* continuous numbering of subsection
@ 2006-06-25 15:50 Ulf Martin
From: Ulf Martin @ 2006-06-25 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt Experts

I am still sometimes confused about how to set up simple things...

I want to have a subsection level head type ("topic") with a numbering
that runs undependently from the section numbering, like so:

1. First Topic

I. Section One

2. Second Topic

3. Third Topic

4. Fourth Topic

II. Section Two

5. Fifth Topic

6. Sixth Topic

III. Section Three

And so on.

ConTeXtgarden, the manual, etc. show in great detail how to set up the
/appearence/ of head parts (incl. numbercommand), but I cannot find an
explanation of the handling of the LaTeX equivalent to counters (their
definition, incrementing, resetting, etc.). The explanation of
\setupheadnumber in the manual (p. 172) is quite obscure to me -- how do
I specify that I do not want higher levels of head to reset my numbering?

Thank you!
Ulf Martin

* Re: continuous numbering of subsection
@ 2006-06-25 16:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-25 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ulf Martin wrote:
> Dear ConTeXt Experts
>
> I am still sometimes confused about how to set up simple things...
>
> I want to have a subsection level head type ("topic") with a numbering
> that runs undependently from the section numbering, like so:
>
> 1. First Topic
>
> I. Section One
>
> 2. Second Topic
>
> 3. Third Topic
>
> 4. Fourth Topic
>
> II. Section Two
>
> 5. Fifth Topic
>
> 6. Sixth Topic
>
> III. Section Three
>
> And so on.
>
> ConTeXtgarden, the manual, etc. show in great detail how to set up the
> /appearence/ of head parts (incl. numbercommand), but I cannot find an
> explanation of the handling of the LaTeX equivalent to counters (their
> definition, incrementing, resetting, etc.). The explanation of
> \setupheadnumber in the manual (p. 172) is quite obscure to me -- how do
> I specify that I do not want higher levels of head to reset my numbering?

i admit that it's a bit fuzzy ... (some day i'll make this more
transparent)

\setuphead   [chapter][resetnumber=no]
\setupsection[section][previousnumber=no]

\chapter{Section One}
\section{Second Topic}
\section{Third Topic}
\section{Fourth Topic}

\chapter{Section Two}
\section{Fifth Topic}
\section{Sixth Topic}

\chapter{Section Three}

\stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-06-25 17:36   ` Ulf Martin
From: Ulf Martin @ 2006-06-25 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Hans Hagen schrieb:
 > \setuphead   [chapter][resetnumber=no]
 > \setupsection[section][previousnumber=no]

Ok, I undestand. I apologise that my example was too short. I'd like to
have things more flexible:

If an arbitrary and irregular number of levels is introduced (sections,
subsections, etc., numbered hierarchically as usual), the topic
numbering should remain continuous and unaffected
(that's why I thought, a separate definition, as in
\definehead[topic][...], would be appropriate).

Conceptually, though, "topic" is a section-like subdivision, so, for
example, should appear in the TOC.

This is typical e.g. in (German) law texts (here with "§" as a topic
marker but this is not the point), Example:

I. ... "Chapter"
             § 1 ...
    1 ... "Section"
             § 2 ...  Topic in section
      1.1 ... "Subsection"
             § 3 ...  Topic in subsection
             § 4 ...
      1.2  ...
             § 5 ...
    2 ...
             § 6 ...
             § 7 ...
      2.1  ...
             § 8 ...
II. ...
             § 9 ...  Topic in chapter
    1 ...
             § 10 ...
             § 11 ...
      1.1  ...
             § 12 ...

Of course, referencing, entry in TOC, index etc. should be correct.

It would be even more preferable if one could "attach" the topic
numbering to a specified level, say, chapters. The above example then
would become:

I. ... "Chapter"
             § 1 ...  Topic in chapter
    1 ... "Section"
             § 2 ...  Topic in section
      1.1 ... "Subsection"
             § 3 ...  Topic in subsection
             § 4 ...
      1.2  ...
             § 5 ...
    2 ...
             § 6 ...
             § 7 ...
      2.1  ...
             § 8 ...
II. ...
             § 1 ...  First topic in second chapter
    1 ...
             § 2
             § 3
      1.1  ...
             § 4  ...

Thank you & sorry for the incomplete first question!
Ulf

* Re: continuous numbering of subsection
@ 2006-06-26  7:23   ` Ulf Martin
From: Ulf Martin @ 2006-06-26  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> \setuphead   [chapter][resetnumber=no]
> \setupsection[section][previousnumber=no]

I do not quite understand the reseting mechanism.

I want a lowest level section-like subdivision that has a running number
which is unaffected by any of the above levels irrespective of the
existence of higher levels. The higher levels should be numbered
hierarchically as usual.

When I try

\setuphead[section][resetnumber=no]
\setuphead[subsection][resetnumber=no]
\setupsection[subsubsection][previousnumber=no]

The subsubsection number is indeed not reset if *all* higher levels are
present; but if I leave one out, it is reset; additionally the
subsection is of course not reset, which I don't want:

\section{One}
\subsection{Oneone}
\subsubsection{Topicone}    % number = 1, OK
\subsection{Onetwo}
\subsubsection{Topictwo}    % number = 2, OK
\section{Two}
\subsubsection{Topicthree}  % number = 1, wrong
\subsection{Twoone}         % number = 2.3, wrong
\subsubsection{Topicfour}   % number = 2, wrong
\subsection{Twotwo}         % number = 2.4, wrong
\subsubsection{Topicfive}   % number = 3, wrong

With this:

\setuphead[section][resetnumber=yes]
\setuphead[subsection][resetnumber=no]
\setupsection[subsubsection][previousnumber=no]

I get:

\section{One}
\subsection{Oneone}
\subsubsection{Topicone}    % number = 1, OK
\subsection{Onetwo}
\subsubsection{Topictwo}    % number = 2, OK
\section{Two}
\subsubsection{Topicthree}  % number = 1, wrong
\subsection{Twoone}         % number = 2.1, now OK
\subsubsection{Topicfour}   % number = 2, wrong
\subsection{Twotwo}         % number = 2.2, now OK
\subsubsection{Topicfive}   % number = 3, wrong

So the numbering of \subsubsection{Topicthree} is reset by
\section{Two}, irrespective of the latter's resetnumber option.

Here are examples of what I'd really like (here "§" indicates a topic,
the actual section-level names (like "chapter" etc.) are not important):

[...]

numbering to a specified level. If the topic were attached to chapters
then the above example would become:

I. ... "Chapter"
              § 1 ...  Topic in chapter
     1 ... "Section"
              § 2 ...  Topic in section
       1.1 ... "Subsection"
              § 3 ...  Topic in subsection
              § 4 ...
       1.2  ...
              § 5 ...
     2 ...
              § 6 ...
              § 7 ...
       2.1  ...
              § 8 ...
II. ...
              § 1 ...  First topic in second chapter
     1 ...
              § 2
              § 3
       1.1  ...
              § 4  ...

One could summarize it this way: §'s are conceptually the lowest level
of subsections, their number is reset by a subsection of some higher
level (or never).

In LaTeX one can get this kind of behaviour because the numbering is
controlled by counters. The increment of one counter may be used to
reset another counter independent of the actual section level they are
used for.

Bye & Thank you all

Ulf