From: Ulf Martin <ulfmartin@web.de>
Subject: Re: continuous numbering of subsection
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:23:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> \setuphead   [chapter][resetnumber=no]
> \setupsection[section][previousnumber=no]

I do not quite understand the reseting mechanism.

I want a lowest level section-like subdivision that has a running number
which is unaffected by any of the above levels irrespective of the
existence of higher levels. The higher levels should be numbered
hierarchically as usual.

When I try

\setuphead[section][resetnumber=no]
\setuphead[subsection][resetnumber=no]
\setupsection[subsubsection][previousnumber=no]

The subsubsection number is indeed not reset if *all* higher levels are
present; but if I leave one out, it is reset; additionally the
subsection is of course not reset, which I don't want:

\section{One}
\subsection{Oneone}
\subsubsection{Topicone}    % number = 1, OK
\subsection{Onetwo}
\subsubsection{Topictwo}    % number = 2, OK
\section{Two}
\subsubsection{Topicthree}  % number = 1, wrong
\subsection{Twoone}         % number = 2.3, wrong
\subsubsection{Topicfour}   % number = 2, wrong
\subsection{Twotwo}         % number = 2.4, wrong
\subsubsection{Topicfive}   % number = 3, wrong

With this:

\setuphead[section][resetnumber=yes]
\setuphead[subsection][resetnumber=no]
\setupsection[subsubsection][previousnumber=no]

I get:

\section{One}
\subsection{Oneone}
\subsubsection{Topicone}    % number = 1, OK
\subsection{Onetwo}
\subsubsection{Topictwo}    % number = 2, OK
\section{Two}
\subsubsection{Topicthree}  % number = 1, wrong
\subsection{Twoone}         % number = 2.1, now OK
\subsubsection{Topicfour}   % number = 2, wrong
\subsection{Twotwo}         % number = 2.2, now OK
\subsubsection{Topicfive}   % number = 3, wrong

So the numbering of \subsubsection{Topicthree} is reset by
\section{Two}, irrespective of the latter's resetnumber option.

Here are examples of what I'd really like (here "§" indicates a topic,
the actual section-level names (like "chapter" etc.) are not important):

I. ... "Chapter"
              § 1 ...
     1 ... "Section"
              § 2 ...  Topic in section
       1.1 ... "Subsection"
              § 3 ...  Topic in subsection
              § 4 ...
       1.2  ...
              § 5 ...
     2 ...
              § 6 ...
              § 7 ...
       2.1  ...
              § 8 ...
II. ...
              § 9 ...  Topic in chapter
     1 ...
              § 10 ...
              § 11 ...
       1.1  ...
              § 12 ...

Of course, referencing, entry in TOC, index etc. should be correct.

It would be even more preferable if one could "attach" the topic
numbering to a specified level. If the topic were attached to chapters
then the above example would become:

I. ... "Chapter"
              § 1 ...  Topic in chapter
     1 ... "Section"
              § 2 ...  Topic in section
       1.1 ... "Subsection"
              § 3 ...  Topic in subsection
              § 4 ...
       1.2  ...
              § 5 ...
     2 ...
              § 6 ...
              § 7 ...
       2.1  ...
              § 8 ...
II. ...
              § 1 ...  First topic in second chapter
     1 ...
              § 2
              § 3
       1.1  ...
              § 4  ...

One could summarize it this way: §'s are conceptually the lowest level
of subsections, their number is reset by a subsection of some higher
level (or never).

In LaTeX one can get this kind of behaviour because the numbering is
controlled by counters. The increment of one counter may be used to
reset another counter independent of the actual section level they are
used for.

Bye & Thank you all

Ulf