* Russian hyphenation
@ 2006-07-20  8:26 Ark Shraer
From: Ark Shraer @ 2006-07-20  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello to all ConTeXt users,

First of all, I'm impressed of opportunities that ConTeXt provides to
book and magazine designers. Especially I like designs of Hans Hagen's
manuals :)

I have a medium experience in LaTeX (typesetted several books with
math, tables  and figures), but I've no experience in ConTeXt at all.

I'm a russian user and interested in support of russian and ukrainian
language in ConTeXt. By the way, I already tried example from
contextgarden wiki and it works for me fine.

So my question is: how to enable russian (ukrainian) hyphenation in ConTeXt?
I tried files from http://trash1.hotmail.ru/ but these fails to
compile (in my opinion they're not compatible with modern ConTeXt, as
they maybe outdated).

If there is no straight way to solve russian hyphenation problem I'd
like to help with it :)

Thanks.

WBR, Arkady Shraer

* Re: Russian hyphenation
@ 2006-07-20  9:45 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-07-20  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ark Shraer wrote:

> So my question is: how to enable russian (ukrainian) hyphenation in ConTeXt?
> I tried files from http://trash1.hotmail.ru/ but these fails to
> compile (in my opinion they're not compatible with modern ConTeXt, as
> they maybe outdated).

It looks like all of the ConTeXt files there are already merged in
the distribution. The one thing that is missing fro mthe distribution
(and also from that website) are the actual patterns TeX needs for
hyphenation.

Greetings. Taco

* Re: Russian hyphenation
@ 2006-07-20 10:38   ` Ark Shraer
From: Ark Shraer @ 2006-07-20 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for reply,
so at this time russian hyphenation isn't available, right?
Is there a way of taking hyphenation patterns from existing tetex
distribution (I'm using Ubuntu 6.06)?

One more question: Is it technically possible to make russian messages
for ConTeXt?

Cheers, Ark

my texexec version info
 TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

               texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
               texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
                   tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
               context : ver: 2005.01.31
               cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2006.7.15  mes: english

2006/7/20, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:

> Ark Shraer wrote:
> >
> > So my question is: how to enable russian (ukrainian) hyphenation in ConTeXt?
> > I tried files from http://trash1.hotmail.ru/ but these fails to
> > compile (in my opinion they're not compatible with modern ConTeXt, as
> > they maybe outdated).
>
> It looks like all of the ConTeXt files there are already merged in
> the distribution. The one thing that is missing fro mthe distribution
> (and also from that website) are the actual patterns TeX needs for
> hyphenation.
>
> Greetings. Taco

* Re: Russian hyphenation
@ 2006-07-20 10:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-07-20 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ark Shraer wrote:
> So my question is: how to enable russian (ukrainian) hyphenation in ConTeXt?
> I tried files from http://trash1.hotmail.ru/ but these fails to
> compile (in my opinion they're not compatible with modern ConTeXt, as
> they maybe outdated).

because hyphenation patterns are rather messy (often latex specific and encoding specific) we need to generalize them first

take a look at ctxtools and search for pattern

we need to:

- add russian and ukrainian to the to be processed lost
- make sure that we convert patterns to names chars and/or utf

after that, we can make generic patterns and support of teh languages mentioned should work

we can do this off list (or at the context dev list)

- which are the pattern files that we need to look into to

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Russian hyphenation
@ 2006-07-20 10:46     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-07-20 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ark Shraer wrote:
> Thanks for reply,
> so at this time russian hyphenation isn't available, right?
> Is there a way of taking hyphenation patterns from existing tetex
> distribution (I'm using Ubuntu 6.06)?
>
> One more question: Is it technically possible to make russian messages
> for ConTeXt?

sure, you only need to provide the translations of the message blocks (you can use utf 8 chars in the messages)

when done, one can generate formats for any interface with russian messages (interfaces and messages are independent)

[later this year there will be an interface to the tex error messages and then we can also translate those]

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE