* too much space because of margin notes
@ 2006-07-11  3:00 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-07-11  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I would like to write a note in the margin next to some framed
formula, but I guess that the formula starts a new paragraph and
there's too much space left on the top of the frame. How can I fix
that?

\starttext

\startframedtext

\inmargin{some text in margin}
\placeformula
\startformula
a+b=c
\stopformula
How can I get rid of that space?

\stopframedtext

\stoptext

Thank you very much,
    Mojca

* Re: too much space because of margin notes
@ 2006-07-11  6:49 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-07-11  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to write a note in the margin next to some framed
> formula, but I guess that the formula starts a new paragraph and
> there's too much space left on the top of the frame. How can I fix
> that?
>
> \starttext
>
> \startframedtext
>
> \inmargin{some text in margin}
> \placeformula
> \startformula
> a+b=c
> \stopformula
> How can I get rid of that space?
>
> \stopframedtext
>
> \stoptext

See if margintext suits you better.

\margintext{some text in margin}
\placeformula.....

This moves the text into the next paragraph.

Aditya

* Re: too much space because of margin notes
@ 2006-07-11  9:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-07-11  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to write a note in the margin next to some framed
> formula, but I guess that the formula starts a new paragraph and
> there's too much space left on the top of the frame. How can I fix
> that?
>
> \starttext
>
> \startframedtext
>
> \inmargin{some text in margin}
> \placeformula
> \startformula
> a+b=c
> \stopformula
> How can I get rid of that space?
>
> \stopframedtext
>
> \stoptext

when using framed texts you run into problems with flushing, struts and the nature of boxes (vbox,vtop)

in such cases one can do several things

\starttext

\showframe

\def\MyDisplayCorrection {\vskip-\lineheight}

\margintext{some text in margin}

\starttextbackground
    \MyDisplayCorrection
    \placeformula  \startformula  a+b=c \stopformula
\stoptextbackground

\stoptext

use a Correction macro that can be nilled (since some day we may have more control over math spacing and can fix the problem)

Here is a nice alternative:

\starttext

\margintext {some text in margin}

\setupframedtexts[background={YourTrick,MyTrick}]

\definelayer[MyTrick]

\startsetups MyTrick
  \setlayer[MyTrick]{\placemargintexts}
\stopsetups

\defineoverlay[YourTrick][\setups{MyTrick}]

\startframedtext

\placeformula
\startformula
a+b=c
\stopformula
\stopframedtext

\stoptext

I'm sure that yuou can explain this on the wiki

(There is this Best Of Ruby Quiz book, maybe we should make a Best Of Context Quiz one ... )

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Context Quiz?
@ 2006-07-15  4:52   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-07-15  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> (There is this Best Of Ruby Quiz book, maybe we should make a Best Of Context Quiz one ... )

Maybe we should first start a Context Quiz?

Aditya

* Re: Context Quiz?
@ 2006-07-17  9:33     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-07-17  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> (There is this Best Of Ruby Quiz book, maybe we should make a Best Of Context Quiz one ... )
>>

> Maybe we should first start a Context Quiz?

sounds ok to me; we can use the wiki for that and or something similar (maybe patrick can install something like http://rubymanual.org on the wiki server)

we also need some volunteers to manage/moderate it

if we have a good export function, generating a book is no problem

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Context Quiz?
@ 2006-07-19 19:21       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2006-07-19 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

>> Maybe we should first start a Context Quiz?
>>

> sounds ok to me; we can use the wiki for that and or something
> similar (maybe patrick can install something like
> http://rubymanual.org on the wiki server)

Hmm, this looks like 'texshow' to me!?!?

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Context Quiz?
@ 2006-07-19 19:55         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-07-19 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>

>>> Maybe we should first start a Context Quiz?
>>>

>> sounds ok to me; we can use the wiki for that and or something
>> similar (maybe patrick can install something like
>> http://rubymanual.org on the wiki server)
>>

> Hmm, this looks like 'texshow' to me!?!?

well, texshow is organized aroun dthe commnds; the quiz is more like "i wanna do this" and then different people cooking up different solutions all combined in a nice story

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE