From: "Matthias Wächter" <matthias.waechter@tttech.com>
Subject: Re: tempdir support in texexec.rb
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:38:44 +0200	[thread overview]

On 17.07.2006 21:35, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Matthias Wächter wrote:
>> Naively, I thought that the --tempdir option would allow the 'temporary' files created/updated at a run of texexec be written to whatever is given as --tempdir=/dir/, but it doesn't work, the files remain in the current directory. Additionally, --output seems to disallow the output be put into another directory (it's always put into `pwd`).
>> Is there a (better?) way to specify where these files should go?
> currently not, an option like that is doable but would involve both an
> patch to context itself (runtime locating files) and texexec
> (inbetween/postprocessing) [pretty fuzzy btw]

I see.

> if it's because of the temp files. you can run with --purge and get them
> removed

Well, then Context could not benefit from "incremental" builds with just one run instead of 4 to 5 runs. But I get the idea.

>> $ texexec --pdf --tempdir=tmp --output=out/project.pdf project
> --output concerns the backend while --result
>
> texexec test --result=what/oeps
>
> should work ok given that what exists (i'll add a check for existence)
>> Is /me the only one who desires such a split?
> I think so

Then, is there a list of files that are automatically created by Context (not mentioning files that are manually created as part of TeX output functions and such)?

The prime aspect of my question is to have a reasonable list of file names that shouldn't be version controlled with the source code. Our scripts automatically check for unknown files and mark our documents tainted if the local version is not consistent with the repository (say, completely committed and updated). If I could instruct context to put all temporary files into a separate directory, I could simply put "tmp/*" to the ignore list, and that's it.

Maybe for this task, --purge is reasonable enough. I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Hans!

- Matthias