006-06-24 17:25   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-06-24 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater

I found the problem:

In uni2cuni.otp the numbering handling does two things:

It DOES isolate non-numerals as separators within a given expression. So
placing an Arabic letter between two numbers

5792ر684

processes fine; each individual number gets reversed.

But the otp makes exceptions for the following punctuation:

+ - .

If we get rid of those exceptions the separator problem will go away. But
then math will be messed up. The problem is that the

+ - .

are ambiguous; sometimes they have a mathematical significance; sometimes
a separator significance. We need the exception for math (generally done
the usual l-r way) but don't need it for separators (done in the r-l way).

What I could do is define two filter sequences: UTFArabic and
UTFArabicMath. Hans, could you do a conditional that calls up one in math
mode and the other everywhere else?

This is a stop-gap solution until we replace otp's with something smarter.
Taco, Hans, let me know what you think before I work on this.

It is really inefficient to have to define an entire ot stack just to
change one otp. There must be a better way to abtract things so we can
plug a given otp without redoing the entire stack.

Best
Idris

--

@ 2006-06-25  6:37   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-06-25  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

>>of course you should not expect proper kerning when isolation is used
>>with latin
>
> Why is this?

A figure id like in "1.2" can have kerning between the 1 and dot,
and the dot and 2. But when it is coded as "1{.}2", it won't.

>>still messed up: math display formulas, strange number reversion and
>>swapping l/r [since omega has bugs with math i'm not sure what is the
>>reason]
>>
>>maybe duncan/idris/taco have an idea

It looks like the displays in aleph are a bit broken if you mix RL text
with LR math. I'll have a closer look.

Taco

* Re: arab (omega)
@ 2006-06-25  8:08     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-06-25  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> But the otp makes exceptions for the following punctuation:
>
> + - .
>
> If we get rid of those exceptions the separator problem will go away. But
> then math will be messed up. The problem is that the

My guess is you could just remove the punctuation support from the
current OTP. If a user really needs to say "1.2 million", (s)he can
just write  $1.2$ instead, which is more or less standard TeX
practice anyway.

It is my understanding that the contents of $$ is unaffected by
OTPs (and if it is not, it should be made so. Math is a language
on its own).

> This is a stop-gap solution until we replace otp's with something smarter.
> Taco, Hans, let me know what you think before I work on this.

TeX will never be smart enough to understand that "see figure 1.2" is
fundamentally different from "averaging 1.2 figures per page". Not until
it can actually interpret English text, anyway.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: arab (omega)
@ 2006-06-25 15:57   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-25 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Why is this?

tex itself does things, like with fi not being the same as f{}i [no lig
building] and since otp's may insert things as well abc may different
may differen from a{}b{}c (i must admit that i don't know when an otp
stops scanning, i suppose at an unexpandable thingie

(taco knows where what matters -)
Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: arab (omega)
@ 2006-06-25 16:01     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-25 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> I found the problem:
>
> In uni2cuni.otp the numbering handling does two things:
>
> It DOES isolate non-numerals as separators within a given expression. So
> placing an Arabic letter between two numbers
>
> 5792ر684
>
> processes fine; each individual number gets reversed.
>
> But the otp makes exceptions for the following punctuation:
>
> + - .
>
> If we get rid of those exceptions the separator problem will go away. But
> then math will be messed up. The problem is that the
>
> + - .
>
> are ambiguous; sometimes they have a mathematical significance; sometimes
> a separator significance. We need the exception for math (generally done
> the usual l-r way) but don't need it for separators (done in the r-l way).

isn't it simplier then to disable otp's in math mode
> What I could do is define two filter sequences: UTFArabic and
> UTFArabicMath. Hans, could you do a conditional that calls up one in math
> mode and the other everywhere else?

\appendtoks
    < reset otps >
   < intialize other sequence of thenm>
\to \everymathematics
> This is a stop-gap solution until we replace otp's with something smarter.
> Taco, Hans, let me know what you think before I work on this.
>
> It is really inefficient to have to define an entire ot stack just to
> change one otp. There must be a better way to abtract things so we can
> plug a given otp without redoing the entire stack.

i suppose that switching is fast, so using a different stack was what came on my mind first

Hans

* Re: arab (omega)
@ 2006-06-25 17:38       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-06-25 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dev-orientaltex

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 02:08:37 -0600, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
wrote:

> My guess is you could just remove the punctuation support from the
> current OTP. If a user really needs to say "1.2 million", (s)he can
> just write  $1.2$ instead, which is more or less standard TeX
> practice anyway.
>
> It is my understanding that the contents of $$ is unaffected by
> OTPs (and if it is not, it should be made so. Math is a language
> on its own).

ok, it's done. The new ocp is here:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/images/2/27/Uni2cuni.zip

and the instructions are here:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Aleph_Guide#Installing

Now, in normal text, +, -, and . are treated as separators, not plus sign,
minus, and decimal point. If you want math use $$ etc. but then you will
get the math font not omarb (which is standard practice in the
Arabic-script world).

I have no idea if this affects Hans' solution (have not upgraded yet);
this is all experimental so things may change.

An aside: Classical Arabic is more sensical. Consider the number 3721. In
classical Arabic one says, "one and twenty and and seven hundred and three
thousand", which makes much more sense for a r-l language. So one would
write the numeral from r to l and it would look the same. How decimals
would be handled in the classical case needs a bit of research

Best
Idris

--

@ 2006-06-25 18:34       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-06-25 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:01:03 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> isn't it simplier then to disable otp's in math mode
>> What I could do is define two filter sequences: UTFArabic and
>> UTFArabicMath. Hans, could you do a conditional that calls up one in
>> math
>> mode and the other everywhere else?
>>

> \appendtoks
>     < reset otps >
>    < intialize other sequence of thenm>
> \to \everymathematics

Sometimes someone may want to use the numerals from the omarb in a
mathematical context so this may still be useful. Will work on it...

Best
Idris

--

@ 2006-06-25 19:54         ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-06-25 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

I have redone this. Now there are two filter sequences, one for main text
and one for using the arabic-font digits in math mode.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Aleph_Guide#Installing

has been updated, get the new uni2cuni.zip. I'll update m-gamma soon so
this will be part of the distro if Hans accepts-)

Here is a test file that works here. Note (see the sqrt example) that
omarb apparently does not have U+066B, the Arabic decimal point. And the
Arabic comma maps to the lm comma in math mode (since omarb maps the
arabic comma to U+002C in the omarb virtual
font-sigh). So there is further work needed to get this all just right,
including recompiling the fonts etc...

Best
Idris

% tex=aleph output=dvipdfmx

\usetypescriptfile[type-omg]
\usetypescript[OmegaArab]
\hoffset=0pt

%% Individual Filters
% Input filters (from what you type)
\definefiltersynonym [UTF8]      [inutf8]

% Contextual filter
\definefiltersynonym [UniCUni]            [uni2cuni]

\definefiltersynonym [UniCUniMath]        [uni2cuni-math]

% Output filters (font mapping)
\definefiltersynonym [CUniArab]           [cuni2oar]

%% Filter Sequences
\definefiltersequence
   [UTFArabic]
   [UTF8,UniCUni,CUniArab]

\definefiltersequence
   [UTFArabicMath]
   [UTF8,UniCUniMath,CUniArab]

\appendtoks
     \clearocplists
     \usefiltersequence[UTFArabicMath]
\to \everymathematics

% For global Arabic script

\def\ArabicDirGlobal{%
\pagedir TRT\bodydir TRT\textdir TRT\pardir TRT }%

\def\ArabicUTF{\ArabicDirGlobal\usefiltersequence[UTFArabic]
                 \reversesectionnumberstrue\switchtobodyfont[omarb]}

\ArabicUTF

\starttext

5792-684 $5792-684$ ${\tf 5792-684}$

2.5 $\sqrt{\tf 2.5}$

2,5 $\sqrt{\tf 2،5}$ $\sqrt{\tf 2,5}$

\stoptext

--

@ 2006-06-26 20:14   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-06-26 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 01:56:03 -0600, Duncan Hothersall <dh@capdm.com> wrote:

> I'm very grateful for all the effort on this. I had some trouble
> installing the new ConTeXt beta to test it at the weekend and spent most
> of Sunday trying to understand why... But at least I am now in a
> position to be a tester of the new filter sequences together with the
> new beta.

Well, I'm still using an old context myself so it does not matter for the
otp's...

  My revised test files are again at

> http://www.capdm.com/public/context/figtest.tex
> and
> http://www.capdm.com/public/context/figtest.pdf

Does not work here; can't download the pdf...

> Idris, I pasted your maths stuff into the preamble and the test content
> as well;

That was Hans' guidance at work:-)

> is this what you expected to see from your test? I wasn't sure,
> but it looks good to me.

Can you send me the pdf file directly? Anyway, omarb needs an
Arabic-script decimal or else map the Arabic comma to it in math mode.

The very best
Idris

--

@ 2006-06-26 14:21   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-26 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duncan Hothersall wrote:
> Hans, in Friday's beta, core-sec.tex line 767 has
>
> \edef\levelstring{=\flistsectionseparator\@@filternumberpart[#1]\sectionseparator}%
>
> which fails not knowing what \flistsectionseparator is. Reverting to
>
> \edef\levelstring{=\sectionseparator\@@filternumberpart[#1]\sectionseparator}%
>
> works but may not be the intended effect.

hm, must be some typo indeed

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: arab (omega)
       [not found] <mailman.196.1151291766.1824.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2006-06-26  9:59 ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2006-06-26  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans, in Friday's beta, core-sec.tex line 767 has

\edef\levelstring{=\flistsectionseparator\@@filternumberpart[#1]\sectionseparator}%

which fails not knowing what \flistsectionseparator is. Reverting to

\edef\levelstring{=\sectionseparator\@@filternumberpart[#1]\sectionseparator}%

works but may not be the intended effect.

Duncan

@ 2006-06-26  7:56 ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2006-06-26  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris wrote:

> Dear gang,
>
> I have redone this. Now there are two filter sequences, one for main text
> and one for using the arabic-font digits in math mode.
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Aleph_Guide#Installing
>
> has been updated, get the new uni2cuni.zip. I'll update m-gamma soon so
> this will be part of the distro if Hans accepts-)

I'm very grateful for all the effort on this. I had some trouble
installing the new ConTeXt beta to test it at the weekend and spent most
of Sunday trying to understand why... But at least I am now in a
position to be a tester of the new filter sequences together with the
new beta. My revised test files are again at

http://www.capdm.com/public/context/figtest.tex
and
http://www.capdm.com/public/context/figtest.pdf

these were regenrated this morning with the latest versions of everything.

Please note that I had to remove the \isolateseparators in order to see
my alternative "-" separator; with \isolateseparators specified the dot
stayed resolutely in place. But the great news is that this also makes
the figure reference work, which is fantastic. Note that there is now no
need for \reversesectionnumberstrue.

Idris, I pasted your maths stuff into the preamble and the test content
as well; is this what you expected to see from your test? I wasn't sure,
but it looks good to me.

Thanks again. Happy to test further for anyone/anything.

Duncan